Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 22, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #10,186 of 13,800
I had this issue with me pulse LPS and after a few emails they agreed to fix my LPS which I had bought from one of the early backers and gave me an extended 1 year warranty.

Also this, where if you are persistent and call the customer warranty people, apparently some people do get different treatment from their stated policies. Why not change the policy rather than leave it to some sort of discretionary rule where if you can get them on a good day, you get, for example, refunds, warranty transfer, rma shipping at their cost, etc. But on another day a person with the same sort of issues does not get the benefit of refunds, warranty transfer, free return shipping for rma, etc.

It just makes the whole process more uncertain and adds to the perception of unreliability.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #10,187 of 13,800
Exactly, the discretionary approach does nothing to allay fear and gain the backer's goodwill. The point is, it cost them almost next to nothing to do it; it's a no brainer.

Moreover, the delay plus the poor resale value as a result of all that has happened, probably about wiped out most of the discount gained.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #10,188 of 13,800
It's sad/funny when you see people in hear putting their effort, thoughts, and emotion into figuring out a solution for the problem, but knowing that LHL doesn't come in to read anything. If they do, they're certainly being inconspicuous enough and and holding out long enough on making said changes that no one will ever suspect any of these posts to have had any connection to the solution...

Griz really has the right idea with cutting the strings and jumping ship. You keep the Pulse/Infinity + LPS is you like it, but if you're having trouble you might as well leave because this isn't going to be a fun party to stay at. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping my Infinity keeps making nice music and hopefully the LPS4 works flawlessly when I get it back from RMA. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #10,189 of 13,800
Boy, hope the Vi Tube dac crew are happier campers when they start to ship.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #10,190 of 13,800
how much did you pay?
I did get a free infinity upgrade but at 1400 out of pocket I am pretty sure they made their money back from me and others that paid what I did. We can't be naiive and think any company would sell something to someone they do not know for more than the cost of parts and marketing fees etc to atleast break even. 

30% restocking fee?

I was early so Infinity with LPS4 roughly $1500 but I bought 2 along with 2 Blues which are still somewhere in development.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #10,191 of 13,800
My suggestion isn't meant to squeeze anything extra from them, but my motivation is to see them get of this quagmire.

After all, if the dac works without a hitch, then what do we gain from it?

Except that, because of renewed confidence, we get a better resale value if in future we decide to sell it.

And what do they gain from it? A lot!

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #10,192 of 13,800
  Dude they could have made a wooden box. This thing looks down right cheap and the knob is rickity with its stupid ticks. 

I was one of the early backers and also called them out on the BS marketing here as well.  I can assure you guys I know exactly how you feel.  Thanks to Stephanie and the rest of the customer happiness team, I recently received all 3 of my Infinity 2.0s and I agree with you guys that the volume knob could be better since it's a bit too sensitive when trying to select things from the menu.

Grizz, I'm not sure how you got a free infinity upgrade but these things all costed me more than $1400 (Infinity/LPS etc) for each setup as well.  To me, it's not small change.

Just like when I called them out on the BS marketing, I wanna be objective and fair to say that the current customer happiness team has gone out of their way to assist me in a more than timely manner.  

I've been running in the Infinity/LPS/2G (FTM filter) setup non-stop for about a week now and upgraded to the 3.26 drivers.  I did run into an unknown error during playback with Foobar/WASAPI like someone else posted earlier but it's been working ok so far with the 3.26 drivers.  I haven't run into any show stopping bugs yet and haven't had the popping noises due to the DAC chips resetting when changing sample rates (44.1/88.2/96/192).

Since I haven't been in the position to listen to the diverse amount of equipment that everyone has I'd like to say that this setup driving my HD650's (single ended) sound pretty good and I really have no complaints about sound quality. 

I'm an international backer and picked this up from HK and I first listened to the Infinity going into a pair of Clones Audio amps (single ended) and LS50s as well as a balanced pair of LCD-3s.  To be honest, I have no complaints about sound quality since all the music I tested sounded smoother without the harshness/sibilance of lesser equipment.  To me, this is a great DAC and the built-in headphone amp circuit is more than good enough for me.  Of course, I haven't been fortunate enough to listen to all the other better equipment that some of you guys have so this is all my personal experience.  

It is unfortunate that it looks like everyone is dumping the Pulses and depressing the prices so that I can't even get back what I put in if I sell, but the sound quality is there IMHO.  

I also understand everyone's concerns on reliability/RMA etc and I can assure you I've got all the tickets to prove my concerns regarding testing/extended warranties etc.  The warranty on my LPS's basically expired waiting for the Pulse and I didn't even know if they were faulty or not.  

Therefore, I agree with you guys that LH Labs can improve in a lot of areas and also on the warranty due to the extended wait for the Pulse etc.  But to be fair, even high end brands that I've come across tend to have non-transferrable warranties as well as 20% or so restocking so LH isn't the only ones playing this game.  

Bottom line is I know exactly how everyone feels since I'm right there with you since Jan2014 and now that I finally have the stuff I'm going to continue testing and come back to you guys after burn-in and report what my thoughts are and any issues.  So far, I have no complaints regarding the sound quality, but that could be because I don't have the reference gear that you guys have.  You guys have depressed the prices that it makes it difficult to sell.  LOL   

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #10,193 of 13,800
  I was one of the early backers and also called them out on the BS marketing here as well.  I can assure you guys I know exactly how you feel.  Thanks to Stephanie and the rest of the customer happiness team, I recently received all 3 of my Infinity 2.0s and I agree with you guys that the volume knob could be better since it's a bit too sensitive when trying to select things from the menu.

Grizz, I'm not sure how you got a free infinity upgrade but these things all costed me more than $1400 (Infinity/LPS etc) for each setup as well.  To me, it's not small change.

I didn't get an lps. I got an upgrade from the xfi to infinity because they told me my unit would be ready and then they pushed it back again when I asked. 

I paid 1400 then bought an LPS from someone here. You guys paid less than me if you got an LPS and infinity for 1400. 1400 for both actually sounds reasonable. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #10,194 of 13,800
  I didn't get a free lps. I got an upgrade from the xfi to infinity. 

I paid 1400 then bought an LPS from someone here. You guys paid less than me if you got an LPS and infinity for 1400. 1400 for both actually sounds reasonable. 

Hi Grizz,

Yea, interested to know the story behind the free infinity upgrade.  It was less than 1500 but I can't remember exactly right now.  That price was for the Infinity/LPS/Cables since I backed in Jan2014.  

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #10,198 of 13,800
End of December 2013 Infinity 2.0 UK backer also. I was told I would receve it by the end of the month but at this rate I guess it will be in 2016.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #10,200 of 13,800
Also still waiting in the UK. Originally backed the Pulse on 14th December 2013.

Wow, open a ticket and see what's going on.  I received mine under extenuating circumstances even though I backed a couple weeks later than you.  I am currently in Shanghai and since China customs is a bigger pain than any of you guys can imagine, they decided it was best to send it to HK.  Therefore I flew to HK to pick them up.  Not trying to jump the queue but since I had to fly to pick it up, they did me a favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back