Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #9,767 of 13,800
I didn't had pops with changes in bit rates with my former Pulse FI, but had the problem with the X-FI I bought used. Fortunately, the seller assisted with the RMA and the replaced set is all good and hasn't given me any issues since.

Edit:

I'm using the Pulse X-FI with headphones and also a dedicated DAC running a tube integrated amp and a pair of LS3/5A clones, and it's a case of so far so good. I'm pretty pleased with the sound quality this box produces.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #9,768 of 13,800
Remembering history, the lack of any type of power-on or change attenuation was an active decision by Larry to not include as he felt it would negatively impact the SQ. I've seen other manufacturers do the same thing, while others play it the safe route. Most important thing is to just be aware. Also I do have some sounds when changing sample rates, but nothing really loud at all - but can see how amplifying it powerfully could make it more noticeable, but at that loud I wonder how much damage just the music might do to your ears? Cheers

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #9,769 of 13,800
Remembering history, the lack of any type of power-on or change attenuation was an active decision by Larry to not include as he felt it would negatively impact the SQ. I've seen other manufacturers do the same thing, while others play it the safe route. Most important thing is to just be aware. Also I do have some sounds when changing sample rates, but nothing really loud at all - but can see how amplifying it powerfully could make it more noticeable, but at that loud I wonder how much damage just the music might do to your ears? Cheers

If you're using the Pulse as a preamp with volume control to a power amp, the level at which you're listening is irrelevant. The pop in my case was WAY louder than the volume at which I was listening. Also, just being "aware" of it is ok (marginally) with the power on pop, but not the sample rate pop. The latter is simply unacceptable.

I'm encouraged by others saying they either don't have the issue or have had it repaired. I've opened a ticket and we'll see what happens. Bit of a pain as I'll have to send it overseas for servicing.

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #9,770 of 13,800
Just tried changing sample rate and listening very carefully, there is a very small pop changing to/from DSD using HD800 but it is way lower than the music itself and I don't see it as a problem, it is inaudible from speakers.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #9,771 of 13,800
  Just tried changing sample rate and listening very carefully, there is a very small pop changing to/from DSD using HD800 but it is way lower than the music itself and I don't see it as a problem, it is inaudible from speakers.

Same here. Very small pop/crackle in the background. 

Pedal - it sounds like yours might have some issues. Sorry about that. 

Cheers 

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #9,773 of 13,800
Both my Vanilla Pulse and XFI had significant loud pops and other sounds when starting the Pulse and changing sampling rates. I sent both back to LH and they fixed them quickly. I now have just a very small background noise. I wouldn't hesitate to open a ticket with them regarding your issue. Hopefully you'll find them as equally responsive as I did.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #9,774 of 13,800
  @germay0653 Yes, I can't get the remote to pair on my Infinity 2.0.  I submit a ticket, they told me to do things like power cycle it and turn the remote option on the menu off and on.  Nothing worked so I figured I would be happy with what was working and get a little exercise by getting up to change the volume.

Also, I was getting some small pops and clicks out of my raspberry pi (with Volumio), but after moving around the LS 2.0 plugs on the pi and powering the pi with the LPS it mostly cleared up.  Weird how those little things can affect it.  It seems really sensitive to the signal because the optical coming off of my tv isn't always great.  Laptop has always sounded the best.

Doing an RMA on mine.  Probably have a faulty IR sensor.  Other than that it's been stellar.

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #9,775 of 13,800
Well a power up pop is way different than a sample rate pop. There is an order to follow when powering up or down
Sources then amplifier powering up. Amplifier then sources when powering down. Most dacs I have will POP if selected as a source and then powered up. For a dealer to make this mistake shows lack of concentration. I am sure they knew better.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #9,777 of 13,800
I also leave my Infinity on at all times, but only plug in my headphones while I'm listening - just in case...

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #9,779 of 13,800

Well I hear 2 pops when changing from PCM do DSD, but its a quiet pop. Is it an issue?

The very quiet pops/clicks when changing sample rates are the relays switching, and are very normal.

Jody

Users who are viewing this thread

Back