Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #9,721 of 13,800
  The playback device didn't even recognize it and The Light Harmonic Control Panel too ! Nothing is shown up....

Ugh. Sorry about the issues you're having! I've been lucky to be issue-free with my Infinity (hope that didn't jinx it!).

I'd suggest both opening a ticket with LHL as well as PM'ing member jbr1971 (Jody helps support LHL). 

Good luck and take care

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #9,722 of 13,800
  Ugh. Sorry about the issues you're having! I've been lucky to be issue-free with my Infinity (hope that didn't jinx it!).

I'd suggest both opening a ticket with LHL as well as PM'ing member jbr1971 (Jody helps support LHL). 

Good luck and take care

I really get sick of their marketing....

I still have the warranty but even then, they still ask me to pay for firmware issue and delivery issue... What kind of warranty service is this...

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #9,723 of 13,800
I really get sick of their marketing....

I still have the warranty but even then, they still ask me to pay for firmware issue and delivery issue... What kind of warranty service is this...

This has not been the case for me. While I have had to send back items 3 or 4 times they did cover the shipping both ways.

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #9,724 of 13,800
  Where did you see the July 2016 date? The update this morning showed the Feb 16 estimate. Not that I believe in any firm date at this point, was just curious where the July 16 info was coming from.

I read between the lines....and I'm not surprised.  There still is no chassis and the Wave is a lot more complex to manufacture because of the spaghetti feature combinations they put out there.
Question: Why is it taking so long?
Answer: Fair question. R&D on a project like this typically takes about two years. We have a pretty fast (liar!) R&D cycle, but it’s still 9-14 months for a brand-new product. We finished up the campaign in July of last year. So we’re at the 15 month mark. We’re sorry that we’ve had to add a few months to the R&D process, but we think it’s better to build it well rather than fast. The thing that’s taking the most time is the chassis. It’s my fault it’s being held up, but I have to insist on getting it right.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #9,725 of 13,800

I read between the lines....and I'm not surprised.  There still is no chassis and the Wave is a lot more complex to manufacture because of the spaghetti feature combinations they put out there.
Question: Why is it taking so long?
Answer: Fair question. R&D on a project like this typically takes about two years. We have a pretty fast (liar!) R&D cycle, but it’s still 9-14 months for a brand-new product. We finished up the campaign in July of last year. So we’re at the 15 month mark. We’re sorry that we’ve had to add a few months to the R&D process, but we think it’s better to build it well rather than fast. The thing that’s taking the most time is the chassis. It’s my fault it’s being held up, but I have to insist on getting it right.

Got it. 

And while I applaud their desire to build AOS as a ground-up OS just for audio, I'm sure that the related software development is a challenge (and potential time-suck) as well. 

Cheers 

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #9,726 of 13,800

THANK YOU!!!! :) I read this name on couple of different forums, will get in touch. 

Edit: I keep asking myself this question if I really need to spend money on an LPS? There is no audible noise of any sort from the DAC. There is a lot of impact in the sound already, unless I want to go deaf or be blinded by the higher amounts of SQ :D 

I recently read a review where the reviewer claimed that the SQ through his tubes is so high that it blind-ens him and only thing he sees is a wall of sound What!!!!

Entirely up to you imo.
I've heard that the LPS adds a greater level of fidelity than the upgrade from Pulse X to Xfi.
The LPS would seem to be the most bang for buck incremental upgrade for your system right now, but if you are happy with it as it is, why change a thing?

If you do feel curious about how much an LPS can improve your enjoyment of music, the Jay's is probably one of the cheapest ones out there.

Wondering if anyone out there was ever able to compare LPS's...there are really expensive ones out there, LH Labs, Uptown Audio, Mojo, and less expensive, like Jays. Have to say, didn't even know there WAS such a thing until the Pulse campaign, does it pay to go for the high priced spread?

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #9,727 of 13,800
I have the Geek Out 1000, and the GO Special Edition. I don't know what, if any other improvements were made for the SE, but it does have the FEMTO clock, and I'm guessing that has the most to do with the better sound (and, it DOES sound much better). That should apply to using it in the DAC application. As far as balanced goes, that is very dependent on the implementation. I have the Pono, does sound much better balanced (to the point that it is a viable option for my HE-1000 in balanced mode), I have the Centrance Hifi M8, which has balanced outputs, but they are really for convenience, the internal electronics are NOT balanced, and it doesn't make any difference for SQ. The Liquid Carbon focuses very much on the balanced circuit, and, from reports (haven't heard it yet, have one on order), there is significant SQ benefit to the balanced outputs. And, some on Head Fi have looked at specs for the balanced Wave, and there is a suspicion that it may have more noise/sound worse than the single ended. Of course, since it doesn't exist yet, it is purely speculation based on info supplied by the LH folks. SO, femto should improve the sound, significantly from my experience and what I have read.

Thanks a lot. That helps

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #9,728 of 13,800

I can't speak for the vanilla Pulse as I have the balanced XFi version, but I would imagine that the lack of balanced outputs would make minimal difference if your setup involved single ended outputs to a headphone amplifier and single ended cable to your headphones. 

I don't know how much a difference the naked resistors, upgraded op-amps and femto clocks have on the sound quality, but what I have heard is that the Infinity has the latest ESS9018AQ2M chip?

Thanks 

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #9,730 of 13,800
biggrin.gif
 Just Happy....

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #9,732 of 13,800

Entirely up to you imo.
I've heard that the LPS adds a greater level of fidelity than the upgrade from Pulse X to Xfi.
The LPS would seem to be the most bang for buck incremental upgrade for your system right now, but if you are happy with it as it is, why change a thing?

If you do feel curious about how much an LPS can improve your enjoyment of music, the Jay's is probably one of the cheapest ones out there.

Thank you for your response.

Actually, I am using Geek as a stand alone DAC. This is what I got it for, I already had a tube amplifier sitting on my table. I was just wondering, adding an LPS would only help it's onboard amplifier's impact, isn't it?

Please comment, I am sure I am doing the right thing by staying away from the LPS :D It will only crowd the table..

On a different note, onboard amplifier is so good that my tube amplifier is outperformed, which made me think about buying top tier tubes for it (was using stock tubes initially). Life sucks :D

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #9,733 of 13,800
Naveed,

Vacation Bro, vacation....But there is one other reason I am happy. ^_^

Michael

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #9,735 of 13,800
Touche'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back