Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 17, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #10,141 of 13,800
That's awesome! Sometimes the trons door what they want. Hopefully this new found luck is sticking.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #10,142 of 13,800
That's awesome! Sometimes the trons door what they want. Hopefully this new found luck is sticking.

Yup! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #10,144 of 13,800
Pulse X∞ 250 hour report.

In short, veeeeerry nice! :)

The bass is back. Not quite the rich, almost lush bass that I remember from the first half hour or so, but very nice. The bass is easily better than my PS Audio NuWave DAC - not a huge difference, but enough for me to hear fairly readily. Slightly richer and at least as tight as the NuWave.

Mids: very nice. I will have to see if I can make myself spend some time comparing the infinity and the NuWave, but for now I will say that the two are comparable, with the infinity possibly having a very slight advantage. They are close enough that more listening will be required to make a final determination.

Highs easily go to the infinity. With the Pulse in FTM or TCM the NuWave is a bit brighter, or is that sharper? With the Pulse in FRM, they are similar, but the NuWave may be just a tad brighter. This may just be because the infinity is definitely smoother in the highs. This alone is worth the price of admission.

I will say here that the infinity easily has a cleaner, darker background. Perhaps this is just a lower noise floor, and perhaps there is something else involved here - I do not know and cannot say. Nor do I really care. What I can say is that I really like the presentation of the infinity.

Imaging / soundstage: Hands down, the Pulse X∞ takes the lead here. Better image definition, and an easily more three dimensional soundstage. This is clearly best with the FTM filter, but also true to a slightly lesser degree with the other filters. What more need I say?

A comment on how my ears (and system) perceive the filters... I prefer the FTM filter. The TCM is similar to the FTM, but not as well defined in soundstage, not quite as 'black' a background and perhaps a tad weak in the very top end. FRM has the top end, but not as smooth as TCM and similar in background and imaging. FTM does have the best characteristics of FRM and TCM, and even more so. I can see how some might prefer one of the other filters, and how other equipment combinations would influence this. To each his own, and I cannot tell you what you might prefer.

All of this is with the Pulse X∞ working with a possible disadvantage. The NuWave DAC is being sourced through the LightSpeed 2G USB cable, with the power leg disconnected (in my system easily better than with the power leg connected). The Pulse X∞ is being sourced through the LightSpeed 1G USB cable. I will give the infinity another couple of days to hit at least 300 hours before trying it out with the 2G cable. If this manages to improve the Pulse then it will surely be a joy and wonder to listen through.

As a reminder, the equipment involved is:

AMD 620e processor based computer running Windoze 8.0.
16GB RAM.
Foobar2000 as the library manager and player.
No particular audiophile system tuning or refinements.

LS 2G USB cable to
PS Audio NuWave DAC with thousands of hours of operation.
or
LS 1G USB cable to
LH Labs Pulse X∞ DAC with a bit over 250 hours of operation.
Power is from a Jay's Audio LPS set to 12.00V.

Power cables to both are Cullen Cables Red Copper.

Interconnects are Aural Thrills (I forget which model, but produced about three or four years ago).

Power amp is PS Audio GCC-500.

Speakers are Magnepan MMG with 12ga. copper magnet wire jumper replacing the original factory (steel?) tweater pad jumper.

Headphones are ZMF Master model V1 through ZMF 8 wire cable terminated with an XLR-4 balanced connector.

J.P.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #10,145 of 13,800
The 2G cable does gives a difference. Use it in your Infinity.

And yes, with all the filters I like FTM also the most.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #10,146 of 13,800
  hey for burning in the pulse infinity, do i have to have headphones attached or just music flowing through the amp/dac and it attached to my computer?

Best to have it flowing to HP's IME. Also best to do not with $$$ HP's just in case something happens. Cheers

As mscott says, it is ultimately necessary to have a load on the headphone amp to complete break in. With no load some break in will occur, but the current draw of a load is necessary for complete break in.

J.P.

Burn in is supposed to be the component getting run in and having all the the internal, operational components settle. How could that happen by not using the component completely, as it's intended to be used? I understand people looking for confirmation and wanting short cuts, but it's not to see how it has to work. 

Anyway :-/

*proceeding with burn in of my own unit, only on hour 1.5/400hrs. Unfortunately sans LPS4, which is out for repairs :frowning2:  Which of course will need to be burned in all when I get it back, putting me back at square 1.5? Maybe I can just leave it plugged in or put it besides the radiator and I'll be good? :~)

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #10,147 of 13,800
My Infinity has been on since I received it, so at least 500 hrs, the sound suddenly opened up a week ago, everything seems clearer.
I didn't do critical listening though, I am not even sure if it is the Pulse that's changed or my Ragnarok..

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #10,148 of 13,800
Anybody experienced and found a solution with this problem?

Seldom touches my Pulse but the other day saw this on display MUTE (don't have a remote control) but still could adjust volume through the knob..
confused.gif

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #10,149 of 13,800
Nov 18, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #10,150 of 13,800
Nov 18, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #10,151 of 13,800

In short, veeeeerry nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

The bass is back. Not quite the rich, almost lush bass that I remember from the first half hour or so, but very nice. The bass is easily better than my PS Audio NuWave DAC - not a huge difference, but enough for me to hear fairly readily. Slightly richer and at least as tight as the NuWave.

Mids: very nice. I will have to see if I can make myself spend some time comparing the infinity and the NuWave, but for now I will say that the two are comparable, with the infinity possibly having a very slight advantage. They are close enough that more listening will be required to make a final determination.

Highs easily go to the infinity. With the Pulse in FTM or TCM the NuWave is a bit brighter, or is that sharper? With the Pulse in FRM, they are similar, but the NuWave may be just a tad brighter. This may just be because the infinity is definitely smoother in the highs. This alone is worth the price of admission.

I will say here that the infinity easily has a cleaner, darker background. Perhaps this is just a lower noise floor, and perhaps there is something else involved here - I do not know and cannot day. Nor do I really care. What I can say is that I really like the presentation of the infinity.

Imaging / soundstage: Hands down, the Pulse X∞ takes the lead here. Better image definition, and an easily more three dimensional soundstage. This is clearly best with the FTM filter, but also true to a slightly lesser degree with the other filters. What more need I say?

A comment on how my ears (and system) perceive the filters... I prefer the FTM filter. The TCM is similar to the FTM, but not as ell defined in soundstage, not quite as 'black' a background and perhaps a tad weak in the very top end. FRM has the top end, but not as smooth as TCM and similar in background and imaging. FTM does have the best characteristics of FRM and TCM, and even more so. I can see how some might prefer one of the other filters, and how other equipment combinations would influence this. To each his own, and I cannot tell you what you might prefer.

All of this is with the Pulse X∞ working with a possible disadvantage. The NuWave DAC is being sourced through the LightSpeed 2G USB cable, with the power leg disconnected (in my system easily better than with the power leg connected). The Pulse X∞ is being sourced through the LightSpeed 1G USB cable. I will give the infinity another couple of days to hit at least 300 hours before trying it out with the 2G cable. If this manages to improve the Pulse then it will surely be a joy and wonder to listen through.

As a reminder, the equipment involved is:

AMD 620e processor based computer running Windoze 8.0.
16GB RAM.
Foobar2000 as the library manager and player.
No particular audiophile system tuning or refinements.

LS 2G USB cable to
PS Audio NuWave DAC with many hours of operation.
or
LS 1G USB cable to
LH Labs Pulse X∞ DAC with a bit over 250 hours of operation.
Power is from a Jay's Audio LPS set to 12.00V.

Power cables to both are Cullen Cables Red Copper.

Interconnects are Aural Thrills (I forget which model, but produced about three or four years ago).

Power amp is PS Audio GCC-500.

Speakers are Magnepan MMG with 12ga. jumper wire replacing the original factory (steel?) tweater pad jumper.

Headphones are ZMF Master model V1 with ZMF 8 wire cable terminated with an XLR-4 balanced connector.

J.P.

I definitely concur with your finding on imaging and soundstaging.  It truly makes it the most pleasurable DAC I've listened to.  Bass, for me, is tight, even with the Fostex TH900 cans which can be perceived as bloated by some.  Mids are very natural and highs just seem to be pristine with no etch or sibilance.

Can't wait to get mine back from RMA of the infrared sensor.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #10,152 of 13,800
Nov 19, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #10,154 of 13,800
  I will be getting my LPS tomorrow. 

If it doesn't change drastically its leaving. I believe it can be a fine sounding unit and also think burn in will help BUT... The midrange is not full, its actually scooped to my ears and is very lean and unmusical. 

I already expect the LPS to give it a blacker background and more defined bass but maybe the sabre chip is not for me, atleast in the DACs I have had so far with it in there. There is even that sabre glare in this one. 

Hmm, from reports LH Labs/Larry's SABRE implementation is supposed to be one of the mellowest. I have the GO1000 and it's not jumpy or glary by any means, and I'm also quite averse to this. If I were you I'd let it run in for a month 24/7 with the LPS and included 2G cable, then see what you think. It's not going to hurt it or the resale value, but it could save your wallet from the next adventure. That's just my take on it, though :wink:

Also, my little feedback after running mine for a bit:
The Infinity is alright and I'm going to let it keep burning in, but I don't think it's the giant killer and price/performance monster that the marketing gears had it pegged as.

The mids were nice and smooth, the highs had air, bu weren't stingy, and the bass was tight. It doesn't have a fullness or bloom in the bass, which I would really like and will see what I can do to change, but overall it works well enough. It's not hard on the ears and does make music sound nice. The build quality is also nice, much more so than the Geek Pulse 1.0 units. I've got to keep burning it in before I can say what I really think of it, but I can say I won't be passing it on. It'll work well in the office and will probably have good technical support from here forward about drivers and the like. It's good and I like it overall, but could my money have been better spent elsewhere and gotten a product SIGNIFICANTLY sooner, probably. 

I will give an update in a month or so after I've run it in with the 2G cable. Then like I mentioned above, I'll have to do it all over again when I get my LPS4 back. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #10,155 of 13,800

I will say here that the infinity easily has a cleaner, darker background. Perhaps this is just a lower noise floor, and perhaps there is something else involved here - I do not know and cannot say. Nor do I really care. What I can say is that I really like the presentation of the infinity.

A comment on how my ears (and system) perceive the filters... I prefer the FTM filter. The TCM is similar to the FTM, but not as well defined in soundstage, not quite as 'black' a background and perhaps a tad weak in the very top end. FRM has the top end, but not as smooth as TCM and similar in background and imaging. FTM does have the best characteristics of FRM and TCM, and even more so. I can see how some might prefer one of the other filters, and how other equipment combinations would influence this. To each his own, and I cannot tell you what you might prefer.

I suspect there is a bug on my XFi. First, I couldn't hear any different between all the filters setting. Second, there is no observable differences on the oscilloscope when playing 12 kHz square wave (24 bit - 48 kHz) on all filters setting. All other DACs I tested showing observable differences between the filter setting, but not on Pulse XFi.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review#post_11884909

Or probably it is normal for Pulse filters not showing any differences on oscilloscope?

For the new 3.26 driver. Manny has re-uploaded it. It worked for me.

http://lhlabs.com/downloads/Drivers/LightHarmonic_DriverSetup_v3.26.0.exe

1. Install
2.  Click Yes to uninstall previous driver
3.  After installation, turn off and on Pulse for the driver to kick in.

Thanks! Will try again later. Previous 3.26 installer didn't work on both Win 7 and Win 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back