Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Apr 2, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #1,471 of 13,800
I agree. It doesn't impact me personally to have it removed, but I know some people were really looking forward to using the SPDIF out. The issue I forsee is from the people who don't visit the forums or don't look at all of the threads and won't find out about it until much later.

I was just thinking that Gavin should post an update on the Indiegogo campaigns. It's kind of a big deal to exclude something that was going to be included as part of the stretch goals.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #1,472 of 13,800
It was just today Larry posted in the Geek forums for asking suggestions in lieu of the Spdif.

Think its to early for an IGG update?

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #1,473 of 13,800
LHLabs could do a simple update over at IGG with a link to a survey. The results should be pretty clear, what the backers want.
I for myself don't need the SPDIF out, but I know many liked it and it was a stretch goal.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,474 of 13,800
  LHLabs could do a simple update over at IGG with a link to a survey. The results should be pretty clear, what the backers want.
I for myself don't need the SPDIF out, but I know many liked it and it was a stretch goal.

This is a good idea. 

I will let the forum run for few days. Pick few smart ideas then let everybody vote. 

But one thing I want to emphasize here: I want to get rid of that SPDIF output because I want this DAC to have $3000+ level of performance. So every digital lines should have tight impedance control and minimize the length and potential jitter add-on there. 

Actually, one lazy little dark evil in my heart saying... Larry, put SPDIF output back. Your life will be easier... blah blah blah... I try very hard to ignore it. :wink:

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #1,477 of 13,800
Larry,

As one of the 1500ers, I've already posted on the "force" and like everyone else, I'm all for the sound quality so I say can the spdif out go all out to achieve the $3k+ level of performance that we all look forward to.  In addition to driving my HD650's, I'll also be using the XLR outputs to drive a couple of amps so I hope you can optimize the analog line outs.

Cheers!

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #1,478 of 13,800
Good riddance SPDIF out! 
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,481 of 13,800
so those who wanted the SPDIF out, how would it be used? to feed another DAC in the living room? computer desk? i guess my view on the geek pulse is that the DAC portion of the pulse will probably be kicka$$ since that's their specialty...if anything, i worry about the amp section. i would want good balanced outputs so that if the amp section leaves me wanting, i could mate it to a better amp. but i don't see the need for a SPDIF out, really. but i'm sure there are reasons for it and i'm sure people will tell me i'm wrong. won't be the first time.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,482 of 13,800
  so those who wanted the SPDIF out, how would it be used? to feed another DAC in the living room? computer desk? i guess my view on the geek pulse is that the DAC portion of the pulse will probably be kicka$$ since that's their specialty...if anything, i worry about the amp section. i would want good balanced outputs so that if the amp section leaves me wanting, i could mate it to a better amp. but i don't see the need for a SPDIF out, really. but i'm sure there are reasons for it and i'm sure people will tell me i'm wrong. won't be the first time.

No, you're right! ;p

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,483 of 13,800

My suggestion, and I hope this makes the voting that should be coming shortly, was for more power output. I'd love to see them double the output. Then we'd be getting 3W @ 32Ω which is a great plate to be. Sure it still won't be as powerful as something like the Mjolnir, but in the size bracket they're targeting the Pulse, I don't really see something as powerful as the Mjolnir working it's way in while maintaining audio integrity.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,484 of 13,800
  Larry,

As one of the 1500ers, I've already posted on the "force" and like everyone else, I'm all for the sound quality so I say can the spdif out go all out to achieve the $3k+ level of performance that we all look forward to.  In addition to driving my HD650's, I'll also be using the XLR outputs to drive a couple of amps so I hope you can optimize the analog line outs.

Cheers!

XLR analog output? You got it... The new output amp combo I tested sound so good.  JFET + Bipolar seems gave us the best results....

We test the Geek Pulse with $350,000+ equipments including Wilson, Vitus, Pass, Ayre, MIT, Cardas and tons of goodies... I really enjoy the process.

Larry

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #1,485 of 13,800
Larry,

You're da man!  I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to receiving the end product!  Planning to hook the GPX up to a couple of Hypex NC400s.  I look forward to a chance to meeting you and the team in Sacramento or at a hifi meet.   

Cheers!

Adrian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back