Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Sep 13, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #9,196 of 13,800
  Anybody see the ad in the latest TAS issue with a picture of the new Sire DAC?  Sure is a sweet looking chassis!!

I just saw that yesterday. It looked more impressive than the parts I saw when I was there in July. Can't wait to hear one.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #9,197 of 13,800

If you still have it set up and have access to an Audiophilleo 1 or 2, I find that it tops any USB cable (I have the 10G working). 

I find that the 1G is actually a low end cable that is easily poorer than the 2G and the 10G. I find it to be devoid of body and bass. It makes things sound really thin. 

Would be really cool if you managed to try the test with an Audiophilleo or at least a better USB cable than the 1G. 

Thanks for your findings though. Really interesting stuff. 

So how do we get our hands on the mythical 2G cable which we have been promised since forever ... :frowning2:

I still find it hard to understand how, with the LHL triple buffer technology, all these regen stuff is helping, because the triple buffer is supposed to be able get rid of jitter to the point of irrelevance, right? Unless the LHL USB implementation and triple buffer is not all that good to begin with ...

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #9,198 of 13,800
So how do we get our hands on the mythical 2G cable which we have been promised since forever ... :frowning2:

I still find it hard to understand how, with the LHL triple buffer technology, all these regen stuff is helping, because the triple buffer is supposed to be able get rid of jitter to the point of irrelevance, right? Unless the LHL USB implementation and triple buffer is not all that good to begin with ...

Or it could just be the placebo effect.
Can't rule out that possibility without a double blind test.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #9,199 of 13,800
How can you tell if it is an old chip or not? I thought Casey said the Infinity were all aq2m chips?

Also I seem to recall that Larry felt the new chip sounded warmer?

Yeah I'm not sure how to tell if it's the old or new DAC chip. I was under the impression all X Infinity units had the new one as well, so I found that kind of strange when it was mentioned.

If you still have it set up and have access to an Audiophilleo 1 or 2, I find that it tops any USB cable (I have the 10G working). 

I find that the 1G is actually a low end cable that is easily poorer than the 2G and the 10G. I find it to be devoid of body and bass. It makes things sound really thin. 

Would be really cool if you managed to try the test with an Audiophilleo or at least a better USB cable than the 1G. 

Thanks for your findings though. Really interesting stuff. 

I don't have the setup right now since the iPad transport and Supra cable weren't mine, but the owner lives close enough that we may have another go at it. My schedule is pretty cramped though.

I thought the 1G sounded pretty poor against the 10G myself, until I tried that test and now I may just be having it all in my head, maybe. XD
Very few people, actually I don't think I've seen a single person, around here do such tests, so it was interesting for me to do it myself.

I haven't heard the Audiophilleo before, nor seen one in person. The owner of the Supra owns an UpTone Regen, and a few people in the meet yesterday agreed that that Regen does have a noticeable difference when put into the audio chain. From what I recall during yesterday's discussion, the Regen does impedance matching such that it minimises the effects of poor-tolerance USB cables by reclocking and regenerating the signal to the proper USB specifications (90-ohms).

I have no idea what Light Harmonic's "3L Buffer" does.
Oh, I just found a bit of information about what the 3L buffer might be.
http://www.lightharmonic.com/davinci.html
Precision Timing
In digital signal conversion, timing is everything! To ensure computer speed fluctuations would not influence Da Vinci, and that it would run at a constant speed, Light Harmonic developed a proprietary (and patent-pending) Three-Layer Buffer similar to the buffering technology many of today's high-speed computers employ. This is the first time such a design has been applied to audio.

I had no idea that was in the Geek Out.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #9,200 of 13,800
Sold the Pulse Fi and replaced it with an XFI, having heard what the Fi was capable of. Pretty pleased with the dual mono upgrade so far.

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #9,202 of 13,800
Black sound, I hope to get my Pulse X∞ a bit before you do as my first Pulse DAC contribution was in the first campaign on Dec. 21, 2013, about 11 months before yours. You talk about waiting for infinity?? :D I have only been waiting about 21 months. Yes, I too chose the 2.0 chassis and could have had my infinity for a while now if I had chosen the old (1.0) chassis. I accept that this is a choice that has made me wait a while longer to receive my Pulse.

J.P.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #9,203 of 13,800
I meant to say i ordered the lps4 last Nov. That's what happen when you (i) edit too much - the meaning get lost. I had been waiting for it to arrive all day, so i was a bit tired. My Infinity was order late Oct. 2013 i think, but i have some tempoary hearing loss (hopefully tempoary) ,so i can easily wait!

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #9,204 of 13,800
Black sound, I hope to get my Pulse X∞ a bit before you do as my first Pulse DC contribution was in the first campaign on Dec. 21, 2013, about 11 months before yours. You talk about waiting for infinity??
biggrin.gif
I have only been waiting about 21 months. Yes, I too chose the 2.0 chassis and could have had my infinity for a while now if I had chosen the old (1.0) chassis. I accept that this is a choice that has made me wait a while longer to receive my Pulse.

J.P.

Right there with you J.P.!  Nov 4, 2013 for me.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #9,205 of 13,800
They should be shipping now so we should be receiving them soon. I inquired at the end of July and they said mine would ship at the end of this month or early October.  Quite frankly I don't think they should release new products until they have satisfied old orders. This invariably has delayed the building and shipment of this DAC. As I purchased another DAC, I will be selling it as soon as I receive it. 
mad.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #9,206 of 13,800
  They should be shipping now so we should be receiving them soon. I inquired at the end of July and they said mine would ship at the end of this month or early October.  Quite frankly I don't think they should release new products until they have satisfied old orders. This invariably has delayed the building and shipment of this DAC. As I purchased another DAC, I will be selling it as soon as I receive it. 
mad.gif

Out of curiosity, which DAC did you buy in the interim?  I'm asking mainly because you may be surprised by the Pulse once you receive it and give it a chance.  You may not want to sell it!

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #9,210 of 13,800
Well, I want to sell it in an unopened box so it is brand new.

Honestly, I think considering some of the QC issues with the Pulse, you'd be better off opening and testing it so you can sell as a known good unit. The warranty isn't transferable, so if you're unlucky enough to get one of the dodgy ones you could send it back, whilst your buyer would be SOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back