Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 7, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #10,036 of 13,800
So what was the general consensus of the Geek Pulse now that some time has passed? Still waiting on my X-fi (which is hopefully the December completion date on the production progress chart), basically just shoved all memory of it aside, but curious to see how people have felt about it.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #10,037 of 13,800
One word: Awesome. 

Nah, just kidding. I'm quite long winded so I'll share a bit more. 

It's an excellent DAC and the built in amp is also good enough to be a keeper. If you have a good amp to pair it with, it will do an amazing job as a DAC. 

Even as an all in one, it is great. 

I have one for my work , home and bedroom. Home and bedroom as a DAC. At work I use the headphone out with my JH13 PRO FP CIEMs. 

I used to buy Audio GD DACs because of the amazing value for money they presented. I've owned the following:

Audio GD DAC-19DSP, SA-1.32, SA-2, NFB 1.32, NFB-2, Reference 7 and I sold them all and kept the Pulse DACs. They all had something going for them but the Pulse was more versatile and in a straight up comparison, technically superior. Some may prefer the tone of the R2R DACs in that list for tonality but even with the controversy over how the Pulse looks, I think it looks much nicer than Audio GD's offerings. 

Make sure you let current flow through the electrical/electronic components in your DAC for some time at the start (say 200+ hours at least) and the sound will improve somewhat as the brand new components start performing at their specs. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #10,038 of 13,800

It's an excellent DAC and the built in amp is also good enough to be a keeper. If you have a good amp to pair it with, it will do an amazing job as a DAC. 

I have one for my work , home and bedroom. Home and bedroom as a DAC. At work I use the headphone out with my JH13 PRO FP CIEMs. 

I used to buy Audio GD DACs because of the amazing value for money they presented. I've owned the following:

Audio GD DAC-19DSP, SA-1.32, SA-2, NFB 1.32, NFB-2, Reference 7 and I sold them all and kept the Pulse DACs. They all had something going for them but the Pulse was more versatile and in a straight up comparison, technically superior. Some may prefer the tone of the R2R DACs in that list for tonality but even with the controversy over how the Pulse looks, I think it looks much nicer than Audio GD's offerings. 

Make sure you let current flow through the electrical/electronic components in your DAC for some time at the start (say 200+ hours at least) and the sound will improve somewhat as the brand new components start performing at their specs. 

Ditto but I only have 2 Infinities not 3 :)

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #10,039 of 13,800

Awesome to hear! I remember early on in the thread when a couple people got their Pulse' opinions seemed a bit cold at the time.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #10,040 of 13,800
My Infinity arrived yesterday, only 22 1/2 months after my initial campaign contribution. It arrived late and I only had time to unbox it and power it up, no signal applied, before I had to leave for the evening. This at least gave it six hours of warm up time before I gave it a listen. The downside is that I did not get to listen to it dead cold and brand new for reference and lifecycle comparison.

When I got back home from my usual friday night concert (http://www.unclecalvins.org), I moved the now warm Pulse to the computer desk and hooked it up to the system. My first listen was through headphones (ZMF Master model V1) with a balanced cable. Sounds REALLY GOOD. After a few tracks, or rather partial tracks, I doffed the 'phones and had a listen through the speakers (Magnepan MMG powered by a PS Audio GCC-500). Also really nice. A few switches back and forth for comparison with the previous DAC in the system (PS Audio NuWave DAC) showed that they both make great music, but there are differences. I don't have the most finely tuned ear, so I am not sure that I could reliably identify which DAC was playing, but they are still clearly if subtly different. I will say here that I am not prone to audiophile hyperbole. A Huge difference is something like a table radio and a good audio system. A big difference might be between good "computer" speakers and a good audio system. A subtle difference migt be something that I can hear but cannot specifically identify, at least not without an hour or more of comparison and study. I am not patient enough for that - I decide which I prefer and move on.

Anyway.. back to the DACs. I tried different filters and I do notice a difference between them. The clearest difference is between FTM and the other two - I don't count SSM as I am not sure that it is implemented yet. For now, I prefer FTM as it has good clean sound and the most clearly defined sound stage. At this point, with only an hour on the infinity, there are greater differences between the filters than between the two DACs that I have compared.

About an hour and a half into listening, I was reminded of an earlier post in this thread - this thing has no bass! I listened closely, and there IS bass, but it has no impact, no life. I seems to have no life in the 60~100 Hz range where much of the life in bass seems to come from. This is in clear contrast to when I first started listening to the infinity - initially it had this wonderful warm, lush but in no way bloated sound. The sound was now rather thin and unappealing. WOW! This is the most incredible demonstration of a burn in cycle that I have ever heard. At this point it was about 2AM, so I left the DAC running with my favorite burn in playlist: a variety of seashore and wave sounds that I also use for background / ambience. These sounds happen to be very similar to the output of the Hagerman FryBaby burn in device, so I use them for burn in as well as background.

10 hours and a good night's sleep later (no, not 10 hours sleep :)), the Infinity is mellowing a bit. The bass is starting to come back, at least it is better than at the hour and a half mark. The mids are okay and at the moment the highs are a bit rough. I'll leave the burn in / ambience playlist running for at least a week, with occasional listening sessions. I expect the mids and highs to clean up and hope that that initial wonderful lush but not heavy sound quality returns. It may take a couple of weeks, but at least I do not have to be actively involved as it can just keep playing away as I go on with the rest of my life.

Just another report and non-review from another music aficionado and now happy Geek. :)

J.P.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #10,046 of 13,800
Thanks Leo and all. I have waited seemingly forever for my infinity and am happy to have it. I certainly can wait another month for it to truly come into its best performance. Still, I will enjoy it even before then. As I noted, it is already close in performance to the DAC that I have been using for several years. It also has the advantage of being able to do a wonderful job of driving a very nice set of headphones. Seems strange to be thinking of listening through headphones while sitting in front of a very nice set of speakers.

I'll give it another listen in a few hours. It's already 21 hours in and I am curious to hear what it sounds like and if I can tell any difference from the 10 hour mark.

I will say that for a very long time I was a hardcore skeptic on the burn in concept, but direct experience has forced me to accept that it really does happen, even in solid state electronic equipment. It's still difficult to believe that it can change as much as I have already heard with my infinity.

J.P.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #10,047 of 13,800
Wait until you hit the magic 50 and 100hrs...and beyond.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #10,048 of 13,800
You guys are the Geek Pulse pioneers, you are charting the road to better listening enjoyment hopefully. On the burn-in time length with Femtos, wasn't Larry saying 200 hours were required for full body sound maturity/development?

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #10,049 of 13,800
Congrats J.P. 

The sound quality you describe, was your Geek Pulse Infinity with Jay's Audio LPS, or was it with stock SMPS ?

biggrin.gif

Alvin

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #10,050 of 13,800
congrats on finally receiving your pulse, wingsounds.  I remember reading your posts from the very beginning of the thread.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back