Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #10,486 of 13,800
I have finally (after a long tedious battle) been able to get my hand on the Pulse X. When it arrive, the first thing I noticed when cycling through it's menu that the main firmware is showing 0.0, MCU 2.4. uh-oh, bad sign.

And true enough, the pulse cannot be detected by mac and Windows (yes I did install the driver correctly for windows). Help me guys, any tips to make this Frankenmonster alive and kicking? I'm located in Malaysia so RMA will be costly (Though LHLabs should be the one covering both ways as this is straight out of box death).

p.s: I did the keyhole check tips, and only the white LED is on, and yes, of course I've opened a support ticket and my case is being handled by Jody. But it has been 2 days since, so I figured the great people of Head-fi could help.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #10,487 of 13,800
  I have finally (after a long tedious battle) been able to get my hand on the Pulse X. When it arrive, the first thing I noticed when cycling through it's menu that the main firmware is showing 0.0, MCU 2.4. uh-oh, bad sign.

And true enough, the pulse cannot be detected by mac and Windows (yes I did install the driver correctly for windows). Help me guys, any tips to make this Frankenmonster alive and kicking? I'm located in Malaysia so RMA will be costly (Though LHLabs should be the one covering both ways as this is straight out of box death).

p.s: I did the keyhole check tips, and only the white LED is on, and yes, of course I've opened a support ticket and my case is being handled by Jody. But it has been 2 days since, so I figured the great people of Head-fi could help.

Jeez, I'm wondering if this is a recent Pulse X delivered by LH Labs?  I would've thought the QC/testing would be worked out by now.  I'm honestly thanking the powers that be since my Infinity is working so far.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #10,489 of 13,800
  Raise a ticket.

Thanks. I went to their website and raised a ticket. Should I be concerned that I had to create a new user account to log in to their website? I am still using the same email address that I have used for Indiegogo and all the various surveys and LHLabs forums etc...I was sure I would have an account for their site, but apparently there was no account under that email address. 
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #10,490 of 13,800
Have any international backers received their Inifnities in 2.0 chassis?  I sent a ticket yesterday and got the ol' "you have 40 units in front of you" and "boards have a high rate of failure" excuse.  Right -- they fail so often LH feels fine putting 15 of them on Amazon for 2.5 grand each?

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #10,491 of 13,800
Thanks. I went to their website and raised a ticket. Should I be concerned that I had to create a new user account to log in to their website? I am still using the same email address that I have used for Indiegogo and all the various surveys and LHLabs forums etc...I was sure I would have an account for their site, but apparently there was no account under that email address. :confused_face_2:

If you haven't logged a ticket before then you would have to create a separate log in for their tech support site. I know their forums have gone through many iterations each requiring a new account but I believe their tech support site is still on the first iteration.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #10,493 of 13,800
If you haven't logged a ticket before then you would have to create a separate log in for their tech support site. I know their forums have gone through many iterations each requiring a new account but I believe their tech support site is still on the first iteration.

Yeah they don't have a way of automatically syncing the logins and passwords with indiegogo.  It makes sense and also is better for your privacy.  Though it would be nice if they just linked up the products ordered and just showed it all in one place under their website.  Instead they keep having us confirm what we ordered.  I think the support site is on the second iteration at least.  Which you had to create a new login for too (after the first iteration).  They're learning, slowly.  I think most importantly they are eventually rolling out products.  I hope their products start getting to retailers (which they say they have started to sign people up I think) so they can start creating some cash flow other than the funds they got from selling on IGG.  

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #10,494 of 13,800
  Have any international backers received their Inifnities in 2.0 chassis?  I sent a ticket yesterday and got the ol' "you have 40 units in front of you" and "boards have a high rate of failure" excuse.  Right -- they fail so often LH feels fine putting 15 of them on Amazon for 2.5 grand each?

I'm an international backer and received my Infinity 2.0 around mid-Nov.  Hmm....the high failure rate is concerning.  I just hope mine keeps working.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #10,495 of 13,800
  I'm an international backer and received my Infinity 2.0 around mid-Nov.  Hmm....the high failure rate is concerning.  I just hope mine keeps working.

I'd keep on using it to make sure it doesn't have issues.  Electronics for me usually work well if they work well initially.  They've had the issues with board suppliers before.  I'm surprised it's come up again.  

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #10,496 of 13,800
  I'd keep on using it to make sure it doesn't have issues.  Electronics for me usually work well if they work well initially.  They've had the issues with board suppliers before.  I'm surprised it's come up again.  

Agreed.  I've been keeping this thing on and playing since I got it.  Lucky the LPS that was sitting for so long works because the wall wart/smps was DOA.  

The prices on this stuff is totally depressed that I can't even get back what I put in from looking at the 'for sale' sections so don't have much choice but to hang on to it for now.  I have a friend that seems to have a flaky Xfi as well since he needs to power cycle it a couple of times before DSD would play in foobar and some spdif issues.

Fingers are crossed at this point.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #10,497 of 13,800
  Agreed.  I've been keeping this thing on and playing since I got it.  Lucky the LPS that was sitting for so long works because the wall wart/smps was DOA.  

The prices on this stuff is totally depressed that I can't even get back what I put in from looking at the 'for sale' sections so don't have much choice but to hang on to it for now.  I have a friend that seems to have a flaky Xfi as well since he needs to power cycle it a couple of times before DSD would play in foobar and some spdif issues.

Fingers are crossed at this point.

We basically have no choice but to enjoy these units.  I'm still waiting for my Vi Tube, so not holding my breath.  Maybe their secondary market value of LHL products will have increased by then.  The Vi series does look pretty good.  Until people start complaining about it of course LOL.  

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #10,498 of 13,800
  We basically have no choice but to enjoy these units.  I'm still waiting for my Vi Tube, so not holding my breath.  Maybe their secondary market value of LHL products will have increased by then.  The Vi series does look pretty good.  Until people start complaining about it of course LOL.  

We live and learn.  Same thing with my buddy with the Xfi.  He's waiting on the Vi as well.  I'm genuinely concerned about QC with these guys.  If each and every one is tested as they claim, there shouldn't be DOAs like this.  This is the first time I've had a DOA wall wart as well.  If I didn't have an LPS (lucky it works), I wouldn't know whether it was a dead Infinity or the wall wart.  I know it's a cheap Chinese piece of kit and the Infinity works so I can let it slide.  I'm just thinking what if others don't have an LPS?  Not testing properly only costs them time/$ in support afterwards.   

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #10,499 of 13,800
  We live and learn.  Same thing with my buddy with the Xfi.  He's waiting on the Vi as well.  I'm genuinely concerned about QC with these guys.  If each and every one is tested as they claim, there shouldn't be DOAs like this.  This is the first time I've had a DOA wall wart as well.  If I didn't have an LPS (lucky it works), I wouldn't know whether it was a dead Infinity or the wall wart.  I know it's a cheap Chinese piece of kit and the Infinity works so I can let it slide.  I'm just thinking what if others don't have an LPS?  Not testing properly only costs them time/$ in support afterwards.   

That's very true.  Clearly they cheaped out on the wall wart supplier.  Usually those are tested before coming off the production line I would think.  Choosing a supplier that doesn't mean corners were cut.  The Chinese factories are actually getting quite good.  But of course there are many different levels of competence out there.  As you can see from all the Chinese audio brands out there, they have actually gotten quite good at manufacturing these relatively simple electronics.  The software on the other hand is another story.  I don't think you really have a good interface out there for Chinese DAPs.  That said LHL stuff had problems with firmware too, so I really think it's how much effort you put in there to make sure you design a good interface and that it works 100% through thorough testing.  The testing that Larry does (at least shown in the videos is running it through a test bench that shows the DNR for channel balance).  I'm not sure what they do beyond that.  I definitely don't think they test out every input/output before/after assembly.  So when they say they test every single unit, it's really a question of is the testing sufficient.  And it's shown to be not sufficient.  

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #10,500 of 13,800
Would you mind informing us when you first backed your Pulse? As I initially backed in October 2013 and am still awaiting my Pulse Infinity 2.0 despite assertions from LH Labs `Customer Disservice' that shipping would be imminent six weeks ago. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back