Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 12, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #5,477 of 13,800
Regarding the headphone port on back... It's not that big a deal unless you switch headphones constantly or have a really short headphone cable
.. In my case I sit close to my amp so it will actually be good since my xlr cable is 10 feet so I'll have less hanging on the floor

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #5,479 of 13,800
  Very happy with the new ESS going into the Infinity.

I'm on ViDAC now, but it's still great news 
beerchug.gif

Hopefully this is the start of LH becoming responsive again to backers requests. The extended/transferrable warranty is promising too...

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #5,480 of 13,800
Regarding the headphone port on back... It's not that big a deal unless you switch headphones constantly or have a really short headphone cable
.. In my case I sit close to my amp so it will actually be good since my xlr cable is 10 feet so I'll have less hanging on the floor

Yeah. It just does not work in my setup at all.

My setup will use the dac for both headphone and speakers. So the headphones are attached for listening.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #5,481 of 13,800
When I found out the headphone out could be in the back I really thought it is so stupid... There are maybe two or three preamps that have HP out in the back, but they are preamps..
For me the pros and cons are following

Pros for Vi

Better chassis (better sound, and better looking) This is a proper chassis for a $1000 unit.
Build in bi-polar power (Better sound)
it is later this year so there is a chance that firmware are more polished and probably new XMOS chip?
Better resale value(arguably)

Cons for Vi
Bigger, I need to buy a new desk
More expensive
Wait longer
HP out in the wrong place?

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #5,482 of 13,800
  When I found out the headphone out could be in the back I really thought it is so stupid... There are maybe two or three preamps that have HP out in the back, but they are preamps..
For me the pros and cons are following

Pros for Vi

Better chassis (better sound, and better looking) This is a proper chassis for a $1000 unit.
Build in bi-polar power (Better sound)
it is later this year so there is a chance that firmware are more polished and probably new XMOS chip?
Better resale value(arguably)

Pardon me, but your Pros all seem to require the (arguably) tag.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #5,483 of 13,800
That word is implied in every post on head-fi since the dawn of time.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #5,487 of 13,800
Like the idea that they are offering transferable warranty.
Dislike the fact that we have to pay to get transferable warranty.

Like the idea that they are offering the new chip to backers without a cap on participation.
Dislike the fact that we haven't seen any report or measurement on the new chip.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #5,488 of 13,800
1. Has anyone come across Larry's opinions on the new chip and why he thinks it may be a good idea to get it?

2. The update didn't mention this but has their been official word on how long of a delay? From Larry/Gavin himself?

EDIT: Information about the chip: 

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/SABRE9018AQ2M%20PB%20v0.5%20141212.pdf

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #5,489 of 13,800
I think sometime next year or in 2016 when all is done, they should throw a big party and invite all the Geek force members, kind of like Emotiva does.  I feel like a part of a dysfunctional family LOL. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #5,490 of 13,800
Didn't Larry earlier confirmed there will be SE output for the Vi DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back