Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 19, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #9,691 of 13,800
Direct Sound vs ASIO vs WASAPI? What should I select in settings?

I am currently using the Geek Kernel Streaming, I have NO idea what I am doing. That sends me back to more forum reading :D

Edit: I selected Kernel Streaming before reading this article on LH Labs about JRiver Windows integration.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #9,692 of 13,800
Honestly, I have used JRiver with my Geek Out Special Edition, but have never quite gotten it right. It works fine through JRiver, but I lost all sound through speakers, and sounds from other sources (like Youtube) don't come through. I have never been able to find how this happened in settings. I read somewhere a driver may have gone bad, but I have no clue if that is it. I just use it to listen to JRiver for music (I suppose I could use it for movies as well, tend not watch these on my PC).

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #9,693 of 13,800
  Honestly speaking, people are spending endless amount of money and still aren't satisfied. I drew a line on how much I would want to spend on home audio and I think I got a decent setup on my table. I did not spend on the USB cables or LPS yet, but the recent review suggests the otherwise. I might consider buying the Jay's Audio LPS, I need a link to their website? Googled it but it points in random directions into strange forums, and who is Alee Chee?

I might never go as higher as HD800 level and go balanced all around, cause when you upgrade something in your rig, consequently you end up upgrading everything else to that level and that costs you a lot of money :) I think I got a HD600 level decent setup. I am still trying to figure out though, what amplifier is better, the tube amplifier or the on board amplifier on the DAC/Amp.

I have a question regarding Geek Pulse DAC, how to configure it with your media player? I am using JRiver 20. What is the best media player for this application?

AFAIK, Jay's Audio is a chinese company, they have some stuff selling on taobao (imagine it like China's Amazon), and I don't think they have a website.
If you are interested in the Jay's LPS, you should contact Alvin Chee. (I don't know of any other way to purchase it)
His profile on head-fi - http://www.head-fi.org/u/80443/alvin1118

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #9,694 of 13,800
  Direct Sound vs ASIO vs WASAPI? What should I select in settings?

I am currently using the Geek Kernel Streaming, I have NO idea what I am doing. That sends me back to more forum reading :D

Edit: I selected Kernel Streaming before reading this article on LH Labs about JRiver Windows integration.

ASIO, Kernel Streaming and WASAPI all bypass the Windows Kmixer process which adds latency, not a good thing for audio, and can degrade signal and sound quality.  Stick with whichever of the three is most stable in your system and sound best to you.  You may not even notice a difference between them.

Pulled from the JRiver site: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

To get the best audio quality, your software should communicate directly with your sound hardware, without Windows or any other layer doing resampling or other processing of the signal.
Core Audio, ASIO, WASAPI, and Kernel Streaming are all hardware direct.
There are some things to be aware of when using hardware direct communication:
  1. During audio playback, the soundcard will be locked. You will not be able to play sounds from a web browser or other program while audio is playing.
  2. Playback of sample rates your soundcard does not support will not be possible. Use Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > DSP and output format > Output Format to allow Media Center to convert to a supported sample rate.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #9,695 of 13,800

AFAIK, Jay's Audio is a chinese company, they have some stuff selling on taobao (imagine it like China's Amazon), and I don't think they have a website.
If you are interested in the Jay's LPS, you should contact Alvin Chee. (I don't know of any other way to purchase it)
His profile on head-fi - http://www.head-fi.org/u/80443/alvin1118

THANK YOU!!!! :) I read this name on couple of different forums, will get in touch. 

Edit: I keep asking myself this question if I really need to spend money on an LPS? There is no audible noise of any sort from the DAC. There is a lot of impact in the sound already, unless I want to go deaf or be blinded by the higher amounts of SQ :D 

I recently read a review where the reviewer claimed that the SQ through his tubes is so high that it blind-ens him and only thing he sees is a wall of sound What!!!!

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #9,696 of 13,800

ASIO, Kernel Streaming and WASAPI all bypass the Windows Kmixer process which adds latency, not a good thing for audio, and can degrade signal and sound quality.  Stick with whichever of the three is most stable in your system and sound best to you.  You may not even notice a difference between them.

Pulled from the JRiver site: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

To get the best audio quality, your software should communicate directly with your sound hardware, without Windows or any other layer doing resampling or other processing of the signal.
Core Audio, ASIO, WASAPI, and Kernel Streaming are all hardware direct.
There are some things to be aware of when using hardware direct communication:
  1. During audio playback, the soundcard will be locked. You will not be able to play sounds from a web browser or other program while audio is playing.
  2. Playback of sample rates your soundcard does not support will not be possible. Use Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > DSP and output format > Output Format to allow Media Center to convert to a supported sample rate.

Thanks Germay, this answers Dr.Jazz and my questions about JRiver integration. On HydrogenAudio forum there is a much heated debate on sound quality through the use of these three methods and people have different opinions. I am still reading about it, heading to the JRiver web link now.

I will try the 2nd bullet point to bring back the audio for web browser and movies playback through the Geek DAC.

Really appreciate your support. Thanks once again!!!!

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #9,697 of 13,800
Yup, the good people over on HydrogenAudio are quite passionate!
popcorn.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #9,698 of 13,800
Honestly, I have used JRiver with my Geek Out Special Edition, but have never quite gotten it right. It works fine through JRiver, but I lost all sound through speakers, and sounds from other sources (like Youtube) don't come through. I have never been able to find how this happened in settings. I read somewhere a driver may have gone bad, but I have no clue if that is it. I just use it to listen to JRiver for music (I suppose I could use it for movies as well, tend not watch these on my PC).

You'll need to go into the control panel for Hardware and Sound, Choose Manage audio devices to see which device is default.  Unfortunately, if you're trying to use your internal speakers your going to have to switch back to the device that passes sound to them as the LH Labs device can't drive them.  Your GO will only drive what ever is attached to it, be it headphones or powered speakers.

Be aware that you can set whatever device you highlight, in Manage audio devices, to the default device.  To use the GO and your internal speakers you need to either remove the GO so that Windows doesn't see it or manually switch between each device to default in order to use it.  You just can't use both at the same time.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #9,699 of 13,800
Honestly speaking, people are spending endless amount of money and still aren't satisfied. I drew a line on how much I would want to spend on home audio and I think I got a decent setup on my table. I did not spend on the USB cables or LPS yet, but the recent review suggests the otherwise. I might consider buying the Jay's Audio LPS, I need a link to their website? Googled it but it points in random directions into strange forums, and who is Alee Chee?

I might never go as higher as HD800 level and go balanced all around, cause when you upgrade something in your rig, consequently you end up upgrading everything else to that level and that costs you a lot of money :) I think I got a HD600 level decent setup. I am still trying to figure out though, what amplifier is better, the tube amplifier or the on board amplifier on the DAC/Amp.

I have a question regarding Geek Pulse DAC, how to configure it with your media player? I am using JRiver 20. What is the best media player for this application?

Alvin1188 here on Head-Fi resells them worldwide, send him a PM :)

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #9,700 of 13,800

You'll need to go into the control panel for Hardware and Sound, Choose Manage audio devices to see which device is default.  Unfortunately, if you're trying to use your internal speakers your going to have to switch back to the device that passes sound to them as the LH Labs device can't drive them.  Your GO will only drive what ever is attached to it, be it headphones or powered speakers.

Be aware that you can set whatever device you highlight, in Manage audio devices, to the default device.  To use the GO and your internal speakers you need to either remove the GO so that Windows doesn't see it or manually switch between each device to default in order to use it.  You just can't use both at the same time.

I'll try again, but I think I did try to switch devices in the control panel, didn't seem to help. I'll play some more. I even did try to connect the speakers to the line out of the GO, didn't work either (not sure why that should be), at one point I just gave up.

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #9,701 of 13,800
Is there anyone having problem with the vanilla Geek Pulse when it was first turned on, and the first track it played is filled with buzz and other sibilance? Only when they are stopped and replayed, that those sounds go away?

And how about the songs with different sampling rate? It produces sibilance, as if the internal component is switching or something.

As for the volume control, is it necessary to turn the knob left and right until it returns to the original volume when first turned on? Finally, the infamous "popping" sound when the headphone is plugged or unplugged: just a small pool is affected, or something sinister? It sounds like all these are hardware related, though.

I have not owned a geek pulse, yet. I was offered a not-bad deal, so I was wondering if I should proceed with it, despite these bugs. I am aware that the pulse is not recommended to be turned off (OH, hence the name, when your pulse stopped, you die), just that I am constantly moving between my campus and my home, so, it will be carried around often.

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #9,702 of 13,800
Is there anyone having problem with the vanilla Geek Pulse when it was first turned on, and the first track it played is filled with buzz and other sibilance? Only when they are stopped and replayed, that those sounds go away?

And how about the songs with different sampling rate? It produces sibilance, as if the internal component is switching or something.

As for the volume control, is it necessary to turn the knob left and right until it returns to the original volume when first turned on? Finally, the infamous "popping" sound when the headphone is plugged or unplugged: just a small pool is affected, or something sinister? It sounds like all these are hardware related, though.

I have not owned a geek pulse, yet. I was offered a not-bad deal, so I was wondering if I should proceed with it, despite these bugs. I am aware that the pulse is not recommended to be turned off (OH, hence the name, when your pulse stopped, you die), just that I am constantly moving between my campus and my home, so, it will be carried around often.

What firmware are you using? Those sound like older issues.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #9,704 of 13,800
  Not exactly sure, but the seller got it on 6th of october from Geek, so I reckon it could be newest. The only problem described by him is the first problem, where the pulse is first turned on, there will be buzz and sibilance. Only stopped, then replayed removes it. 

i received my vanilla pulse less than 2 weeks ago and had to update the drivers to newest version.

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #9,705 of 13,800
  THANK YOU!!!! :) I read this name on couple of different forums, will get in touch. 

Edit: I keep asking myself this question if I really need to spend money on an LPS? There is no audible noise of any sort from the DAC. There is a lot of impact in the sound already, unless I want to go deaf or be blinded by the higher amounts of SQ :D 

I recently read a review where the reviewer claimed that the SQ through his tubes is so high that it blind-ens him and only thing he sees is a wall of sound What!!!!

Entirely up to you imo.
I've heard that the LPS adds a greater level of fidelity than the upgrade from Pulse X to Xfi.
The LPS would seem to be the most bang for buck incremental upgrade for your system right now, but if you are happy with it as it is, why change a thing?

If you do feel curious about how much an LPS can improve your enjoyment of music, the Jay's is probably one of the cheapest ones out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back