Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 20, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #9,736 of 13,800
A clean windshield, a shoe shine and a Pulse X Infinity!  Ah, the pause that refreshes.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #9,738 of 13,800
Are you local ? Cause i am oversea, and they did told me i need to cover shipping fee myself

I am in Japan but I have an FPO address which USPS treats as a US address. My situation does not embody the typical overseas backer but closer to a CONUS situation.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #9,739 of 13,800
I never backed the source or wave because it was too ambitious.  Look at how they struggled with the Pulse, which was more complicated than the Geek Out (their only product which most people seem to like).  I'd say at their current (or earlier stages) that's the most complicated device they can handle.  Creating an entire new OS for the Wave is a ridiculous notion for a small company with limited resources.  Look at all the other DAPs with crappy interfaces.  That's what's they have probably and you won't get better than that unless they get a ton more funds or decide to switch to Android (which probably also take a lot of resources to strip down properly like A&K did).  

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #9,742 of 13,800
What is an FPO address and how does it work ?    USPS will charge according to US rates ?
How do i get one ?

Try joining the US military (or other government service) and then get shipped overseas!

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #9,743 of 13,800
Oct 21, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #9,744 of 13,800
I have a question for you guys... I purchased a vanilla geek pulse on a good deal. I am planning to use it as a DAC only with a discrete amp yet to be decided. I have an option of buying a used pulse infinity on a deal. I am wondering whether I will notice any remarkable differences if using the pulse as a dac alone? I know the Xfi and infinity have balanced outputs etc and slightly better parts for the DAC(which I don't understand...) My only wonder is if it makes any difference if only being used for dac purposes. I have a hd650 and lcd2.2

Noticed a huge jump from vanilla pulse to xfi both as dac/amp and as dac alone. Xfi to infinity was noticeable too albeit not as big. Vanilla to infinity will be a big difference no matter how you use it. Even if single ended.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #9,746 of 13,800
After reading about the last 20 pages of this thread I am going to keep the Infinitty in 2.0 chassis. For less than a 1,000.09 or is a great unit.
Saw the tests shown here. The -160dB noise floor is DCS stack range. 22 bit resolution.
Shipping all these in a month or so time period was no good for resale. So many are like me that wanted it 18 months ago. Moved on while waiting.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #9,747 of 13,800
After reading about the last 20 pages of this thread I am going to keep the Infinitty in 2.0 chassis. For less than a 1,000.09 or is a great unit.
Saw the tests shown here. The -160dB noise floor is DCS stack range. 22 bit resolution.
Shipping all these in a month or so time period was no good for resale. So many are like me that wanted it 18 months ago. Moved on while waiting.

And it, the X Infinity, sounds wonderful!  Very detailed, no background noise and 3D soundstage.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #9,748 of 13,800
The Schiit products tend to have some "bite" up on top, which I don't like too much. The Yggdrasil (and probably Gungnir Multi-Bit) is the only one I didn't get that feeling. For me, TCM mode sounds too bright compared to FRM mode.

I guess it depends on your other gear as well. I'm using an LCD-3F with a Burson Soloist so my system is already quite relaxed up top. I prefer TCM because of its improved soundstage and imaging.

After some more listening and comparing, I now also prefer the FRM filter. TCM indeed has a weird sounding top end and sounds somewhat artificial, and FRM sounds more natural.
But, I'm also still not happy with the sound of the vanilla Pulse even with FRM. For a lack of a better word, the sound is "dry" and a little analytical. What I like about the LCD3Fs is their musicality and creamy mid-range, and the Pulse negates that a little.
I'm really hoping I'm imagining all of this and that in a few days I'll just enjoy the music again.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #9,749 of 13,800
Well then. I got a KabelDirekt Toslink cable from Amazon since it's pretty inexpensive and thought it would might be fun to try the Toslink input of the Pulse. I got a Monoprice mini-Toslink adaptor too so I can use my MacBook's headphone out for the optical connection.

Man the Pulse X Infinity sounds bright and lacking in layering with Toslink in....I'll go back to USB now. XD

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #9,750 of 13,800
LH Labs just post up their new production chart showing all Pulse 1.0 chassis levels as shipped. Congrats LH Labs! 

Now where's my 1.0 chassis pulse Xfi that you supposedly shipped?  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back