Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 24, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #10,531 of 13,800
True. Which we were erroneously informed would delay shipping by a couple of months at most, not by 6 months or more which is now the likely outcome and this presupposes that LH Labs delivery estimates are even accurate, when historically they've missed every shipping estimation by a wide margin.

No, the current delays have nothing to do with the chassis.  The PCBs as I understand are the same between v1 and v2.  They clearly have enough cases to go around since that's not what they're blaming things on.  They've shipped, what, couple hundred of the Infinities out in the old and new chassis combined?  If what they're telling us is true about the PCBs failing there can only be, in my opinion, these conclusions to be made:

1) They switched the PCB fabrication house to a cheaper one to save a couple of bucks (on a product that costs $2500, no less).  Clearly the new fab has QA issues, so most of them are going back and they're crawling back to their old fabrication house.  There would be no reason for this delay if they used the same fab that has worked for them manufacturing the exact same PCBs in the past.

2) Some of the PCBs in the latest batches passed QA, and these made it to Amazon instead of to any backers.

Pretty consistent with their behavior in the past to screw backers and to make an extra buck wherever they can.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #10,532 of 13,800
Is it wrong this damn wait I'm already looking at buying another DAC to compensate until I finally get my Pulse?

They "claim" my being whatever magical number they want to use this week is far back enough that I won't be affected with this new delay. So March is still the best i can hope for, being LH that means likely June. Part of me hopes that could mean other stuff might be ready then too and I can get multiple things at once, the rest of me knows this is LH so that delay likely means everything was delayed even more and It'll be the end of 2016 before this nightmare is over.

Happy New year and it all maybe finally being over.....

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #10,533 of 13,800
My Pulse Infinity might be dead. I tried to turn it on after a power outage and it stuck at the startup screen "Pulse DAC". Computer won't recognize it so I can't update the firmware. I am running LPS to it and the LPS and everything else is working fine. Very disappointed during this time of the year, I don't have a backup DAC and the Pulse is connecting my PS4 and computer. Ticket sent and waiting for instructions, hope I don't have to send them back.

EDIT: Just after I post this I was doing power-cycle desperately and suddenly my computer recognized it, and it is working again! The screen is still stuck at "Pulse DAC", but the knob works, I can adjust the volume. I may try update the firmware later.
EDIT 2:Couldn't find the main firmware so I updated the MCU using a microSD and now everything is back to normal.
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #10,534 of 13,800
Whew! Glad it worked out OK.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #10,538 of 13,800
You'll need either a different pair of cans or an equalizer to get more bass.  The Pulse pretty much delivers what's on the recording.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #10,539 of 13,800
What Gery said: the Pulse is about as neutral as you can get without being 'dry'. Adding a LPS will make it cleaner, quieter, perhaps better definition and even sweeter highs and possibly tigher bass, but not more bass. If you want more bass then you need something after the DAC to deliver it, that or some DSP to add it digitally.

J.P.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #10,540 of 13,800
Oh, by the way... how much playing time do you have on your Pulse? On mine, from about 1 hour to 24 or so the bass really did seem to be missing. Between 1 and 12 hours the sound was really dreadful. The bass started coming back, but took a while to come in and settle down. It took several hundred hours before it really came into its own.

J.P.

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #10,541 of 13,800
Thank you all. I have probably 50 hours on mine, and I think the sound is still gaining some body. I've been comparing Geek Pulse -> HD650 with Geek Pulse -> Crack -> HD650, and probably the Crack will always add more warmth and bass weight (without the Geek Pulse doing anything wrong in being a bit leaner than that). Either way it sounds like an LPS of some kind would be a worthwhile purchase.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #10,542 of 13,800
Actually those guys that are still waiting is because most of you opt for the new chassis. Perhaps getting the old chassis is a good idea. Yeah.. I got the old chassis and I'm not waiting anymore.

Pulse Xfi owners from the IGG campaign like myself did not have the option to opt for the new chassis, yet we have not received our units yet either. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #10,544 of 13,800

When did you back your Pulse? If you're still waiting for a Pulse in the 1.0 chassis I'd get on emailing support and finding out where it is. 

I did. XFi was pretty much ignored, I guess. They say they still didn't have the boards in for them, but according to their estimated response by customer service, they should've gotten them in almost a month ago. If you check their estimations and charts and timelines, none mention XFi. Infinity, X, and standard are all that is listed anywhere

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #10,545 of 13,800
Just curious what headphones were these (Geek Pulse) designed to power? My friend sent me the pulse to try with my HD800. I have the amp set to -13.5 dB and the volume on my computer at 20% and its perfectly loud. The one time I set the amp to 0 it killed my ears from over-amping. 

Also is 32/192 the max obtainable sample rate using usb? Its overkill to begin with but curious how one would get above this using usb. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back