Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4,741 of 13,800
  It is worth reminding ourselves every so often that we chose to save money by taking on risks in production/fulfillment schedule and ultimately delivery at all. I'm not concerned that they won't deliver since they have on previous projects, but we decided to pay money for a product that didn't exist and that we didn't get to hear or test, all for the chance to spend less than retail.

Some risks pay off, like reaching funding goals that result in upgrades or free cables. When I pledged for an original vanilla pulse, I had lower expectations for the product I would receive than the one they have put together subsequently. Some risks don't pay off, like the manufacturing timeline being delayed or shipping being affected by strikes.

But to accept only the positive risk payoffs and reject the negatives after willfully engaging in a risky transaction from the start rather than buying a more expensive product off the shelf seems intellectually dishonest. We are funding the development and creation of a product from the ground up and going along for the ride with all delays, mistakes, surprises, or disasters that result. 

That said, I'm really looking forward to getting my stuff and would appreciate clearer setting of expectations and communication. 

Thank you Ebonyzer, that was beautifully stated. People are impatient and it is unfortunate that some become obnoxious and abusive when they don't get what they want when they want. I see this a lot recently in the LH Labs forum and more than enough here too.

I am a fairly patient person and have waited over a year for other products that I have heard about and wanted, so the wait for the Pulse is not a new thing except for the little detail of having already paid for it. This crowd funding thing and our involvement in the development process is different and quite interesting.

That said, my patience is wearing thin and I am torn between having the newest and possibly best DAC chip version and having my Pulse X∞ a month or two earlier. I am sure that either way my Pulse will be excellent and I do wonder if I could even hear the difference between the two DAC chips in a direct A/B comparison. I joined in the campaign Nov. 13 2013 so it has been quite a wait. I guess we will just have to see what LH Labs decides to do and I will be happy with the results either way.

J.P.

Sensible responses which I wholeheartedly agree with. Whilst it would be great to have the latest chip, I look at the journey we've had getting the Pulse to where it is now, and wonder if it's worth the hassle. After all, who's to say the new chip will make any discernible improvement. Unless it's implemented and compared to the old chip, nobody knows, and how long would that take with all the other projects chugging along. I can't see this being done for free either, it's just too much work, so do we get to the stage where we shell out more cash to add yet another pulse variant to the list?

Just wait for Pulse Mk 2 to hit the shelves in twelve months or so, and buy that!

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #4,742 of 13,800
My desire is not for the newest chip, but for the best sounding DAC.

Larry has spent months tuning the Pulse and current chip to sound as best as possible.

While a new chip may have newer tech, the time spent re-tuning to ensure same or better sound is a large unknown.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #4,743 of 13,800
I really think the Geek Pulse design is frozen a few months ago. I don't understand why Larry would even consider to change the DAC chip in IGG. Listening is good, but most of the time you don't have to act. Read the post by Schiit.
As confirmed by Larry the pin lay out is different, I would think changing the DAC chip will push at least 3 months back and 2X the SKUs.
I am not even slightly interested in the new chip even thought I jokingly started a thread in LHL, and I don't think it would be wise for LHL to offer more SKUs and alter the design.

1. Polish the firmware.
2. Focus on producing and shipping.
3. Send out for review.

That is what I think LHL should really do now.
This campaign is well over a year and you are wearing off the patience/attention. You can't sell much if you: 1. you has buggy firmware. 2. The thread is a year long and no many products show up/discussion, people who was interested are not. 3. New DACs coming up everyday, time is not waiting.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #4,744 of 13,800
  I really think the Geek Pulse design is frozen a few months ago. I don't understand why Larry would even consider to change the DAC chip in IGG. Listening is good, but most of the time you don't have to act. Read the post by Schiit.
As confirmed by Larry the pin lay out is different, I would think changing the DAC chip will push at least 3 months back and 2X the SKUs.
I am not even slightly interested in the new chip even thought I jokingly started a thread in LHL, and I don't think it would be wise for LHL to offer more SKUs and alter the design.

1. Polish the firmware.
3. Send out for review.

This campaign is well over a year and you are wearing off the patience/attention. You can't sell much if you: 1. you has buggy firmware. 2. The thread is a year long and no many products show up/discussion, people who was interested are not. 3. New DACs coming up everyday, time is not waiting.

Totally agree on this one with regards to the Pulse. 

Completely different situation with the Wave, where the PCB is still in development and such a change is much easier to make. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #4,745 of 13,800
I think some people are forgetting that just because you are a backer of a crowdfunding campaign and accepted that there are risks involved you're not obligated to be happy customer when the campaign turned out to be badly run/managed.

Also it does not take away your right to voice criticisms.

A lot of backers are too quick to beat back any criticism - including legit ones - towards the company like some sort of volunteer bouncer, perhaps falling victim to the stockholm syndrome, feeling protective of the kidnapper of their money/investment.

As for more revisions, I say fix any bugs/problems and just ship our products. No more delays.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,747 of 13,800

1. Polish the firmware.
3. Send out for review.

I wish LHL would take this opinion to heart. It's gonna bug me if my $1000 purchase has firmware bugs that were present and known about from past products, and its just been a long time. If they move back and change the chip, that wouldn't be the same as the product I paid for and has been previously reviewed, and I'd really like to have mine this summer

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #4,748 of 13,800
  I think some people are forgetting that just because you are a backer of a crowdfunding campaign and accepted that there are risks involved you're not obligated to be happy customer when the campaign turned out to be badly run/managed.

Also it does not take away your right to voice criticisms.

Agreed. Oh, and the other thing I have seen in this thread is:

I think some people are forgetting that just because you are a backer of a crowdfunding campaign and you got an amazing price, you're not obligated to be happy customer.....

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #4,749 of 13,800

Agreed. Oh, and the other thing I have seen in this thread is:

I think some people are forgetting that just because you are a backer of a crowdfunding campaign and you got an amazing price, you're not obligated to be happy customer.....

Whether the price is amazing will be decided by actual performance, not because LHL jacked up MSRP to the stratosphere.

And I don't think most people would agree to save a lot of money in exchange for getting their balls twisted, whether it's physically or emotionally.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #4,750 of 13,800
  As for more revisions, I say fix any bugs/problems and just ship our products. No more delays.

Not really sure how you reconcile these two points. Fixing bugs and problems takes time. Ship now and you're bound to get a product with more problems. Fix all the problems and it's going to take more time. I'd prefer to wait and have a product that's a bit more bulletproof, but I know that many others have different points of view, which is totally cool. Cheers

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #4,751 of 13,800
  I wish LHL would take this opinion to heart. It's gonna bug me if my $1000 purchase has firmware bugs that were present and known about from past products, and its just been a long time. If they move back and change the chip, that wouldn't be the same as the product I paid for and has been previously reviewed, and I'd really like to have mine this summer

In new released firmware 1V1, the majority about power up volume and input switch has been addressed. 
And basically I agree with you, the new ESS IC will work with Geek Wave which we still have good time to fine tune the sound.
For Geek Pulse, design has frozen for quite a while.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #4,752 of 13,800
Well I know me and others are pushing for the new ESS DAC on the Infinite model even if it'll delay shipping for a month or 2.
Larry did say it was possible.

I'm still waiting ESS for their final delivery time and schedule. Schedule wise, it fits perfectly with Geek Wave but for Geek Pulse Infinity. We need to see. 

We already place the orders for Naked Resistors and MELFs. Next three weeks, we will see the first batch of them in our lab. And 500 pieces per 2 weeks (more or less. We need to give them some buffer too) 

I hope Geek Pulse backers could get their DAC soon. 

Cheers,

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #4,753 of 13,800
Do you really think we only have to blame the marketing team ?
Larry is the owner, he is aware of every decision....
rolleyes.gif

Thats why, more and more, I like Shiit audio designs and their commitment, support and product quality! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back