Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #3,781 of 13,800
Another round (3rd?) of the THD perk has been released.  There must be a lot of people out there with ultra-golden ears!  
rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,782 of 13,800
Agreed. Just trying to find out if it is really worth upgrading to the XFi from a Pulse X.

You also get the upgraded active/passives.

I personally got the "middle backer" perk at $622...mainly for those because I know upgraded a/p's can make a difference. The femtos for me was a bonus.

At this point I will not spend more money on LH's schemes (because I'm extremely annoyed with them) but I think you are in a better position to get a deal that I'd go for.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #3,788 of 13,800
I'm finding it hard to resist at all. Though it's never been mentioned what happens when you select additional perks, I don't want to risk having my place in line moved further out. 

difference is that I haven't put anything in yet, so I'll already be at the back of the line, and as a new pledger the price point is real hard to say no to.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #3,789 of 13,800
So I have been on the fence about getting a newly released Schiit Modi2 Uber/ Magni2 Uber stack for $300 (instead of the Modi/Magni original @ $200) but with the payment plan I decided to go ahead and take the plunge on the base model Geek Pulse for $400 no frills as car repairs and kid in college keeps me perpetually poor. I got the very last opening a couple hours ago so now that perk is closed. I hope I made the right call but this looks to be a better piece of equipment than the Schiit stack and self contained. 
Up till now I have been using whatever line out my device had with a splitter for analog into a an analog line in on my headphone tube amp so I am looking forward to a quality external dac and hopefully the amp portion is great as well. If not I can still feed my tube amp via line outs (or even my HT amps). All in all pretty happy even wothout upgrades as I would never have been able to afford even the base model at MSRP or street prices.  I was wondering though if the amp will drive orthostatics as well as dynamics. Have no interest in IEM's. Hopefully the noise floor is low as well.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #3,792 of 13,800

It's got a 3000mw headphone amp (sounds so much more better than 3 watts). I don't recall seeing the specs into different impedances, but I think you'll be fine 
basshead.gif

I think it's 3000mW @ 16Ohms.  So by my rough math that's 750mW into 64Ohms (for the Vanilla Pulse, not sure if the Pulse X's numbers differ).

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,793 of 13,800
  So any comparisons to other DACs would be great. Im on the fence... The Sabre DAC is thin sounding per my experience with a lack of detail and loss of instrument attack/decay. These issues were present on both the Yulong and Resonessence I owned.

Is the Dac warm, full with lots of detail and decay.

The Pulse is incredibly detailed.  But it is lean and somewhat cold.  Definitely not warm.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,794 of 13,800
Femto will help for every input, including USB. My GO SE has femto clocks and there were immediately obvious changes when I listened against the 1000. Thanks to Larry I'm now a believer in the power of a well implemented femto.

I'll second the difference in the GO SE versus the 1k...not sure what other improvements went into SE, but it is waaaaaaaaaay better sounding than the 1k (which is pretty good sounding).

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #3,795 of 13,800

The Pulse is incredibly detailed.  But it is lean and somewhat cold.  Definitely not warm.

well..... we can always add warmth to the system... but not detail XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back