Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Apr 24, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #11,191 of 13,800
Wow positive, I'd say...

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #11,192 of 13,800
  Sorry to hear you are having issues as well.  My lid is very tight and I had to pull it up from the back.  Take your time it will lift out exposing the card slot.

I unfortunately have not been able to get the unit working and have for the first time found customer support somewhat lacking in both response time and helpfulness.  I was initially instructed to follow the re-flashing instructions on LH's website and I felt I had except what I wasn't clear on was that the mSD card you use must be formatted with FAT or FAT16.  The problem is FAT16 can only be used on cards 2gb or smaller.  The smallest card I could buy in my area was 4gb and though I selected the FAT16 Windows used FAT32.  At least that's what made sense to me at the time because I could still see all 4gb of space.  I then downloaded a 3rd party software (Active Partition Manager) to force a 2GB/FAT16 partition but that did't seem to work.  I was finally asked to repeat the process but to also re-flash the main firmware as well as the MCU ... and to disconnect the unit from the LPS and use the wall wart.  Just received a 2gb msd card earlier today from amazon ... repeated everything and still no luck.

Hey ... when you tip your unit towards the ceiling and then the floor do you hear a slide/clicking sound?  

I do.  Wonder what that is.

Cheers
Sam 

Rest In Paisley Prince

I tried flashing the MCU, but it didn't appear to do anything. When selecting firmware version to check, the display totally dies (though power still on), which was one of the original symptoms. Sending back for repair. Sorry to hear about the sliding/click sound. I don't hear that but it does seem like an undesirable mystery. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #11,193 of 13,800
Sorry to hear you are having issues as well. My lid is very tight and I had to pull it up from the back. Take your time it will lift out exposing the card slot.

I unfortunately have not been able to get the unit working and have for the first time found customer support somewhat lacking in both response time and helpfulness. I was initially instructed to follow the re-flashing instructions on LH's website and I felt I had except what I wasn't clear on was that the mSD card you use must be formatted with FAT or FAT16. The problem is FAT16 can only be used on cards 2gb or smaller. The smallest card I could buy in my area was 4gb and though I selected the FAT16 Windows used FAT32. At least that's what made sense to me at the time because I could still see all 4gb of space. I then downloaded a 3rd party software (Active Partition Manager) to force a 2GB/FAT16 partition but that did't seem to work. I was finally asked to repeat the process but to also re-flash the main firmware as well as the MCU ... and to disconnect the unit from the LPS and use the wall wart. Just received a 2gb msd card earlier today from amazon ... repeated everything and still no luck.

Hey ... when you tip your unit towards the ceiling and then the floor do you hear a slide/clicking sound?

I do. Wonder what that is.

Cheers
Sam

Rest In Paisley Prince

I tried flashing the MCU, but it didn't appear to do anything. When selecting firmware version to check, the display totally dies (though power still on), which was one of the original symptoms. Sending back for repair. Sorry to hear about the sliding/click sound. I don't hear that but it does seem like an undesirable mystery.

Guys don't bother flashing, I went through the same non-sense and the fat16 limitation is one of the most idiotic requirements ever seen in a 2013 and above firmware requirements. I guess they were trying to save themselves money when building the unit but without thinking about the support nightmare they were going to generate. Get them to have a look at the unit and flash the hell of it if they so choose.

As far as the tight cover, you can unscrew a few screws from the top, that will release the pressure on the plexiglass. Be careful when inserting the micro card since the slot is larger than the receptacle and you can easily drop it in the enclosure that is if you insist flashing the beast :D

This is one support strikes against them that will cost them and us major headaches and money when the unit will have issues.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #11,195 of 13,800
Well the INFINITY has finally died.

Started with a dodgy SPDIF 1 & 2, then with further testing I discovered that TOSLINK doesn't work.

This evening, it won't handshake and connect to my Mac despite power cycles / new USB cables.
Finally connected for a few seconds before randomly disconnecting.

The BLUE needs to go back, as the dodgy PCB assembly means the SPDIF only protrudes by 4mm (vs the 6mm for RCA) - meaning that cables don't connect properly.

Back to the GO1000 for a bit, and hoping to hear from Larry & Co, and that they'll cover the S&H for the SECOND RMA of this stuff.

Not impressed at all, and still have money tied up with GO V2, LPS 8, HPA and PULSE TUBE... 

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #11,197 of 13,800
Could be worse...I'm waiting for the fully tricked out Wave, Source, and Vi Tube Dac...came to my senses when the amps were being funded, a bit late, but better than nothing. :xf_eek:

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #11,198 of 13,800
Wonder what's the cause of all this.
Poor soldering, components or pcb boards ?

Well the INFINITY has finally died.

Started with a dodgy SPDIF 1 & 2, then with further testing I discovered that TOSLINK doesn't work.

This evening, it won't handshake and connect to my Mac despite power cycles / new USB cables.
Finally connected for a few seconds before randomly disconnecting.

The BLUE needs to go back, as the dodgy PCB assembly means the SPDIF only protrudes by 4mm (vs the 6mm for RCA) - meaning that cables don't connect properly.

Back to the GO1000 for a bit, and hoping to hear from Larry & Co, and that they'll cover the S&H for the SECOND RMA of this stuff.

Not impressed at all, and still have money tied up with GO V2, LPS 8, HPA and PULSE TUBE... 

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #11,201 of 13,800
Oy..., so sorry!

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #11,202 of 13,800
I am getting an Audio-gd Master 9. Will the Pulse have an issue with the amp shorting the output from the Pulse?

"Nowdays a lot high and middle range preamps, headphone amps and integrated amps had applied the input short design .
Without the input short design , if the amp connect to multi-ply sources and all source had playing , different sources will had the signal crossing cause the sound quality degrade .
For example, the input 1 connect to a DAC and the input 2 connect to a CDP, while both had playing, the CDP signal will crossing to the input 1 , mix with the DAC signal cause the sound degrade.
In world there are more than 99% DACs and the sources had allow the outputs short , if your DAC decalre can't short the output , please custom order the amp without input short , but in the case , while you connect multi-ply sources, you are better only let one power on and others power off for avoid the signal crossing ."

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-9/Master-9EN.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back