Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 28, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #4,006 of 13,800
I do not know whether is it my imagination or is it because of the results of burning in the PULSE. 
The musics sounded very grand-like with the well extended full-bodied bass I had never experience in my system. 

Not that it only good at reproducing bass, the vocal, details are equally as good. 

I really wonder how good will be the Xfi and the SE ?!

p/s: I'm listening while i type :D

How does the stock Pulse compare to the Geek Out?

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #4,007 of 13,800
Geek Out is great little USB DAC for mobility. In fact I use them for my stereo while waiting for PULSE the past months. 
It sounded good, but not great (good enough if you don't compare). The weakness is it has a little grainy high and less low octave bass reproduction. I did not use any LPS with the Geek Out, it was plugged to my ZBox CI320 USB directly though the ZBox is benefiting from my DIY LPS but the USB 5v in ZBox is SMPS from the power input hence i presume it's not as clean. 

Standard PULSE on the other hand, comes with properly designed line-out stage which i believe was fine tuned by Larry; and is powered up by my Jay's Audio LPS. I'm using it for stereo at the moment, despite it's a solid state throughout the signal chain, it sounded very analog-like. I guess was the intended results of the choice of Elna Silmic II caps at the output stage. The bass is also noticeable more prominent, and lush. 

I'm an engineer, i like to stripe open electronics gears to see what's inside (too bad i cannot open my pulse, it will void the warranty!) 
Here is the photos of pulse posted in LHLabs. 

It's a full-scaled DAC with headphone stage and line-out stage. With bear eye analysis, it will surely sounds better than Geek Out :D

Best purchase in 2014!

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #4,008 of 13,800
Grainy highs are somewhat characteristic of the ESS DACs from what I've read and experienced myself. The Geek Out does a better job at the graininess, but it might be due to the custom-built digital filters too.

When you say more "analog-like," what exactly does that mean?

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #4,009 of 13,800
Haha I already regret the naked resistor upgrade so soon after the moving on up upgrade.  The description jeremy posted of the naked resistor upgrade sounds pretty uninspiring. I don't regret my Jays audio LPS though, it looks awesome.  I swear I should ban myself from head-fi until my bank account hits a decent threshold of money :p

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #4,013 of 13,800
Wow awesome part on the free 2G cable. Now I have 2 2G USB cables!
Hopefully I'll be able to sell my spare one to save some cost...

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #4,014 of 13,800
Yah it's crazy about the free Lightspeed 2G cable, I think the thd perk is cheaper than the actual cable by itself?

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #4,018 of 13,800
Ma
maybe matching is easy we are just paying for 2g ?

Ma: Have a read here

http://lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/2797-geek-pulse-xfi-signature-edition-details?start=475#47334

Users who are viewing this thread

Back