Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 25, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #8,536 of 13,800
As Apple learned the hard way with antennas it's all about design

No, you are just holding your phone wrong.

But yes.... Even though i woud like to give them benefit of the doubt, it's hard not to be suspicious regarding to the case design.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #8,537 of 13,800
  From Gavin's latest update, an unfortunate typo:

1. 10 Pulse DAC Pignature Edition units housed in Chassis 2.0

Does the Pignature Edition come with lipstick? If so, do we get to pick the color, and how do the different colors affect the sound quality?

biggrin.gif

No lipstick, just wings!
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #8,538 of 13,800
  Received my Infinity. Surprisingly light, looks superb in actuality and feels solid. Knob isn't wobbly and LED brightness is just right for desk situation.

Stacked on top of the LPS, they are a gestalt. I am delighted to have switch my initial choice of chassis.

Two gripes, one, the continual inclusion of "Geek" in Pulse branding. Two, unnecessary indicators on LPS are distractions.

As Mala in Cuba ends, The Electric Word starts.

I agree with everything above, except the screen brightness. The room has to be pretty dark, and/or I have to be within a foot of it to read it.  I have a good size window directly behind it, during daylight, it is quite a pain to read the display.
It would have been nicer to either have it brighter, or to have some adjustment. I know that, if they made it brighter, there would be those that would have complained that it was too bright. So some level of adjustment would have been nice. Even if that meant popping the cover.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #8,540 of 13,800
Jul 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #8,542 of 13,800
Had given up my LPS4 when I went the Vi route...now I'm a bit sorry I did, having a Geek Out Special Edition, and expecting a Wave And a Source, all of which likely better from LPS4. Also, the Desktop vs Rack decision, which I made for the rack component, but I actually listen much more away from the rack (recently drifting back to the rack, as I connected my LP12/Pro-Ject tube Phono stage into MicroZOTL2 driving HEK. Not so comfortable in my set up, but, man, sounds SWEET!)

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #8,543 of 13,800
Jul 25, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #8,544 of 13,800
Well.. consider the extra wait time most of us had to put up with with the 2.0 chassis....
it's too late to turn back to 1.0 now, especially when their shipping date is less than a month apart O.O

(Welp... finally time to dust off the Jay's Audio's LPS. )

You are absolutely right!

I hesitated and gave in and 2.0 chassis release wasn't really that far off! Then I see the Pulse SE video where you Gavin's point about how fast, nice and responsive is the new matrix board. The comment about the sd card slot for firmware updates made a bigger impression on me than before. I actually thought about the cost and time for me to send my Pulse back to factory for firmware update of display. I live in Puerto Rico, so it could be a lot of shipping money if I wanted fast or a lot of time if I wanted to send it cheap. Not to mention the risk of it getting lost in mail!! (NO!!). And then going back into the thread a couple of pages I see this picture

It looked so much better in that photo vs previous ones. The whole thing gave me a huge change of heart!!! And I'm freaking out a little because the 1.0 already shipped. I opened another service ticket to change back and just refuse delivery or send unit back without opening box and such! I so hope the change back can be done! It was only a one day difference between one thing and the other. I hope it's no big deal!

I thought of a way to hide the LPS if the trade-in price is out of my reach too.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #8,545 of 13,800
Did someone say 1.0? Here is the weekend rig

Apple MacMini>Pulse Infinity powered by LPS4>Moon Neo 430HA> Audeze LCD-X's

Those are Stillpoints Ultra 6's under the Neo 430

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #8,547 of 13,800
Man, at this point I have no idea where the heck the X-fi is on board for shipping between everything else. Figured if I just pushed it out of my mind for a few months things would get easier, but dear god, I feel like the amount of products doubled and things are getting shipped out in a weird order.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #8,548 of 13,800
Well I'm back from the meet. Even though Ham Sandwich and I setup next to each other, there were way too many other things to listen to and we ended up not getting a chance to compare the Xfi to the X Infinity.

Next time though! : p

Apparently there was a Geek Out V2 there too but it was hidden.

Oh yeah, Pulse X Infinity gets to around 100.6 F (38.11 C) on the side while being powered by the LPS4 and driving the SR-207 and K701 balanced; Pulse Xfi gets to 94-ish F on the side in comparison while using the RCA line out to another amp. Someone at the meet had an infrared heat gun. It took about 45 minutes, I think, for the X Infinity to get to that temperature.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #8,549 of 13,800
  Did someone say 1.0? Here is the weekend rig

Apple MacMini>Pulse Infinity powered by LPS4>Moon Neo 430HA> Audeze LCD-X's

Those are Stillpoints Ultra 6's under the Neo 430

That Simaudio Moon Neo looks awesome, and I hear they're fantastic (and very powerful). thats a real nice setup there 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #8,550 of 13,800
Well I'm back from the meet. Even though Ham Sandwich and I setup next to each other, there were way too many other things to listen to and we ended up not getting a chance to compare the Xfi to the X Infinity.

Next time though! : p

Apparently there was a Geek Out V2 there too but it was hidden.

Oh yeah, Pulse X Infinity gets to around 100.6 F (38.11 C) on the side while being powered by the LPS4 and driving the SR-207 and K701 balanced; Pulse Xfi gets to 94-ish F on the side in comparison while using the RCA line out to another amp. Someone at the meet had an infrared heat gun. It took about 45 minutes, I think, for the X Infinity to get to that temperature.

I also had the HP Gain set to Low on my Xfi.  I had it at Low just in case someone plugged in a headphone during the meet while the volume was at full volume.  I didn't want anyone to accidentally blow their headphones or my headphones due to having gain set too high.  Usually I have it set at Medium cause Medium is the best setting for my LCD-2.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back