Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 30, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #10,561 of 13,800
I doubt that a simple power cycle for reset is any worse for the femto clocks than for any other component in the Pulse. The thermal cycle of an extended power down is another issue. It seems to take the femto clocks half an hour to settle stabilize and perhaps several hours to fully settle down to optimum performance.

Sorry to hear that your infinity loses connection. This is not right. There are three likely factors working here: the Pulse, the cable and the computer. The computer and the cable are the easiest things to eliminate, assuming that you do not have another Pulse available for testing. Have you tried using a different cable? this is the easiest thing to do. My guess is that you are using the 2G cable that came with the infinity upgrade perk. If the 2G cable has some kind of matching issue between gour computer and the DAC, even the 1G cable might share the same issue, so I would not use it as the first choice for testing. I would try a good basic USB cable, such as Belden Gold or similar that anyone should have in their spares.

The second easiest item to test ismthe computer. Even if you have to take the DAC to another location, or a friend's house, try running it on another computer for several hours or days. Again, bring several USB cables, such as the 2G and the good quality printer cable. These things can be a nuisance to diagnose, but several different tests should help to narrow down the culprit.

It is also possible that the power supply is causing the problem. Perhaps a grounding issue, power or groud noise, or an intermittent glitch on the line.

Still, I like the computer as the most likely culprit, as they are mass produced with an absolute minimum of profit margin, and a flaky USB chip or even some other loosely related component could cause issues with specific other products, such as an audiophile DAC.

Of coarse, odds are good that I am suggesting tests that you have already done. If so, sorry to not have been more help for you, but perhaps someone else can benefit from learning this kind of testing procedure. The key is to change only one thing at a time, determine its effect and only then move on to the next step.

I hope that you eventually get it working (more) consistently.

J.P.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #10,562 of 13,800
Speaking of connection problems with the Pulse, my Infinity keeps losing its connection every few hours of use...it usually happens when I'm watching YouTube videos. I just wanna watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars!

Cycling the power off/on fixes the issue but that's supposedly bad for the femto clocks according to Larry.

This doesn't sound right.  I'm not on a Mac but have a similar setup (Infinity 2.0/LPS/2G) as yours.  I've been running this non-stop for over a month now and I haven't had any disconnects.  I'm using a Thinkpad X220 running win7 and Foobar 1.3.9/SACD 0.84 plugin to playback 44.1/88.2/96/192k/DSD128 with no connection problems so far.  

I agree with J.P. on getting back to basics and see if you can isolate the problem.  Try connecting the Infinity directly using a quality generic usb2.0 cable and then add things back in one at a time.  One thing that stands out between our config is the ifi that you have.  Maybe try taking that out first?  My LPS is the original (floating ground) version and it's working ok with the Infinity with a 2G cable connecting everything.    

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #10,563 of 13,800
Speaking of connection problems with the Pulse, my Infinity keeps losing its connection every few hours of use...it usually happens when I'm watching YouTube videos. I just wanna watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars!

Cycling the power off/on fixes the issue but that's supposedly bad for the femto clocks according to Larry.

Check your USB cable.  I was experiencing similar issues and narrowed it down to a semi-DOA 1G cable.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #10,564 of 13,800
Thanks Gavin / Stephanie et al at LHL - got the Infinity back today (surprisingly quick given a transatlantic trip over Christmas!).

Working now, and being warmed up as I speak :wink:

I've not found out what the problem is, but it does look like the MCU firmware has been updated (although I cannot find this version via the LHL website) 

Main 2.0
USB 1.0
MCU 1.27

I understand there was a bug in the MCU 1.25 firmware which caused display issues.

Either way, I'm impressed with the timely customer support both on-line and via the RMA process.

Looking forward to 2016 and a GO V2 Infinity, V2 LPS 8, HPA, Blue and Tube Buffer - I'll need a bigger desk!

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #10,565 of 13,800
  Thanks Gavin / Stephanie et al at LHL - got the Infinity back today (surprisingly quick given a transatlantic trip over Christmas!).

Working now, and being warmed up as I speak :wink:

I've not found out what the problem is, but it does look like the MCU firmware has been updated (although I cannot find this version via the LHL website) 

Main 2.0
USB 1.0
MCU 1.27

I understand there was a bug in the MCU 1.25 firmware which caused display issues.

Either way, I'm impressed with the timely customer support both on-line and via the RMA process.

Looking forward to 2016 and a GO V2 Infinity, V2 LPS 8, HPA, Blue and Tube Buffer - I'll need a bigger desk!

Interesting.  So we can all expect a firmware update for the MCU then.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #10,568 of 13,800
I have a Pulse Xfi, how do I update it and where's can I find the firmware to update it?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Xfi is in the 1.0 chassis which has a display that cannot be updated by the end user.  

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #10,570 of 13,800
Send it to them

Happy New Year Guyz!

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #10,572 of 13,800
No other way.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #10,574 of 13,800
Where did you find that version of the MCU? I'm have a v2 infinity, and all I could find online was 1.25, and that's what support sent during troubleshooting.

I had issue with my Pulse Infinity(see my post couple pages back) that I had to update the firmware under their support page.
https://support.lhlabs.com/support/solutions/articles/5000675085-pulse-mcu-firmware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back