Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Apr 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,516 of 13,800
That may be true, but I still feel that people will be seriously disappointed.

Who will be disappointed? The average customer that failed to pull the trigger on IGG?

At the end of the day, the proof will be in it's performance! If it performs better than other $1,000 DACs then why would anyone be disappointed?

Had I not backed the Pulse on Indiegogo, yeah I would be pretty disappointed, as would anyone else who didn't back it. If a manufacturer is going to say something is $500 MSRP, the customers expect it to be that price, not twice or thrice the price. If Apple says their next generation Mac Pro's pricing starts at $2999, I expect it to be that price, not $5998. I don't care if it performs better than $10,000, if I expected it to cost $3000, I likely planned my budget around that value. Simple as that. If people were planning for the Pulse to be $500 like it was originally intended to be, people aren't going to buy it if their budget won't allow for it when it's twice the price. Not everyone is made of money.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,517 of 13,800
Had I not backed the Pulse on Indiegogo, yeah I would be pretty disappointed, as would anyone else who didn't back it. If a manufacturer is going to say something is $500 MSRP, the customers expect it to be that price, not twice or thrice the price. If Apple says their next generation Mac Pro's pricing starts at $2999, I expect it to be that price, not $5998. I don't care if it performs better than $10,000, if I expected it to cost $3000, I likely planned my budget around that value. Simple as that. If people were planning for the Pulse to be $500 like it was originally intended to be, people aren't going to buy it if their budget won't allow for it when it's twice the price. Not everyone is made of money.
Prbly one of the dumbest things I've read in awhile.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,518 of 13,800

Dude, you get disappointed way too easy. :)  If you get disappointed about a promised price for a product that does not exist yet, I can only imagine how you feel when a manufacturer actually raises the price of an existing product.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #1,519 of 13,800
Prbly one of the dumbest things I've read in awhile.

I didn't think something called a budget was such a hard concept to understand. Apparently I was wrong. XD

Maybe people nowadays don't use those foreign concepts.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,520 of 13,800
Sorry, a bit of OT. Let me get this.

You will be contended on a $4k sounding DAC costing $300 priced at $3k than
A $4k sounding DAC costing $300 originally priced at $500 now upped at $1k.
Because the former marketed and asked you to pay at that fixed price,
while the later, 'doubled' it's price.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,521 of 13,800
Miceblue,
You failed to account for the evolvement of the original concept of the Pulse when it was envisaged originally at $499. Now it has evolved to include a free but high end USB cable, multiple extra inputs & outputs, upgraded passive components, remote capability, upgraded Elna caps, etc. We as backers got rewarded for these as perks but these upgrades cost money and it's only fair that retail purchasers bear the cost of this extra benefit. Why would they get perks for free that backers were responsible for? Seems fair to me. Don't know why you're belly aching. You were also the one who took offense to LH putting out measurements of the competition.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,522 of 13,800
Sorry, a bit of OT. Let me get this.

You will be contended on a $4k sounding DAC costing $300 priced at $3k than
A $4k sounding DAC costing $300 originally priced at $500 now upped at $1k.
Because the former marketed and asked you to pay at that fixed price,
while the later, 'doubled' it's price.

IDK... a $1k dac beating a $3k or $4k dac... sounds more like pure marketing to me...  

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #1,523 of 13,800
Well that's what they say. 
We've got initially all high praises right now regarding SQ with early receivers of Geek Out.
We'll see. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #1,524 of 13,800
Well, I have a friend who plans to make some cash by selling his $299 Geek at $899.

Will the ~$1,000 RETAIL version be distinguishable from the initial test batches that people backed for $299?
Packaging? Accessories? Markings? Etc...

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #1,525 of 13,800
The $300 was only in the beginning. The perks changed with time:

Geek Pulse as a Geek Out backer and shipping: $239
Instant $1M update: $88
femto clock: $119
Geek S upgrade: $120
Slacker Mini: $10

Together: $576

Way over MSRP, so yea, expect a totally upgraded Geek Pulse S to be more them $499

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,526 of 13,800
  The $300 was only in the beginning. The perks changed with time:

Geek Pulse as a Geek Out backer and shipping: $239
Instant $1M update: $88
femto clock: $119
Geek S upgrade: $120
Slacker Mini: $10

Together: $576

Way over MSRP, so yea, expect a totally upgraded Geek Pulse S to be more them $499

The $499 MSRP was for the standard Pulse without upgrades. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #1,527 of 13,800
Will the ~$1,000 RETAIL version be distinguishable from the initial test batches that people backed for $299?

That would be nice, but we'll have to wait and see. I personally would love it if the backer versions had one component that will never be in a Pulse again, like the Silver gain relay array that Larry mentioned a while back or something. It's wishful thinking but we can dream can't we?

@Miceblue: I know you ordered an almost maxed out Pulse, you are proof of what the device is "worth" and what the market can bear. About $1,000. Now if we had the device pictured on the first page of this thread with no indicators, knobs, or buttons, and a minimum of inputs and outputs, then I would think you would be less willing to pay $1,000 for it. The reality is we are getting a product that is a far cry from the initial prototype.

This is weird for a crowd-funded device though. You can see the "hobbyist" nature of LH in that they were so receptive to adding and tweaking things. This feels more to me like a crowd hobby product than a mass-produced device like you would normally expect. I have enjoyed the whole process myself, even if my wallet is mad at me :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,528 of 13,800

That would be nice, but we'll have to wait and see. I personally would love it if the backer versions had one component that will never be in a Pulse again, like the Silver gain relay array that Larry mentioned a while back or something. It's wishful thinking but we can dream can't we?

@Miceblue: I know you ordered an almost maxed out Pulse, you are proof of what the device is "worth" and what the market can bear. About $1,000. Now if we had the device pictured on the first page of this thread with no indicators, knobs, or buttons, and a minimum of inputs and outputs, then I would think you would be less willing to pay $1,000 for it. The reality is we are getting a product that is a far cry from the initial prototype.

This is weird for a crowd-funded device though. You can see the "hobbyist" nature of LH in that they were so receptive to adding and tweaking things. This feels more to me like a crowd hobby product than a mass-produced device like you would normally expect. I have enjoyed the whole process myself, even if my wallet is mad at me :)

Yes, but 1) I ordered upgrades to make it $1000, the default Pulse was set to launch at $500; I would certainly not pay $1000 for any single device, 2) no one here knows what the Pulse sounds like except for Larry, so no one can accurately say "oh yes, of course it'll be worth $1000;" you all are just making wild assumptions that the stock unit's 100% price increase is somehow justified.

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,529 of 13,800
It (the price of a optioned-out version) is justified by you paying that much. We all justified it, even with no one hearing it. Did someone say the base Pulse would be $1,000? I read the earlier remark as being for the upgraded uber models most people seem to have bought. If I read that wrong and they meant the Base model is now $1k.... well that seems a little steep to me too.

It would be interesting to know how many people bought only 1 base model Pulse in the campaign, I wouln't be surprised that it's a small number, most people that I saw mention getting a base model were getting it as a 2nd unit.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,530 of 13,800
My guess is that they will come out with something similar to the original Pulse idea which was a GO with RCA outs. 0% frills and a very low price

The Pulse got frilly b it by bit as time went on. I do like all those frills though and looking at the competition it's not hard to imagine $1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back