Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 23, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #10,201 of 13,800
I first backed for a Geek Pulse DAC on 29th October 2013. Though I knew that opting for chassis 2.0 would delay delivery I'd hoped to have received it by now.

Contacting the LH Labs `Happiness Team' a week ago elicited this response -

This is Stephanie at LH labs, thank you for your time. Our second batch of Pulse Infinity units in the New Chassis are getting ready to ship out. Your unit will ship out in this batch :) When your unit is ready to leave our facility you will receive a shipping notification with a tracking number.
  Best Wishes,
Stephanie
Customer Happiness Agent

- So hopefully international backers will receive our units soon, as goodness knows that we've waited long enough for them. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
End of December 2013 Infinity 2.0 UK backer also. I was told I would receve it by the end of the month but at this rate I guess it will be in 2016.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #10,203 of 13,800
  Wow, open a ticket and see what's going on.  I received mine under extenuating circumstances even though I backed a couple weeks later than you.  I am currently in Shanghai and since China customs is a bigger pain than any of you guys can imagine, they decided it was best to send it to HK.  Therefore I flew to HK to pick them up.  Not trying to jump the queue but since I had to fly to pick it up, they did me a favor.

WOW - I never had thought that anything could be a bigger pain in the a... than german customs. ....

On a Lightspeed Externder Cable (49 USD on IGG plus 13 for shipping) I now had to pay an additional 39,08 EURO as import tax, customs  plus DHL handling fee just because the Commercial invoice doesn't include a number for shipping but the total 64 USD.
Therefore german customs assume a shipping cost number and then the total (roughly 90 USD) is used to calculate tax and customs.
All in all the price for the cable has doubled this way.
That is ridiculous but it is reality.
I can recover some of that money but I have to negotiate with customs and DHL and I have to do this for each and every package that LHL is sending me.

I opened a ticket with LHL and asked them to change their routine how they are writing their commercial invoices - I hope they will listen.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #10,204 of 13,800
  WOW - I never had thought that anything could be a bigger pain in the a... than german customs. ....

On a Lightspeed Externder Cable (49 USD on IGG plus 13 for shipping) I now had to pay an additional 39,08 EURO as import tax, customs  plus DHL handling fee just because the Commercial invoice doesn't include a number for shipping but the total 64 USD.
Therefore german customs assume a shipping cost number and then the total (roughly 90 USD) is used to calculate tax and customs.
All in all the price for the cable has doubled this way.
That is ridiculous but it is reality.
I can recover some of that money but I have to negotiate with customs and DHL and I have to do this for each and every package that LHL is sending me.

I opened a ticket with LHL and asked them to change their routine how they are writing their commercial invoices - I hope they will listen.

Hehe, anything imported gets tripled here so that's why you see people buying up everything from everywhere else.  Don't want to get into it but there's a reason why I went to HK.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #10,205 of 13,800
So some people say that DSD is more euphonic and I have been experimenting with PCM -> DSD real time conversion via Foobar2k.

Now this works fine at multiples of 44.1khz (ie 44.1 and 88.2), which gives is the equivalent of DSD64 or DSD128 on the Pulse, but it doesn't seem to accept multiples of 48 or 96khz (playback defaults to PCM 48khz or 96khz). I am not sure if this is an inherent limitation of the Foobar asio dsd plugin or the Pulse firmware.

Does anyone know if the Pulse accepts DSD equivalent sampling rates at those multiples and if so, how did you get it working? Apparently from what I could gather on Google, some dsd DACs just don't example rates that are the equivalent of multiples of 48khz in PCM-land. Is that right?

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #10,206 of 13,800
Raised a ticket and was told there were 130 units before my order. Will take up to a week and a half before it would be sent out. Still waiting in Australia.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #10,207 of 13,800
I also got an answer, basically saying that batch 2 is about to be shipped or shipping (good for all that are in) and that my infinity will probably be delivered in batch 3 which is planned to start shipping in January 2016...

(I am an international backer and have backed the Pulse DAC in November 2014.)
Here is the answer from Stephanie at LHLabs (she surely is doing her best on the customer "happiness" side - to my mind this word is a contradiction in itself regarding LHL)

"The current estimate our production team has provided is that the 2nd batch of Pulse X infinity units will ship out within the next week and be completed in December. The third batch will begin shipment in the beginning of January and be completed by early February."

So - don't expect too much guys - there is still  a looong waiting time  for many of us ..

I must say that I am seriously thinking of selling every LHLabs bit as I won't  be needing it anymore when I receive it.

Worst Situation of course is with the WAVE.  I had funded it in July 2014  - and look at how many really good DAPs that are way cheaper have come out since then.

Crowddesigining definitely ONLY helped LHLabs - NOT the backers - my 2c, but we have all llearned this the hard way I guess.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #10,208 of 13,800
I am glad that i ordered the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon. Even though it was delayed by a couple of months due to parts shortage, will be receiving mine within this weekend. Also got a Emotiva DC-1 DAC to pair with it. I will be selling the Infinity the moment i get it.

So utterly and absolutely sick of the constant delays, new campaigns, and frequent mails about discounts and sales. Sheesh.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #10,209 of 13,800
When received my Infinity will be blown up with explosives and the footage uploaded to YouTube. Wasteful? probably, but mentally cathartic given the BS that LH Labs have subjected backers to during the last 2 years+.

Quote:
  I am glad that i ordered the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon. Even though it was delayed by a couple of months due to parts shortage, will be receiving mine within this weekend. Also got a Emotiva DC-1 DAC to pair with it. I will be selling the Infinity the moment i get it.

So utterly and absolutely sick of the constant delays, new campaigns, and frequent mails about discounts and sales. Sheesh.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #10,210 of 13,800

I'll gladly take it off your hands :wink:

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #10,214 of 13,800
I think we all learned that crowd funding only helps the companies that are backed.  People were led to think that they were getting good deals, but really the main benefit is helping the company.  People just get frustrated when a company either isn't responsive (which LHL thankfully is very responsive) and diversifying too much and too many unending perks (which LHL is more than guilty of).  That said, they've developed some products that should get them retail ready, and hopefully should be around to stay.  

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #10,215 of 13,800
Backed my Infinity October 29, 2013 and was shipped May 28, 2015. 
A 1.6 year of wait for a dual mono AQ2M DAC that cost me $900, realistically IMO is still a bargain.

If I will spend that money now to get other present day DACs?

No, I think with the sound I am hearing, I think I still got a great bargain.
Not very pickey with looks and knobs. Its now under my desk anyway along with the LPS4

If LH Labs will have other nice ideas will you support it again.  

And will wait again? No, I am good for now. Currently saving for other acquisitions.
( Funded and In waiting: Geek Wave Signature, Pulse Tube HPA w/ modules,  Saving for: Audio Zenith PMx2, Uptone's USB Regen) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back