Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 21, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #10,471 of 13,800
The LH Labs apologists will undoubtedly resurface soon and regurgitate their "But it's Crowdfunding" mantra as an excuse for this company and it's utter contempt for backers. Waiting 26 months (and counting) for my Pulse Infinity is bad enough, but the fact that LH Labs are still prioritising Amazon over fulfilling backers orders just beggars belief.  
angry_face.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #10,472 of 13,800
The LH Labs apologists will undoubtedly resurface soon and regurgitate their "But it's Crowdfunding" mantra as an excuse for this company and it's utter contempt for backers. Waiting 26 months (and counting) for my Pulse Infinity is bad enough, but the fact that LH Labs are still prioritising Amazon over fulfilling backers orders just beggars belief.  :angry_face:  

Have you tried contacting Gina? I received my infinity 1.0 shortly after asking her directly. All the best!

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #10,473 of 13,800
  The LH Labs apologists will undoubtedly resurface soon and regurgitate their "But it's Crowdfunding" mantra as an excuse for this company and it's utter contempt for backers. Waiting 26 months (and counting) for my Pulse Infinity is bad enough, but the fact that LH Labs are still prioritising Amazon over fulfilling backers orders just beggars belief.  
angry_face.gif

Hard to argue with this.  I honestly feel really lucky that I got my stuff mid-Nov.  Sigh  

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #10,474 of 13,800
26 months is nothing. XD

Let's put this in perspective. I backed the Project Phoenix video game in September 2013.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/description

Here's the news I saw last week:
http://www.destructoid.com/project-phoenix-kickstarter-slated-for-2015-pushed-to-2018-325845.phtml
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/posts/1437738

Yah, 2018.
Refunds

We know a lot of people are disappointed with the delays and organization of Project Phoenix. We are not considering refunds at this time.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #10,475 of 13,800
The unfortunate delay is comparable but not the reward. A more apt comparison would be the crowdfunded PS Audio `Sprout' which arrived on time and with no glitches. So crowdfunding a DAC/Amp and fulfilling backer pledges on time is eminently doable.  

Quote:
26 months is nothing. XD

Let's put this in perspective. I backed the Project Phoenix video game in September 2013.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/description

Here's the news I saw last week:
http://www.destructoid.com/project-phoenix-kickstarter-slated-for-2015-pushed-to-2018-325845.phtml
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/posts/1437738

Yah, 2018.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #10,476 of 13,800
Wow, I came late to the LH train.  I knew nothing about the DAC or company.  I needed a DAC/amp and my friend had one of these in standard edition that was new-in-box.  Probably waited a long time like you all based on the arrival in October 2015 and a backer price of $189.  Had I researched this company a bit more I would have probably hesitated as I'd rather support a company that respects their customers.  I don't know the full history of the company with its backers.  We all underestimate how long things will take to complete, whether at work or home.  My boss has a rule for grad students.  Ask the student how long something will take then double it and add one month.  If there are going to be delays then the company needs to keep backers current and not fulfill Amazon orders until all domestic and international backers have gotten their products.  With a good approach such as this one can expect a lifetime of loyal customers.  Look at me, I'm not one that has been burned by LH, but hearing these stories you can bet I probably would not back anything else they did.  There is so much good equipment out there (can you say Schiit and iFi) that one can pick a company that is good to its customers.  I consider myself a pretty big fan of iFi products.  Rather than just return to the iFi iDSD Micro I decided to try something new just for kicks.  Now, what would make me more positive about LH is we find out that 95% of people have received their items and though bad it is a small minority that have not.  Still bad, but I might buy something from them on Black Friday :)  

One reason I don't get into crowdfunding is personal experience with non-audio equipment waiting periods.  I just don't have the patience.  However, I do recognize the phenomenal deal one can get as a backer.  Really amazing prices on amazing equipment.  Liquid Carbon and 1964 gear is a more recent reminder.  

Good luck guys with the wait.   

Now with that all said, I didn't like the Pulse out of the box.  I am now starting to dig it about 20 hours later.  Call it mental or mechanical burn-in.  Will be interested to hear how the sound improves with Jay Audio's LPS. 

Quote:

From Amazon web site five minutes ago regarding LHLabs Infinity:

"Only 9 left in stock, (more on the way)"
"Get it before Christmas"
"Want it Tuesday, Dec. 22? Order within 9 hours and choose One-day Shipping"
"FREE Shipping"

What? Perhaps the Amazon review section would be a good place to educate potential customers about LHLab's unsavory and capricious business practices. I was smart enough to stop earlier and not waste my energy on the Infinity, so nothing to discuss about that device from me. If I was someone waiting on an Infinity, ordered over a year ago, was told it would be delivered (fill in the blank BS date), then saw units for sale for one day free delivery on Amazon, my usually calm temperament would go thermonuclear.

ShawnB, perhaps a question that you should ask LHLabs is how many of those 190 units ahead of you will go to Amazon and when was the Amazon order placed with LHLabs.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #10,478 of 13,800
Raise a ticket.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #10,479 of 13,800
Having raised numerous tickets and been repeatedly misinformed about the imminent delivery (blatant lies from LH Labs) of my still yet to be shipped Pulse Infinity, I'd say that your best bet is PRAYING to every major deity and a number of the minor ones too. Though if you have an Amazon account you can easily circumvent your angst and order a shiny new Infinity Pulse and have it delivered next day (USA only). Because that's how much LH Labs don't give a damn about it's backers.

UK Infinity 2.0 backer from Nov 2013 here. I might contact Gina to see if I can get an update on my Infinity. I haven't been on the LHLabs site in ages. What's the best way to contact them these days? 

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #10,480 of 13,800
Correct me if I'm wrong... Isn't this bad business?
You have paid customers waiting for their products. Who are now pissed off and aren't going to spend another penny on your product if ever again.
You can't start a new crowd source project to raise money because no one trust you.
So no new money is coming in. At the same time you have overhead and payroll to pay each month.
How long will it take before the profit that you would have made erode away by not delivering the product?
And if this continues, how long before you're in the negative?

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #10,481 of 13,800
Yup

EDIT: although from what I have seen on kickstarter even companies with bad names can still push out a crowd sourced funding campaign by cause enough people don't know their reputation. Hopefully the audiophile community is small enough for this not to happen.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #10,482 of 13,800
The unfortunate delay is comparable but not the reward. A more apt comparison would be the crowdfunded PS Audio `Sprout' which arrived on time and with no glitches. So crowdfunding a DAC/Amp and fulfilling backer pledges on time is eminently doable.

Not comparable. The PS Audio Sprout Kickstarter campaign was simply to fund setting up and starting production of a completed and production ready product - precisely as described in their campaign. This was also from a long established audiophile product company.

The Pulse campaign may have been ambitious, but never suggesed that te product was ready to enter production.

Still... I, as a strong supporter of LH Labs am becoming more disillusioned with them even after receiving and thoroughly enjoying my Pulse X∞. I understand the need to fulfill a minimal first shipment commitment with a retail vendor, but restocking that before existing stock is depeleted and long before all campaign backers (who have already paid and have been waiting many months) receive their product is horrible management of one of their potentially strongest resources - the campaign backers and their powerful word of mouth free advertising.

I was going to post a positive review on Amazon - after all campaign backers had received their units. I am now considering posting a one star review of LH Labs stating the above reasons. A positive review of the infinity may follow - after all backers have been fulfilled. :frowning2:

J.P.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #10,484 of 13,800

Sprout was already made before the campaign even started though, which is entirely different from building from the ground up with the Pulse DAC. The prototypes of the Pulse seen in the original Indiegogo campaign video wasn't even close to what it is now....Perkageddon aside. XD

From their Kickstarter page:
Pre-production prototypes have been built and the product is fully engineered.
We are doing the Kickstarter program to fund the tooling costs of ramping up production, as well as the large inventory costs associated with building this product and keeping the costs where we need them to be.

Versus the Pulse:
https://web.archive.org/web/20131031002015/http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-pulse-a-digital-audio-awesomifier-for-your-desktop
Not Your Typical Crowdfunding Campaign
When we decided to create a product that was more consumer friendly, we knew that crowdfunding was the best way to gain market research and determine the demand for our new line of consumer electronics. What we didn’t expect, was our backers to become part of a force that helped us to build a better product.
  • We want you to tell us how we can make Geek Pulse better. We want you to become part of the Geek Pulse team and help us in the development of a great product!
  • The Geek Pulse DAC is just one component in a line that we hope to continue building that will work together in synchronized harmony! Your feedback is key in helping us to develop this line so that you can build your own personal high definition audio system to suit your needs.

Those are two very different ways to create a product. Like the Pulse, Project Phoenix (and partially why I brought it up) is not complete, is basically starting from the ground up upon being funded, and they're using community feedback to create the game.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #10,485 of 13,800
Still doesn't excuse the lack of communication with backers and fulfilling orders with a vendor before sending product to backers WHO HELPED FUND THE CREATION OF THE PRODUCT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
I wouldn't buy anything from these duplicitous a-holes if they were the last audio company in business. Their business practises are despicable!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back