Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 11, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5,386 of 13,800
The Soul/Vi DAC was already available on the iGG forever funding campaign towards the end, so it's not like it's complete news.  That's why I chose Vi over the Pulse anyway.  I believe there were upgrade options offered too.  I do agree that the Vi is the more saleable product.  The Pulse unless having an exceptional sound and eventually becoming bug free will mire in the sea of DACs out there.  

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #5,387 of 13,800
Am I missing something here? The Pulse is a DAC and amp whilst the Vi is "only" a DAC?

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #5,390 of 13,800
I can't remember the exact details, but am I correct to say that the Pulse Forever Funding campaign had the

Pulse xfi -> Geek Soul xfi upgrade

with the Geek Soul xfi being rebranded as the Vi DAC xfi, and the price of that upgrade being more than the current $300 offered?

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #5,391 of 13,800
I just want my pulse infinity upgraded to the latest DAC chip!!!!
Vi DAC is too big for me

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #5,395 of 13,800
How can you have a headphone jack and no volume control for it? Makes no sense to me. I'm in for the Vi Tube, but can't stand that I"ll probably wait a year or more to see it. And, the pricing is really odd. And, since it hasn't finalized, I wouldn't bet against many more "perks" coming along to upgrade/increase the cost/increase the time for it's delivery.
Boy, sorry I started all this, sad to say. And, I was really enthusiastic about this all along. Maybe things will get better/clearer. (and, the headphone amp is about to be released, and a Vi Preamp is in the works, and, and, and...)

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #5,396 of 13,800
The only reason I backed the Pulse Xfi + LPS rather than the Soul Xfi was solely based on the fact that the Soul Xfi didn't have SE headphone out during the IGG campaign. Soul Xfi only had Balanced out, and not all of my headphones have balanced connectors.

Now, LH Labs decided to add SE out to the Vi Dac...

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #5,399 of 13,800
I still don't get how one listens to headphones without being able to make them louder or softer. It's like running your stereo out of the preamp line out. What if it blasts? (nah, couldn't happen to an LH product...)

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #5,400 of 13,800
It still doesn't make sense to have headphone sockets in the back and no easily accessible (even if properly working) volume control, no matter the design aesthetics.

Headphone jacks on the back just seems very wrong. That is putting fashion way too far in fromm front of form. Headphone jacks belong on the front. They might add well remove the hpa if they put the jacks on the back.

I assumed that if they didn't have a knob, that they would have some other volume control. Maybe touch based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back