Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 22, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #5,810 of 13,800
Well, I just got around with playing with the LPS after having received it quite awhile ago. I backed the Pulse X Infinity. So in the meantime while I can't take full advantage of it, I have it hooked up to my Audio-gd NFB-28. Of the two USB cables I am using, one of them is a really cheap cable --if that matters to you. The other is an Audioquest Forest cable.

I am trying my hardest to find any differences between source->NFB-28 and source->LPS->NFB-28 but I can't. I am listening on my Phillips X1's. Don't have any balanced headphones at the moment. Perhaps balanced headphones will highlight the differences (if any) between these two configurations?

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #5,811 of 13,800
  Well, I just got around with playing with the LPS after having received it quite awhile ago. I backed the Pulse X Infinity. So in the meantime while I can't take full advantage of it, I have it hooked up to my Audio-gd NFB-28. Of the two USB cables I am using, one of them is a really cheap cable --if that matters to you. The other is an Audioquest Forest cable.

I am trying my hardest to find any differences between source->NFB-28 and source->LPS->NFB-28 but I can't. I am listening on my Phillips X1's. Don't have any balanced headphones at the moment. Perhaps balanced headphones will highlight the differences (if any) between these two configurations?

The second configuration doesn't seem to make any sense to me. The LPS is a Linear Power Supply, providing better DC power to a DAC and/or isolating a usb-powered DAC from the pc's inferior power supply. Now, the Audio-gd has its own, internal power supply, all it gets from a pc is a signal, so an LPS is completely useless for this DAC. An LPS makes sense in a usb-powered DAC, such as my own iFi iDSD nano. where it brought a clear, audible improvement. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #5,812 of 13,800

The second configuration doesn't seem to make any sense to me. The LPS is a Linear Power Supply, providing better DC power to a DAC and/or isolating a usb-powered DAC from the pc's inferior power supply. Now, the Audio-gd has its own, internal power supply, all it gets from a pc is a signal, so an LPS is completely useless for this DAC. An LPS makes sense in a usb-powered DAC, such as my own iFi iDSD nano. where it brought a clear, audible improvement. 

It doesn't makes sense for this type of DAC as power (over the USB connection) is only used during initial handshaking with USB? Thereafter, the DAC supplies its own (similar to the pulse)? 

I honestly thought that another "perk" of the LH LPS was that they also provided a clean signal over USB...similar to the Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier. Yes, it's not the main feature as it's a Linear Power Supply like you said, but a feature nonetheless. Or so I thought.

If not...well, I truly have a paper weight here then as I patiently wait for the Pulse X Infinity. Meanwhile, the warranty clock on it ticks. :frowning2:

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #5,813 of 13,800

I honestly thought that another "perk" of the LH LPS was that they also provided a clean signal over USB...similar to the Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier. Yes, it's not the main feature as it's a Linear Power Supply like you said, but a feature nonetheless. Or so I thought.

Well, if the Audio-gd only receives signal from the pc, as I strongly suspect, it doesn't get any cleaner if you run it through the LPS :).

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #5,814 of 13,800
Attaching Link:  http://lhlabs.com/downloads/updates/dianas_production_progress_chart.pdf

Can someone from LH Labs give details on the Pulse X. I noticed it has the least progress among all the 'Pulse Variations'. Larry mentioned a while back that Pulse X will not be getting any more updates or upgrades to the Sabre chip as the design of the board has been confirmed (or something else about the design). He mentioned the 'ship has sailed' for the Pulse X. Unfortunately the progress chart seem to indicate otherwise. 

Just want to confirm that I'll be getting my X by mid-2015. I'm hoping the Pulse X is not being neglected due to a smaller number of backers. As with all crowd funding, backers want to receive a product that is at least current (if not future-proof) and not some iterations behind other DACs in the market. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #5,815 of 13,800
Of the Pulse series, the only variants that will get an upgrade to the ESS9018AQ2M chip are the Pulse X∞ and the Pulse SE. Both of those have custom boards and shipping will be delayed yet more due to the DAC chip upgrade. The Pulse SE only sold about 20 units and only those 20 or so will ever ship, so as a very limited Special Edition they deserve the very special attention that they will get. They will also be some of the last of the campaign pulses to ship. The Pulse X∞ will be late enough as it is...

Yes, the Pulse X and Pulse Xfi are finalized products already in production, so will not be getting the new ESS9018AQ2M DAC chip. The first few of the Xfi have already shipped and 80 more are going out this week. I expect that the Pulse X version will start shipping in the next two weeks. I believe that there were only about 80 of those backed, so those will only take about two or maybe three weeks to ship all of them.

J.P.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #5,818 of 13,800
I turned off by default as I check myself daily.

Concur. I check both myself and the forums daily. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #5,819 of 13,800
  Weird. I keep flagging them as not spam. Guess I'll have to reach out to gmail support. And I'm getting duplicates of every email as well.

Don't feel bad Brian.  Yahoo does the same thing to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back