Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 12, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #8,837 of 13,800
  Both my single ended Geek Pulse and Geek Pulse X have had substantial issues. The Geek Pulse went back to LH Labs twice. Both issues were firmware related. First they replaced the entire DAC board because the firmware wiped itself. As soon as I got it back from that repair I had to send it back because of an issue with the front panel firmware which required LH Labs to do the update. This single-ended Pulse has worked great since then. 

The Pulse X has issues with various sample rates. When I first got it the right channel would not lock on any sample rate that wasn't a multiple of 48. They sent a new firmware that helped this issue, but it did not fix it. Now the right channel will go completely out 99% of the time. I need to turn the volume control up a few notches and then the right channel will lock on the signal. If this doesn't work I have to change the input to something else then change it back to the input I was originally using. Sometimes when the right channel is dropped it will make a constant crackling sound instead of being silent. This is usually on 24/44.1 after coming from a sample rate that is a multiple of 48. I live with this every day. 

I don't anticipate LH Labs will fix this issue. I'm probably going to live with it until I can buy an MSB Analog DAC.

Don't live with it.  Send it back to us ASAP and we'll have it replaced.  Open a ticket and PM your ticket number so I can follow up and track the entire process with our CH team.  

https://support.lhlabs.com/support/tickets/new

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #8,838 of 13,800
Not sure what you want me to say but thanks for the credibility. I have seen a thread discussing multiple DAC units, you can try and find it. I would say the main thing is to find what you are willing to spend and look at everything at and below that amount. Also research what is slightly above that budget. Sometimes its better to save a little longer to get the functionality and features you do not wanna sacrifice than be left with a unit you are not truly satisfied with and need to start saving from scratch or waste money selling it  aftermarket.

Thanks bro, I can totally understand. Give me a final word on Geek Pulse Fi with LPS. I asked earlier.

There are so many bad experiences but I'm relying only on those who upgraded from Oppo to a Geek and they felt sudden upgrade in SQ.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #8,839 of 13,800
Thanks bro, I can totally understand. Give me a final word on Geek Pulse Fi with LPS. I asked earlier.

There are so many bad experiences but I'm relying only in those who upgraded from Oppo to a Geek and they felt sudden upgrade in SQ.

I have an infinity and LPS, I cannot help you hear, sorry. I would say you are best to try things out if you can. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #8,842 of 13,800
My Geek Out 450 has the volume control bug (with new firmware) exactly as described by doctorjazz. My Pulse Xfi intermittently has this bug where the volume knob stops working. I've sent neither back for warranty service because frankly the 450 was so cheap it's not worth my time and the Pulse Xfi will be traded in for Vi Dac anyway. But yes I do find LHL products buggy.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #8,844 of 13,800
My Geek Out 450 has the volume control bug (with new firmware) exactly as described by doctorjazz. My Pulse Xfi intermittently has this bug where the volume knob stops working. I've sent neither back for warranty service because frankly the 450 was so cheap it's not worth my time and the Pulse Xfi will be traded in for Vi Dac anyway. But yes I do find LHL products buggy.

GO450 does not have any volume control at all once new firmware is ON. Buttons are for TCM/FRM filters.
Maybe you are confusing latest driver instead of firmware

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #8,845 of 13,800
Can you point me to the link of Geek Pulse Fi? And is there any difference between Geek Pulse and Pulse Fi?

Thanks. I can't try things. And I can't send unit back multiple times as I'm in the middle east.

I found this and it is a steal at that price!! Although I would check with LH Labs regarding warranty of an unused product bought as a gift as this listing claims to be. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321825777567&globalID=EBAY-US

The Pulse Fi has a femto clock and upgrades for passive and active components in the analog stage. It still uses one DAC chip like the standard Pulse. In general, the femto clock is considered to be a noticeable upgrade over the standard clock in the Pulse.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #8,846 of 13,800
Hi there,

I would just like to confirm that the difference between the standard Xfi and the Xfi infinity is the THD upgrade ($168), Naked Resistors ($129) and Vishay's 0.01% MELF resistors (FOC)?

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back