Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 9, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #10,366 of 13,800
No one to care ESSTECH remove ES9018AQ2M data from their website (both US and TW) & Released a New Mobile DAC chip ES9028?

ES9028 chip New refer:
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/news/newsroom/ess-premieres-new-es9028-sabre-mobile-dac-es9603-headphone-amplifier/

How interesting...AQ2M around for less than a year and now the 9028 comes out.  Dual-DAC...hmm...the same marketing talk can be applied to the AQ2M since that was a "dual-dac" too.  The 129dB DNR/-120dB THD+N looks exactly like the AQ2M specs.  The marketing game never ends...

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #10,367 of 13,800
Dec 9, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #10,368 of 13,800
I konw the DNR/-120dB THD+N spec same as both chip, but ESS still not released the detail (Package, Number of Pin foot, etc) of the new chip, if the New ES9028 not same as the ES9018AQ2M.
Now, all Pulse Infinity, GeekOut V2/V2+ maybe need to a new PCB design for a new chip And Geek Wave maybe got a big delay for this change~

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #10,369 of 13,800
I konw the DNR/-120dB THD+N spec same as both chip, but ESS still released the detail (Package, Number of Pin foot, etc) of the new chip, if the New ES9028 not same as the ES9018AQ2M.
Now, all Pulse Infinity, GeekOut V2/V2+ maybe need to a new PCB design for a new chip And Geek Wave maybe got a big delay for this change~

Not so sure they need to adopt this new ESS chip. Looking at the literature it seems as if this new version is focused on the mobile phone market, and if there are no better specs then why change? Cheers 

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #10,370 of 13,800
Having to power cycle the Pulse to initiate handshake is even more undesirable considering the deliberate design "feature" of not having a muting relay.  This means a potentially headphone/speaker-damaging POP every time you power cycle the Pulse...which is quite often in the case of those of us using laptops as sources.  Every other dac I've owned has simply required removal & reinsertion of the USB cable, never a power cycle.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #10,373 of 13,800
  Not so sure they need to adopt this new ESS chip. Looking at the literature it seems as if this new version is focused on the mobile phone market, and if there are no better specs then why change? Cheers 

Maybe a problem if, perhaps, the 9018AQ2M quantity needed for the Wave project were never actually ordered by LH Labs.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #10,374 of 13,800

Maybe a problem if, perhaps, the 9018AQ2M quantity needed for the Wave project were never actually ordered by LH Labs.

Good point. Let's hope not!

Any input Larry?

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #10,375 of 13,800
Pulse X∞ 700+ hour check-in.

I think that the Pulse has pretty much settled in. I can't say that there have been any noticeable changes in sound from the last report. Maybe the sound is subtly cleaner, maybe the bass is ever so slightly richer. At this point any differences are not that important, I am just enjoying listening to the music through this very nice DAC. Yes, still a clear improvement over the also very nice PS Audio NuWave DAC that the infinity has replaced. Now I have to figure out what to do with the NuWave. :)

The LightSpeed 2G USB cable has been moved from the NuWave to the infinity. In my system and to my ears, the 2G cable makes only a very small difference. With the 2G power leg plugged in to a USB hub that I have on top of my computer desk, I am not sure that I could tell the difference between the 1G and 2G cables. Unplugging the power leg makes only a very subtle difference. The imaging may be ever so slightly tigter, the sound may be ever so slightly cleaner, the background may be ever so slightly darker. I will have to spend some time doing some very critical listening to see if I can further define and clarify the differences... not exactly my favorite task - I prefer just listening to the music.

This actually speaks well for the USB input of the Pulse DAC. With the PS Audio NuWave DAC, unplugging the power leg of the 2G cable made a small but easily detectable difference - everything was slightly tighter, cleaner, darker. It didn't take any significant effort to hear the difference and I think that I might be able to tell which is which in a blind test. With the Pulse DAC, I have to listen carefully to hear any difference. For now, I'll keep the 2G on the Pulse. If I change a setup in another system and it clearly benefits from the 2G cable, then I will have to consider carefully where to employ the 2G. Then again, I have two of them - a 1M still in the box and the 2M in use in the computer workstation system, so there may not be a conflict. :)

J.P.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #10,376 of 13,800
That sounds great Wingsounds and I'm happy you are enjoying your Infinity now! I'm excited because I finally received a shipping notification
saying my S.E. unit is now in route,YAY !! This will be my first top tier desktop DAC and I'm crazy excited to hear how it will sound!! I have only
owned one headphone amp and it is the Vamp Verza. Yes it gave a good boost in volume, but the sound quality to me wasn't that hot. It gave a
loud muddy feeling to my music, but was indeed happy to have it! Any how. I just wanted to congratulate you for your happiness with LH Labs
and share my excitement as you can totally relate. Take care!!!

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #10,377 of 13,800
  That sounds great Wingsounds and I'm happy you are enjoying your Infinity now! I'm excited because I finally received a shipping notification
saying my S.E. unit is now in route,YAY !! This will be my first top tier desktop DAC and I'm crazy excited to hear how it will sound!! I have only
owned one headphone amp and it is the Vamp Verza. Yes it gave a good boost in volume, but the sound quality to me wasn't that hot. It gave a
loud muddy feeling to my music, but was indeed happy to have it! Any how. I just wanted to congratulate you for your happiness with LH Labs

Enjoy your SE! Just be sure to let it burn in (or energy-age) as it will take a while to settle into its best sound. That's been many of our experiences with the Infinity. Cheers 

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #10,378 of 13,800

You're in for a treat with the SE!
L3000.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #10,379 of 13,800
You guys are making me really want my Vi Tube dac...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back