Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 19, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #10,156 of 13,800

Impressive perseverance. I see your For Sale ad there XD

Good luck with the next one, man 
L3000.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #10,158 of 13,800
Nov 20, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #10,161 of 13,800
Nov 20, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #10,162 of 13,800
I use Windows Defender; I can't say I've used any other anti-malware software in years (since W7's release). No problems with 3.26 for me.

Sound quality wise, there might(?) be a little more instrument separation with my 24/352.8 test track, but it's not really something I would say is worth noting. Plus, it's near impossible to accurately A/B between drivers unless you have 2 identical computers since it takes at least 2 minutes to get things installed/uninstalled/reconnect peripherals.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #10,164 of 13,800
My Pulse XFI is heading back to LH for repair.  Volume knob became unresponsive and when trying to play Audirvana through USB, Audirvana wouldn't play and kept giving an error message.  When trying to play through iTunes, would on play on laptops speakers even though the Pulse was selected as the output.  Tried all of LH's recommended fixes and nothing worked, so it's heading back to them.

While I have been quite pleased with the audio of the XFI, I am considering selling it along with the LPS4 when I get it back.  Thinking of replacing it with a Wyred 4 Sound Dac2.  Has anyone had experience with the W4S?  How does the sound compare with the xfi?  Currently a little frustrated with the reliability of the Pulse.  Of course once I get it back I might decide to keep it.  Still riding the fence.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #10,166 of 13,800
I've been away from the lhlabs forums for some time now, and I'm wondering why there is so little activity over there. Anyone know?
I have a standard Pulse and while it has been "okay", I have not found it to be overly special. Mind you, I am comparing it to a Bryston BDA-1, so maybe that's a bit unfair of me. I have recently been looking at the PiPo x8 and x9 to possibly use with my Pulse and either Foobar or Roon. Has anyone here tried the Pulse with a PiPo? Any issues with the lhlabs drivers on those units?

Thanks!

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #10,167 of 13,800
  I'm fairly happy with my regular Pulse so far. Was thinking of getting a X/Infinty, but the reliability issues + no transferable warranty makes for 2nd thoughts. Plus low resale values -hmm.

yeah I saw you looking at my add...I have had the standard pulse myself

The pulse x infinity is no comparison and the standard pulse flat out disappointed me. I recommend to get an LPS first if not sell it and buy a JDS LABS ELEMENT or Modi 2 Vali 2 stack...its no where near its MSRP and neither is the infinity for that matter. I would say the MSRP for the infinity should be 1499 at best no matter what chassis. I can't believe they would charge 2000+ for this... no way in desert island and a 40 cassette speaker as an alternative would I do that. 

I have to admit that what I am selling mine for at 845 is an absolute steal but still that says something about the resell value. WTH LHLABS. If you guys did put out a giant killer it wouldn't have this effect. I paid 1400 dollars and will loose 600 to sell it after waiting over a YEAR....

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #10,168 of 13,800
Totally agree resale value on them are going down the drain.  In my opinion thats a result of the indiegogo campaign and the over hyping the product.  I doubt many people will buy the unit at full MSRP. On the positive side the XFI has been getting really good reviews and comparing favorably with comparable MSRP DACs.  But I believe the damage is done - they are going to have to think hard about pricing and no kidding they need to be realistic about price performance but also about the reliability of their products.  The issue is that because there is a fair number of unhappy campers and the word is spreading out in the community.  They need to sit down and figure out their business models. Because all their potential high end customers are audiophiles.  Wish them the best. So far I am happy. no issues with my XFI although i mostly do rebook Tidal streaming via and IMAC and rarely i do hires. knock on wood.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #10,169 of 13,800
Any international people get their infinity 2.0 yet? Kind of peeved that they are selling some on amazon for "black Friday" yet they haven't even fulfilled all orders yet.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #10,170 of 13,800
  Totally agree resale value on them are going down the drain.  In my opinion thats a result of the indiegogo campaign and the over hyping the product.  I doubt many people will buy the unit at full MSRP. On the positive side the XFI has been getting really good reviews and comparing favorably with comparable MSRP DACs.  But I believe the damage is done - they are going to have to think hard about pricing and no kidding they need to be realistic about price performance but also about the reliability of their products.  The issue is that because there is a fair number of unhappy campers and the word is spreading out in the community.  They need to sit down and figure out their business models. Because all their potential high end customers are audiophiles.  Wish them the best. So far I am happy. no issues with my XFI although i mostly do rebook Tidal streaming via and IMAC and rarely i do hires. knock on wood.

That is true....

You are right. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back