Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #5,357 of 13,800

Is your statement about a "newly designed chassis" for Pulse X Infinity just something you want and are hoping for?
or do you believe that LH Labs is considering a new-chassis for Pulse X Infinity or have the forums  lead you to believe this?

just curious.

yes, I know the Vi DAC is a new chassis.

The newly designed chassis is the one for the new Geek HPA, just released today (well, also yesterday to some of the lucky who paid $9 for advanced notification!). Cheers 

20150211113811-pulse_hpa_concept_1.jpg

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #5,358 of 13,800
  The newly designed chassis is the one for the new Geek HPA, just released today (well, also yesterday to some of the lucky who paid $9 for advanced notification!). Cheers 

understood.  saw that as well for HPA. (yesterday)  
L3000.gif

but that chassis has no relationship to Pulse X Infinity.  that's what I was trying to clarify, and it was clarified by the original poster.
thx.

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #5,359 of 13,800
Sorry we’re late guys!  We ran into an issue uploading the new IGG perks.  Without further delay, here’s the latest news.

Upgrade to Vi DAC from Geek Pulse Xfi

Great news, dear backers. Larry, Gavin, and I have been chatting with you in the Geek Forum, on Head-Fi and in the comments section of our Vi DAC campaign. In our conversations with you, we’ve heard you loud and clear: you want to be able to upgrade from your Geek Pulse Xfi to a Vi DAC Xfi or Vi DAC Tube

Effective IMMEDIATELY, you’ll be able to upgrade your Pulse Xfi to either Vi DAC Xfi or Vi DAC Tube. These perks will only be offered until Saturday, Feb 14 @ Noon PST.

Check out what we have in store by visiting Vi: High Performance, Crowd Designed Audio System

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #5,360 of 13,800
Sorry we’re late guys!  We ran into an issue uploading the new IGG perks.  Without further delay, here’s the latest news.

Great news, dear backers. Larry, Gavin, and I have been chatting with you in the Geek Forum, on Head-Fi and in the comments section of our Vi DAC campaign. In our conversations with you, we’ve heard you loud and clear: you want to be able to upgrade from your Geek Pulse Xfi to a Vi DAC Xfi or Vi DAC Tube

Effective IMMEDIATELY, you’ll be able to upgrade your Pulse Xfi to either Vi DAC Xfi or Vi DAC Tube. These perks will only be offered until Saturday, Feb 14 @ Noon PST.

[COLOR=2A2A2A]Check out what we have in store by visiting [/COLOR][COLOR=EB1478]Vi: High Performance, Crowd Designed Audio System[/COLOR]

Casey, I am really interested in this option but what becomes of Pulse Infinity & LPS4 perks if we upgrade to Vi DAC?

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,361 of 13,800
Casey, I am really interested in this option but what becomes of Pulse Infinity & LPS4 perks if we upgrade to Vi DAC?

Great question! Same thing has been asked over on the the LHL forums. Got a number of people who want to make that jump but then would be stuck with an LPS or LPS4 they would no longer need. 

Thoughts Casey? Maybe credit the cost of the LPS and include the Infinity upgrade on the Vi DAC if you got it on the Pulse Xfi?

Cheers

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,362 of 13,800

Check out what we have in store by visiting Vi: High Performance, Crowd Designed Audio System

And for those who have backed a Xfi Infinity? Does the $300 give us an Vi Infinity?   And if we've already back the $22.00 ESS Chip update that hasn't materialized.  Would be nice to have all information right from the top.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,363 of 13,800

BIG problem with this explanation, the ground loop issue is in fact present when LPS/4 is used with their own DAC, Geek Out, contrary to what they state in the video.

Both myself and @miceblue have tested the LPS4 with Geek Out and another 12 volt device, and had the enormous ground loop buzz.

So their contention that this only happens with other manufacturer's DACs is incorrect, and they know that because it was reported to them as such in detail by 2 or 3 different Force members.

If you want Geek Out powered by LPS to drive another 12 volt device connected to LPS then you will have to have a ground jumper installed. An LPS's USB ground is "floating" without this jumper.  

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #5,367 of 13,800
If you want Geek Out powered by LPS to drive another 12 volt device connected to LPS then you will have to have a ground jumper installed. An LPS's USB ground is "floating" without this jumper.  

I don't quite understand. The GO works with the Geek LPS by itself just fine since it uses the differential thingamabob. The LPS has a floating ground design with the USB such that the computer's ground doesn't touch the LPS's USB ground. I thought clean power was the point of USB output and that a "dirty power source" was the culprit of some of the issues of the GO, not ground like Larry seems to suggest in their latest YouTube video.

The external amp works with the Geek LPS by itself just fine too.

The problem comes when you use both the USB out and the 12 V out at the same time and the buzzing dilemma appears. Why would connecting the USB output back to ground with the jumper thing fix the issue? When this happens, now the USB output is connected back to the PC's ground, which defeats the purpose of the LPS from what I got out of that video (ground is what's noisy for USB outputs, not power). Apparently the Geek Pulse isn't affected by this issue because it's self-powered(?) and you can remove the USB power cable from the LPS to the Pulse after the initial handshake.

If I use both the Pulse as a DAC and the external amp with the LPS, will I still get the buzzing? I thought the whole point of the LPS was to provide clean, linear power outputs to connected devices (the whole thing was advertising that cleaner power is what matters). With the pin connecting the LPS's ground to the PC, doesn't that mean the PC's noise is still present in the whole system since Larry said ground is the culprit for noise in the video, not power? They even say in the video that there's not much point to having the LPS when the grounds are connected with the jumper.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #5,368 of 13,800
I don't quite understand. The GO works with the Geek LPS by itself just fine since it uses the differential thingamabob. The LPS has a floating ground design with the USB such that the computer's ground doesn't touch the LPS's USB ground. I thought clean power was the point of USB output and that a "dirty power source" was the culprit of some of the issues of the GO, not ground like Larry seems to suggest in their latest YouTube video.

The external amp works with the Geek LPS by itself just fine too.

The problem comes when you use both the USB out and the 12 V out at the same time and the buzzing dilemma appears. Why would connecting the USB output back to ground with the jumper thing fix the issue? When this happens, now the USB output is connected back to the PC's ground, which defeats the purpose of the LPS from what I got out of that video (ground is what's noisy for USB outputs, not power). Apparently the Geek Pulse isn't affected by this issue because it's self-powered(?) and you can remove the USB power cable from the LPS to the Pulse after the initial handshake.

If I use both the Pulse as a DAC and the external amp with the LPS, will I still get the buzzing? I thought the whole point of the LPS was to provide clean, linear power outputs to connected devices (the whole thing was advertising that cleaner power is what matters). With the pin connecting the LPS's ground to the PC, doesn't that mean the PC's noise is still present in the whole system since Larry said ground is the culprit for noise in the video, not power?

MB - I think that Larry was actually talking about compatibility issues, not the ground loop buzzing. There are some DACs that don't get recognized by the computer when run through the LPS and that appears to be due to the grounding design stuff he was talking about. Cheers

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #5,369 of 13,800
  MB - I think that Larry was actually talking about compatibility issues, not the ground loop buzzing. There are some DACs that don't get recognized by the computer when run through the LPS and that appears to be due to the grounding design stuff he was talking about. Cheers

No, these are one and the same. Larry says the LPS's USB ground is floating, so it is not tied to the LPS's chassis ground.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #5,370 of 13,800
Great question! Same thing has been asked over on the the LHL forums. Got a number of people who want to make that jump but then would be stuck with an LPS or LPS4 they would no longer need. 

Thoughts Casey? Maybe credit the cost of the LPS and include the Infinity upgrade on the Vi DAC if you got it on the Pulse Xfi?

Cheers

good luck in getting a refund. based on past experiences i will be surprised if they give u a refund or allow a return- but maybe as part of their upgrade program u can get some credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back