Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,146 of 13,800
Chartwell thanks.
Appreciate if you could answer my private message.

Hydesg,

As a young company, we're constantly growing and expanding each department and the functionality they control.  

LH Labs strives to exceed the standards set by our customers in every aspect from the customer service experience all the way to delivery and overall impression of our products.  We take it wholeheartedly when our customers feel we are missing a beat and address the issues they raise with the utmost haste as to not repeat them again.

Please know that I will personally review this issue with Carlos and that you'll see improvements moving forward.

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #2,148 of 13,800
Just received the a new update from LH.

It looks like the new shipping date is now on Nov. 14th due to the sound tweak.

Personally.. I'm perfectly fine with that, but just figures to let everyone know.

Just hope they will finish shipping all devices before the Xmas shipping craze starts.

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,149 of 13,800
Update from IGG:

Quote:
Hi there backers,

This year, we used RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest) as a final listening test opportunity before sending out units to you. We made appointments with and had critical listening sessions with some of the Geek Force's and the industry's "golden ears" to verify what we were hearing. We've now come back to the lab and are addressing everyone's feedback. Larry decided to add a little weight to the bottom end, and now Geek Pulse is sounding even more natural without feeling heavy.

These tweaks have added a few parts to Geek Pulse: a pair of caps and a few resistors on the analog stage. This will add just a little more time before we can deliver, but we've weighed a late delivery against the best sound and feel that better sound trumps a faster delivery. We now expect first shipments of Geek Pulse to begin November 14th.

It was so great to meet so many of you in person for the first time.  It was also fun to meet up with so many of you've we've met before.  Thank you all for visiting our exhibits and for your honest feedback as you evaluated Geek Pulse.  We've put a lot of our hearts into this project, and we know you've put a lot of yourselves into it as well.  Working together has been fantastic, and I hope we can continue this tradition as we finish out this project, finish out Geek Wave, and move on to the next one. :)

Here are some pics from the show:

<snip>

Can we make minor tweaks to the faceplate while you are at it?

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,150 of 13,800
The HE-560 is definitely much better than the Alpha Dogs. Before getting the HE-560, i had looked at getting the Alpha Dogs as it was a closed planar. However i felt that the balance was off. IMO the soundstage of the Alphas didn't seem coherent with a recess between the mid-range and lower treble. The HE-560 on the other hand has a very transparent and perfectly proportioned sound.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,151 of 13,800

From our experience at RMAF there a few minor tweaks Larry is making to the Pulse based on our feedback from the crowd.  

If I posted a SOLID date and we took a day or two longer to begin shipments, I'd rather not have to go back on my words so I'm going to leave it at a few.

Once I'm 100% confident in a shipping date I'll update this thread and the many others centered around the shipping dates for Pulse.

Thanks for understanding.

Thanks, I see there is now an official update on the Pulse Production Roadmap page, still an estimate rather than a solid date for shipments to begin.

My calculation of a few weeks from now was off a bit, not Nov. 6th but Nov. 14th.

I think Pulse S/f/i backers are very likely looking at 2015.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #2,153 of 13,800
Given that the original date was May 2015, postponing further for a few tweaks is highly disappointing.  

Sound quality is very elusive.  If LH goal is to hear feedback until people are fully, 110% satisfied and have no feedback to offer, they will never ship.  :frowning2:

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #2,154 of 13,800
Speaking of sound quality, an update from Larry:
http://www.lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/1943-gpu-002-is-ready-start-testing?start=125#34958
I did a in depth listening test for Geek Pulse with and without Geek LPS.
Also Geek Pulse S/X with and without Geek LPS.

One interesting finding is: Geek Pulse seems need Geek LPS more. The difference is more significant than Geek Pulse S/X.

Cheers,

http://www.lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/2063-pc-gpx-002-start-testing?start=100#34957
Now, we are using Pass Preamp compare with Geek Pulse digital volume control with our prototype power amp.

Result is interesting...

And after I fine tune the analog filter of IV stage, the lower back weight added back a little more after RMFA.

It's really sounding great now.

Larry

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2,155 of 13,800
I guess we're all going to be together a little longer since shipping had a small delay :p

I'm confused by the final tweak.. "Larry decided to add a little weight to the bottom end. ... These tweaks have added a few parts to Geek Pulse: a pair of caps and a few resistors on the analog stage."
Didn't the boards already get finalized and 100 of them were sent to the board house to be populated with chips?  Is it easy to add a few resistors and a pair of caps to a board without having to revise the pcb?

Here's some stuff to help us stay positive:
Look at all these enclosures ready to go

Larry confirmed some specs for the Geek Pulse X:

4V for XLR Line out. (Actually it is 4.1V)
2V for RCA Line Out (2.1V here)

Low Gain in Headphone: 1.8V
Mid: 3V
High: 7V

[New-added] -- On balanced headphone output

Low Gain in Headphone: 3.6V
Mid: 6V
High: 14V

IC: Class-A biased TPA6120A2 (Geek Pulse X has TWO of it for balance out)

Enjoy!

Larry

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,156 of 13,800
Low Gain in Headphone: 1.8V [maybe 202.5 mW @ 16 Ω, 10.8 mW @ 300 Ω]
Mid: 3V [maybe 562.5 mW @ 16 Ω, 30 mW @ 300 Ω]
High: 7V [maybe 3.0625 W @ 16 Ω, 163.33 mW @ 300 Ω]

Low Gain in Headphone: 3.6V [maybe 810 mW @ 16 Ω, 43.2 mW @ 300 Ω]
Mid: 6V [maybe 2.250 W @ 16 Ω, 120 mW @ 300 Ω]
High: 14V [maybe 12.250 W @ 16 Ω, 653.33 mW @ 300 Ω]

I added possible power outputs at 16 and 300 Ω in bold. I might be incorrect about this since amp manufacturers usually list the highest voltage out possible, but that doesn't mean at 16 Ω it'll be that high since small loads are current-limited rather than voltage-limited for larger loads.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,157 of 13,800
Can I ask where you got these numbers, because it seems higher than what was actually in the initial spec sheets?

Quote:
  I guess we're all going to be together a little longer since shipping had a small delay :p

I'm confused by the final tweak.. "Larry decided to add a little weight to the bottom end. ... These tweaks have added a few parts to Geek Pulse: a pair of caps and a few resistors on the analog stage."
Didn't the boards already get finalized and 100 of them were sent to the board house to be populated with chips?  Is it easy to add a few resistors and a pair of caps to a board without having to revise the pcb?

Here's some stuff to help us stay positive:
Look at all these enclosures ready to go

Larry confirmed some specs for the Geek Pulse X:

4V for XLR Line out. (Actually it is 4.1V)
2V for RCA Line Out (2.1V here)

Low Gain in Headphone: 1.8V
Mid: 3V
High: 7V

Low Gain in Headphone: 3.6V
Mid: 6V
High: 14V

IC: Class-A biased TPA6120A2 (Geek Pulse X has TWO of it for balance out)

Enjoy!

Larry

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2,158 of 13,800
Sure, Larry posted the numbers in this post http://www.lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/2146-pulse-x-output-levels-and-poweramp-stage-config#34821

That's why I posted them, the balanced headphone out numbers seem higher.. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,160 of 13,800
I need to make a change on shipping address and I reopened their survey link (I am one of the first 100 people that LH sent out survey links), and the page requested me to go back to their support system. I opened a ticket in the support system, and I haven't heard back from them in the last 24 hours. I tried to email to cs@lhlabs.com, and I got the same result.
Anyone here know if there's a better way to communicate with LH customer service department? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back