Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 22, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #9,751 of 13,800
LH Labs just post up their new production chart showing all Pulse 1.0 chassis levels as shipped. Congrats LH Labs! 

Now where's my 1.0 chassis pulse Xfi that you supposedly shipped?  :rolleyes:

Sorry to tell you dude. You're in batch #34: rschoi75 only, lol. I couldn't resist, sorry.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #9,752 of 13,800

After some more listening and comparing, I now also prefer the FRM filter. TCM indeed has a weird sounding top end and sounds somewhat artificial, and FRM sounds more natural.
But, I'm also still not happy with the sound of the vanilla Pulse even with FRM. For a lack of a better word, the sound is "dry" and a little analytical. What I like about the LCD3Fs is their musicality and creamy mid-range, and the Pulse negates that a little.
I'm really hoping I'm imagining all of this and that in a few days I'll just enjoy the music again.

I've got a brand new XFi I'm letting go of (I have 2 XFis and 1 Infinity unit (with one more coming)) for a pretty cheap price on the classifieds. The XFi destroys the Vanilla Pulse. I've owned one before. It's good for its price but it doesn't compare to the XFi. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #9,753 of 13,800
Has anyone had any issues using the Apple Remote with the Pulse, chassis 2.0, using MCU version 1.25?

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #9,757 of 13,800

I've got a brand new XFi I'm letting go of (I have 2 XFis and 1 Infinity unit (with one more coming)) for a pretty cheap price on the classifieds. The XFi destroys the Vanilla Pulse. I've owned one before. It's good for its price but it doesn't compare to the XFi. 

Thanks for the offer. Have you listened to a vanilla Pulse long enough to compare? I believe the XFI could be much better than the vanilla, but I doubt that the tonality will be that much different. Isn't it a case of "same character of sound, but better at it"? It might be also a matter of taste, and maybe I just don't like the direction LH (or Larry really) took with it.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #9,759 of 13,800
If anyone is interested in a Pulse X Infinity in the 2.0 case with LPS4 including a 2G and a 1G cable drop me a PM. I was going to use it at work but decided against that. I ordered 2 and am keeping one at home.

Downside is there is no warranty on the transfer Pulse or LPS4. I did take the Pulse out and let it play for 12 hours and it seemed fine. The LPS4 is still in the box from when it came back in early April or late March.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #9,760 of 13,800
Thanks for the offer. Have you listened to a vanilla Pulse long enough to compare? I believe the XFI could be much better than the vanilla, but I doubt that the tonality will be that much different. Isn't it a case of "same character of sound, but better at it"? It might be also a matter of taste, and maybe I just don't like the direction LH (or Larry really) took with it.

I burnt pulse for 3 weeks to make sure that it was at its best. I found the sound to be dryish but yet decent quality. As a dac it wasn't able to beat my audio gd sa1.32 or nfb 1.32.

The xfi on the other hand has solid weight to the sound after the customary 3 week straight of burn in. It is actually noticeably superior to the audio gd dacs that in my opinion were already excellent. Separation, soundstage, etc. All much better on xfi. I attributed it to the dual mono setup inside but i guess upgrading the components must have helped too.

I currently use one xfi at work with my jh13 pro fp ciem and I'm loving it. The nose floor is so low that i cannot hear any hiss that i normally get with portable players and to a small extent the geek out. The quality of sound also is two leagues apart from portables and geek out. The portables i used were shozy alien and hm700. Good but xfi destroys them.

At home i use hd800 and ether. Hd800 via a souped up BottleHead Crack and ether sounds awesome plugged directly into headphone out. I will soon be getting auralic taurus and cavalli liquid carbon for ether.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #9,761 of 13,800
@germay0653 Yes, I can't get the remote to pair on my Infinity 2.0.  I submit a ticket, they told me to do things like power cycle it and turn the remote option on the menu off and on.  Nothing worked so I figured I would be happy with what was working and get a little exercise by getting up to change the volume.

Also, I was getting some small pops and clicks out of my raspberry pi (with Volumio), but after moving around the LS 2.0 plugs on the pi and powering the pi with the LPS it mostly cleared up.  Weird how those little things can affect it.  It seems really sensitive to the signal because the optical coming off of my tv isn't always great.  Laptop has always sounded the best.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #9,762 of 13,800
  Well, I hooked mine up tonight after listing it on Audiogon for 2 weeks without a nibble. Sorted out cabling, and inserted into the system. Sounds great cold. Using a Jay's LPS that has been running for six months or so.
  I like it. If it sounds better after 300 hours of playing, even better. 
  Running 96/24 files in. These are converted ISO files.
  Plan on running it for a couple days. Then play with the filters. And find better cabling. Running a 8 foot cable to the power amp where a 0.5 meter, or 2 foot would work. Think there is a little more to come with this much condemmed unit and company. 
  Also, fired right up on a Mac Mini. Using the gimme Lightspeed 1G. If there was an extra USB port I would try the 2G.

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #9,763 of 13,800
Just a random thought for Pulse owners.  I've been listening to my X Infinity extensively lately both via it's internal amp and a tasty external amp (with HE1000 headphones) and there are significant gains to be had from using a good external amp with the Pulse.  I do feel the built in amp is something of a weak point, although of course (in my experience) the HE1000 is a headphone that really benefits from oodles of refined power.

Gotta say though, the flippin sample rate change POP from the Pulse is an accident waiting to happen. Just now I was using the Pulse as an active pre-amp whilst jacking up the output on my Wells Enigma (a very powerful amp). The POP from the Pulse isn't of course attenuated like the pre-amp signal but is fed to the power amp at full voltage. It momentarily hurt my right ear and naturally I immediately turned the volume to zero. I can tell you it was a nervous moment when I turned the volume back up...I would not have been surprised if my HE1000 was broken as a result of that huge POP. I still consider one of the biggest facepalm moments of the whole Pulse campaign to be the lack of a proper muting relay. I'm seriously considering getting a tame electronics nerd to add one.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #9,764 of 13,800
  Just a random thought for Pulse owners.  I've been listening to my X Infinity extensively lately both via it's internal amp and a tasty external amp (with HE1000 headphones) and there are significant gains to be had from using a good external amp with the Pulse.  I do feel the built in amp is something of a weak point, although of course (in my experience) the HE1000 is a headphone that really benefits from oodles of refined power.

Gotta say though, the flippin sample rate change POP from the Pulse is an accident waiting to happen. Just now I was using the Pulse as an active pre-amp whilst jacking up the output on my Wells Enigma (a very powerful amp). The POP from the Pulse isn't of course attenuated like the pre-amp signal but is fed to the power amp at full voltage. It momentarily hurt my right ear and naturally I immediately turned the volume to zero. I can tell you it was a nervous moment when I turned the volume back up...I would not have been surprised if my HE1000 was broken as a result of that huge POP. I still consider one of the biggest facepalm moments of the whole Pulse campaign to be the lack of a proper muting relay. I'm seriously considering getting a tame electronics nerd to add one.

That is a horrendous mistake by LHL. I don't have this pop during changing over between sample rate change. Maybe your unit is faulty or something. And that is X Infinity, I think I shouldn't consider anymore upgrades over my SFi. I did not notice anything that would bother me about it. Thank GOD!!!

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #9,765 of 13,800
  That is a horrendous mistake by LHL. I don't have this pop during changing over between sample rate change. Maybe your unit is faulty or something. And that is X Infinity, I think I shouldn't consider anymore upgrades over my SFi. I did not notice anything that would bother me about it. Thank GOD!!!

The popping is only slightly audible and not an issue when using the Pulse as a standalone unit (headphones directly connected into the Pulse). But when feeding a powerful external amp...ouch.  I shall not be doing that again.  Nor shall I be hooking it up to my speaker system. I'm far from the first person to notice this issue. An early recipient of the reseller pack of Pulses blew a Magnepan with a Pulse pop IIRC, although I believe that was a power-on pop as opposed to a sample rate change pop. I'm not au fait enough with electronics to understand if the two might be related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back