Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 17, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #10,426 of 13,800
Don't have the Pulse, have the Geek Out Special Edition...agree with the above though (with absolutely no knowledge, never stops me...). Headphone amp in Pulse probably pretty good from what I have heard of LH Labs, also have the LC, probably be better with line out to the LC.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #10,427 of 13,800

Sorry, that was a bit of a joke lol.

Objectively to the human ear, they won't sound any different. Of course, there will always be people who say otherwise.

And the earth was once considered flat and it was also thought the Sun revolved around it!
wink_face.gif

Singled Ended cables have a low-level summation of the left and right channel which will generate low level cross-talk and distortion whereas fully balanced systems do not.  Some people notice it, others don't.  To dismiss it completely because you may not hear isn't objective.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #10,428 of 13,800
I was staying away from yet another cable discussion/argument,, definitely hear cable differences, though.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #10,429 of 13,800
Can't help it doctor.  Like I said, because one doesn't hear it doesn't mean it doesn't exist and it's not objective, it's subjective.  Subject to ones own personal experiences.  In single ended connections the L and R ground IS shared and introduces some level of cross-talk between channels at the drivers.  In a fully balanced connection L and R + and - signals are not shared therefore no low level cross-talk.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #10,430 of 13,800
I know....

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #10,431 of 13,800
  Thanks Narayna23 and wingsounds13 for the responses.  I will definitely report back after a couple weeks of burn-in.  I am definitely ok with integrated HP amps.  My previous iDSD had a good internal HP amp.

Do not have boutique cables at the moment.  Standard stuff, sold off my Wireworld cables a while ago.  Maybe I'll grab another one of their USB cables.  To be honest, I have capped cable purchases at around $100.  Never had a super high end USB cable.  Something I would like to audition before spending 200-300.   Same goes for the linear power supply.  Probably would have been much cheaper if I got in on the crowdfunding prices. 

Macbook > Amarra > Vaunix Lab Brick USB hub > Pulse > Grado GH-1/Kam HP1/Savant

If you don´t want to break the bank Supra is a well regarded USB cable 

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id=8131&osCsid=6frbtd4fktohlca503f3ie4e46

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #10,432 of 13,800
Gosh, it must be nice for you guys having your Pulse Infinity (chassis 2.0) units when the vast majority of European backers are STILL WAITING to receive our shipping confirmations. Why this crowd funded project hasn't yet delivered my unit having first pledged in October 2013 beggars belief, especially as Amazon have stock of the very same unit that I'm (and many others) are still awaiting. LH Labs you should be ashamed of your lacklustre customer service and fulfilment regime.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #10,433 of 13,800
Was told in November there are about 130 units before my Infinity. Got a reply yesterday that there are still about 110-120 units before mine.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #10,434 of 13,800

And the earth was once considered flat and it was also thought the Sun revolved around it!
wink_face.gif

Singled Ended cables have a low-level summation of the left and right channel which will generate low level cross-talk and distortion whereas fully balanced systems do not.  Some people notice it, others don't.  To dismiss it completely because you may not hear isn't objective.

Careful on the "once considered flat" comment as believe it or not there are some people, including some on HF, that still believe the earth is flat...

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #10,435 of 13,800
I'm now regretting upgrading to the 2.0 case. If they would have told me the truth in July that it will ship next year I would not have switched. Instead I got a quote for August. I'm wondering if they knew they wouldn't deliver.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #10,436 of 13,800
I too feel your angst. :frowning2:

What's worse is that I was erroneously informed a month ago that my Pulse Infinity would be "shipping soon" which was obviously a blatant lie.

I'm now regretting upgrading to the 2.0 case. If they would have told me the truth in July that it will ship next year I would not have switched. Instead I got a quote for August. I'm wondering if they knew they wouldn't deliver.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #10,437 of 13,800
  Careful on the "once considered flat" comment as believe it or not there are some people, including some on HF, that still believe the earth is flat...

Thank you, Michael, for your support!
smile.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #10,438 of 13,800
  New Pulse owner here.  Took some time off from Head-fi and the Pulse (basic level) is my first DAC since returning.  Purchased the Pulse from a friend who did not use it so I got it new in box.  I previously had the iFi Micro iDSD, Ciunas, W4S DAC-2, Anedio D2, Fiio X5, etc.  I like trying new things so I figured I'd give the Pulse a chance, especially purchasing at crowdfunding price.     

I still need to go through this thread in detail, but based on my thread searches, I must have chassis 1.0.  My LED is not blue like I see in the pictures, but more white/off-white and a very dim display at that.  Is that normal? Is there a setting for color and brightness that I am missing.  Not a deal breaker, but I like the brighter, blue display LED that I see in pictures by other Pulse owners.  I know many do not like bright LEDs, but this is very dim.

Based on what I have read, there is burn-in with this unit and I'm only a couple hours into it.  If the sound doesn't change dramatically I probably will sell it as I have liked my previous DACs much better.  Or, do most of you feel the amp section is not that great and I should pair it with an amp?  I have a Liquid Carbon arriving at some point in the near future.     

I will not give up on it yet, but I am curious to hear how dramatic the change in sound was for you all after burn-in and/or after pairing it with a good amp.

Hi WNBC, 
Like you, I bought my Pulse SFi from a early backer at crownfunding price. Out of the box, the Pulse is not better than my older setup (iDSD nano + o2 amplifier). After burn in, about 100 hours, it sound better, more open, bass is tighter, but not so much. If you really want to take the best out of the Pulse, I suggest you to buy a LPS. I bought mine from Audiophonics.fr, It is identical to Jay's Audio LPS and trust me, it really transforms the Pulse to another level, and unlike burn-in, its benefit shows immediately after plugging. The LPS frees up soundstage, reduces the grain in treble, and improved bass resolution.
   With adding the LPS, my Pulse SFi is really on par with (and for me little bit better than) the Gungnir DS, and superior to some more expensive DAC like Yulong and Mytek DSD192. Considering I paid only 550 euro for Pulse and 150 euro for LPS, it is really a bargain. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #10,439 of 13,800
Thanks for the suggestion.  

Quote:
  If you don´t want to break the bank Supra is a well regarded USB cable 

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id=8131&osCsid=6frbtd4fktohlca503f3ie4e46

Initially I wasn't going to seriously consider adding the power supply, but it does seem many are suggesting it, especially if I am not looking to add other DACs in the near future.  I have to get over the mental block that accessories like cables and power supplies should not end up costing more than the main unit.

Hi WNBC, 
Like you, I bought my Pulse SFi from a early backer at crownfunding price. Out of the box, the Pulse is not better than my older setup (iDSD nano + o2 amplifier). After burn in, about 100 hours, it sound better, more open, bass is tighter, but not so much. If you really want to take the best out of the Pulse, I suggest you to buy a LPS. I bought mine from Audiophonics.fr, It is identical to Jay's Audio LPS and trust me, it really transforms the Pulse to another level, and unlike burn-in, its benefit shows immediately after plugging. The LPS frees up soundstage, reduces the grain in treble, and improved bass resolution.
   With adding the LPS, my Pulse SFi is really on par with (and for me little bit better than) the Gungnir DS, and superior to some more expensive DAC like Yulong and Mytek DSD192. Considering I paid only 550 euro for Pulse and 150 euro for LPS, it is really a bargain. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #10,440 of 13,800
  Was told in November there are about 130 units before my Infinity. Got a reply yesterday that there are still about 110-120 units before mine.

I was told today I have about 190 units ahead of me. Rough estimate  is late February for me . At this rate I'll be lucky to get it by June :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back