Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Sep 26, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #9,302 of 13,800
I guess it's time for me to eat my own hat.

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #9,304 of 13,800
I think this is the first time we are viewing what the back looks like in the new chassis?

Anyways, I wish the serial number was printed directly on the chassis as well (and no barcode was needed). Oh well.

I am looking forward to what the display looks like. From what I have seen so far in pictures, the text is always shown in the middle which leads me to believe that the rest is just glass.

Does anyone know how the top comes off? Does it slide off from the back of the unit or are there flush mounted black screws on the side of the unit?

Still no word on those 2G cables.

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #9,305 of 13,800
The 2.0 chassis does look good. From what I have seen this is the first time we have seen the back of it. As I remember reading, the top is held on by magnets and just lifts off. Magnets can be strong enough that it could be a minor challenge to lift the top, maybe you can slide it back more easily.

J.P.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #9,310 of 13,800
I am enjoying listing to my recently delivered Pulse Xfi, however I have noticed a couple of menu bugs.  I tried searching this thread for similar experiences but the keywords hit too many posts to actually find any information.   Does anyone else have these or know if there are fixes?

Menu bugs:
1)  If I enter the menu structure via the control knob, the sample rate disappears and does not return after any period of time if the source sample rate stays the same, in this case it only returns if the power is cycled.  If the sample rate changes, I think the display returns but I have limited material in other rates so I have only noticed this once.
2) After entering the menu structure, as soon as I turn the knob to change menus, the volume jumps to -0.0dB

Firmware: main 2.0, mcu 2.4
System: macbook pro -> USB ->Xfi (no LPS), most of the time with Geek Perfect

Initial Xfi impressions are very good, but really so far I've just been enjoying listening with limited tinkering.  I have't done any A-B comparisons to my Schitt gear as that's all at work.  Will shortly be trying it via the RCA outs with my Bottlehead Crack.  Also need to get a balanced cable for my LCDs to try the balanced portion.

For shipping reference I was a 1/21/14 Pulse Xfi backer, received 9/21/15.
Also ordered the Audeze+Pulse bundle on 12/11/14, headphones arrived~1/7/15, and I just received a shipping invoice for the vanilla pulse saying it's ready to ship.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #9,311 of 13,800
Hi,

Maybe some of you also have this:

Until my Pulse DAC Infinite doesn't arrive, I'm using this configuration:

AudioPC > Pangea Audio USB PCOCC & 4% silver (1,5m) > UpTone Audio USB REGEN (powered by Geek LPS 12V output ) > LightSpeed 2G Data leg (1m) > Geek LPS USB Input > Geek LPS USB Output > GO450 > Amplifier

The issue is that if I use Geek LPS 12V output to power "UpTone Audio USB REGEN" I get hum noise on my system.

This may indicate a problem with Geek LPS 12V output?

Thanks

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #9,312 of 13,800
I use the Regen, directly into the Geek Out Special Edition, no LPS, no hum. If I recall correctly, want the Regen supposed to use LPS at about 8v?

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #9,313 of 13,800
I use the Regen, directly into the Geek Out Special Edition, no LPS, no hum. If I recall correctly, want the Regen supposed to use LPS at about 8v?

Since I will not use Regen to power my GO, I can use some linear power supply with 5-20V output to power Regen with an issue...

http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/usb-regen-questions-and-answers

Sep 27, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #9,314 of 13,800
Hi,

Maybe some of you also have this:

Until my Pulse DAC Infinite doesn't arrive, I'm using this configuration:

AudioPC > Pangea Audio USB PCOCC & 4% silver (1,5m) > UpTone Audio USB REGEN (powered by Geek LPS 12V output ) > LightSpeed 2G Data leg (1m) > Geek LPS USB Input > Geek LPS USB Output > GO450 > Amplifier

The issue is that if I use Geek LPS 12V output to power "UpTone Audio USB REGEN" I get hum noise on my system.

This may indicate a problem with Geek LPS 12V output?

Thanks

This might be relevant: http://www.head-fi.org/t/750577/light-harmonic-geek-linear-power-supply-lps-and-lps4-impressions-discussion
Apparently some users had a 'buzzing' sound issue with their LPS when set up in a certain configuration. (which is apparently a defect, and not an intended part of the design)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back