Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #9,016 of 13,800
little confused where do i connect the regen - computer usb out, lps usb input or output?

With the Pulse the Regen goes between the USB cable and the Pulse USB input. So for my setup the signal path is: PC->LH 10G USB cable->Regen->USB A to USB B adapter->Infinity USB B input. My 10G is actually a split version, so the Signal leg is the one in the path above. The Power leg plugs into my LPS4 just so the computer sees power if it needs to for the initial handshake. 

And to the question regarding why the Regen helps when the Infinity already has the Femto clocks, well the technological details are above my pay-grade, but if you read the stuff on Uptone's web-page (and a lot of other places here on HF and also on CA) there are many explanations. Put simply, the Regen does something quite different to the signal, and IMHO it works. 

Cheers 

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #9,017 of 13,800
Hey guys quick question. I am still waiting for my Geek pulse cant wait to drive my HE-560's with it!

I have just purchased my first pair of studio monitors - JBL LSR305 

I am currently using a Fiio E10 until my geek pulse arrives. With active speakers i am just trying to work out what is safe obviously you are not meant to plug them into a amp or it will go boom.

At which point does this apply if i plugged them into the amplified output of the Fiio E10 would it hurt them being quite a low output? or the Geek pulses output would it hurt them?

I know the Fiio E10 has a line out and i will be using that. just trying to learn as my girlfriend could accidentally plug them into the amplified output on fiio instead of the line out as they are both 3.5mm.

The RCA is the right spot to plug them into the geek pulse vanilla version right? kinda wishing i got the X for the Balanced outputs now haha!

Thanks in advance

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #9,018 of 13,800
  Hey guys quick question. I am still waiting for my Geek pulse cant wait to drive my HE-560's with it!

I have just purchased my first pair of studio monitors - JBL LSR305 

I am currently using a Fiio E10 until my geek pulse arrives. With active speakers i am just trying to work out what is safe obviously you are not meant to plug them into a amp or it will go boom.

At which point does this apply if i plugged them into the amplified output of the Fiio E10 would it hurt them being quite a low output? or the Geek pulses output would it hurt them?

I know the Fiio E10 has a line out and i will be using that. just trying to learn as my girlfriend could accidentally plug them into the amplified output on fiio instead of the line out as they are both 3.5mm.

The RCA is the right spot to plug them into the geek pulse vanilla version right? kinda wishing i got the X for the Balanced outputs now haha!

Thanks in advance

Plug into an amp and it goes boom? No, I believe it was just that if you have sensitive anything you will want to unplug them from the Pulse before powering the Pulse down. That is because the decision to include safety components to prevent some of the pops from on/off of the amp were determined to be best left out and keep the signal path as pure as possible. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #9,019 of 13,800
I am not referring to the problems with the pulse and having things plugged in when turn it off.

I am talking about plugging Active Studio Monitors into an amplified output. as they already have an internal amplifier. As far as i know plugging an amp into an amp is a bad idea.

was just trying to learn if a head phone amp is lower power and it should effect active speakers. or if its a bad idea with any amp.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #9,020 of 13,800
I am not referring to the problems with the pulse and having things plugged in when turn it off.

I am talking about plugging Active Studio Monitors into an amplified output. as they already have an internal amplifier. As far as i know plugging an amp into an amp is a bad idea.

was just trying to learn if a head phone amp is lower power and it should effect active speakers. or if its a bad idea with any amp.

Your pulse has a headphone amp but it doesn't have an amp for speakers. It will provide a full 2.1v signal for SE and 4.2v for the XLR to drive your active speakers. Technically it's a digital preamp so you won't be amping an amp.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #9,022 of 13,800
  Plug into an amp and it goes boom? No, I believe it was just that if you have sensitive anything you will want to unplug them from the Pulse before powering the Pulse down. That is because the decision to include safety components to prevent some of the pops from on/off of the amp were determined to be best left out and keep the signal path as pure as possible. 

Nothing has gone boom but my Macbook Pro has cold restarted (like someone pressed a hard reset button) when I power cycled the Pulse XFi with the USB cable plugged in. It's a Lightspeed 2G cable and the Pulse end is connected to an Audiophilleo (to SPDIF in on Pulse) and an LPS4. 

Not sure if it's related to what you're saying but it could be. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #9,023 of 13,800

Nothing has gone boom but my Macbook Pro has cold restarted (like someone pressed a hard reset button) when I power cycled the Pulse XFi with the USB cable plugged in. It's a Lightspeed 2G cable and the Pulse end is connected to an Audiophilleo (to SPDIF in on Pulse) and an LPS4. 

Not sure if it's related to what you're saying but it could be. 

That is completely separate. The USB is an input to the Pulse, what we are discussing is the outputs. That said, I have not heard of such a thing happening with the restart, but I know USB's plugged in sometimes have that affect as my computer restarts when I plug in a USB cable that I use for my aquarium controller if I do not have the software it needs started up. Its weird but manageable.

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #9,024 of 13,800
  Hello Geek friends

I have an issue with both the Geek Pulse Sfi and Geek Out 720, same issue, same driver....

When listening to music (youtube, foobar, tidal, whatever), sometimes I get dropouts. It seems to me that it only happens when the music gets dense, not in quiet passages, but it happens quiet a lot. It's like an absence of music for 1 - 4 seconds.
Now I don't have the issue with the DX90 in DAC mode, so this has to do something with the Geek driver. I already put the driver on very high buffer settings: USB streaming mode safe/extra safe and Buffer size to MAX 8192. It doesn't change a thing. But when lowering the settings of the usb streaming mode it gets worse.

I checked with USBVIEW.exe if the usb hub is used, it's not. Firmware is also the latest.

Cables used are the delivered Lightspeed 1G for the pulse, and the Slacker for the Geek out....

I understand that I have problematic units, since they are both discontinued, but I don't think that this should matter.

If anyone had similar problems and resolved them, I'd be very glad to hear how.

Thanks

From what you have described it appears to be a buffer issue. Try changing the Buffer settings to Reliable and 4096 samples.

If that does not work, please open a support case at support.lhlabs.com.

Jody

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #9,025 of 13,800

From what you have described it appears to be a buffer issue. Try changing the Buffer settings to Reliable and 4096 samples.

If that does not work, please open a support case at support.lhlabs.com.

Jody

Has LH shipped and delivered 5% of Pulse Infinities in the new chassis?

Can LH labs update the production status page to reflect recent changes. For example, from an update 7 days ago:

Geek Pulse X Fi and Infinite boards should be here on week 4 of this month too.

Keep pushing. And I believe Pulse DAC will be one of your best friends during your music journey.
Cheers,
Larry

5% of Infinities were supposed to be delivered by middle of August. Since it wasn't explicitly said from the update from Larry a week ago, I take it that this has changed quite a bit.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #9,026 of 13,800
I asked in a support ticket and they mentioned early September. They didn't say why they're dalayed though, but I always assumed that the August date was a little optimistic.

It's safe to always add at least 3 weeks to any published ship/release date.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #9,028 of 13,800
I can't wait to see how the SSM filter turns out. I'm rediscovering some of my childhood songs on YouTube (mostly 80s pop and rock). Sounds freaking awesome with the X Infinity and SRS-2170.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfIcZtjAch8[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3W6yf6c-FA[/video]

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #9,029 of 13,800
Following all the talk of the Regen... Now I'm curious. If it doesn't do much for the Pulse, it should do a lot more for my GO450! After all, it would be a good substitute for a LPS whenever I'm on the road

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #9,030 of 13,800
Bet ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back