Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 27, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #7,546 of 13,800
  Yeah, my post after yours was deleted as well.  Oh well, all part of the "everything is awesome" message LH like to maintain 
rolleyes.gif

Was curious what got deleted? Don't think they can edit here. 
wink_face.gif

May 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #7,547 of 13,800
On the topic of Pulses can somebody who has backed the new AQM upgrade and received or are about to receive their infinity tell me what the catalog number or sku is called On their shipping confirmation?

I received my Infinity a while back and the item # is LH-GP-GPX-INF-001. I did back the A2QM perk, but there is no way of knowing what I received has the A2QM chip, aside from opening the case. I do believe that all Infinities now have the A2QM, but this is just speculation on my part.

May 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #7,548 of 13,800

Yeah, my post after yours was deleted as well.  Oh well, all part of the "everything is awesome" message LH like to maintain :rolleyes: .

Was curious what got deleted? Don't think they can edit here. :wink_face:  

They were pretty innocuous comments about how we'd both wished we'd been updated sooner about the progress of the new chassis so we could, you know, actually make an informed choice on an LH product for once.

May 27, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #7,549 of 13,800
They were pretty innocuous comments about how we'd both wished we'd been updated sooner about the progress of the new chassis so we could, you know, actually make an informed choice on an LH product for once.

Fair point!

May 27, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #7,550 of 13,800
Can someone please help me clear this mess up for me:
All i know is there was a kickstarter campaign for the Geek Pulse , and that there were a lot of delays related to shipping it.

1.Someone here mentioned a lot of people are trying to get rid of them , my question is why? don't they sound good?

2. Is there a way to purchase one new?

3. Is it a big step up from Geek Out(and Geek Out V2)?

Thanks, sorry for the many questions , i have read several pages of this thread but that only got me more confused... 
smily_headphones1.gif

All i'm looking for is an upgrade from my Geek Out,, a one box solution(DAC+amp) for my HD800, that's still on a nice budget, so the Geek Pulse seems perfect at 300$ (if i can get one at that price)

May 27, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #7,551 of 13,800

Oh, that came across wrong. I'll be keeping the Infinity, but I'll be glad to be out of the LH Labs madness. Next time I'll buy a finished product and steer clear of crowd funding. Too much pain, though I've got to admit, I may have got myself a bargain!

On this I can definitely agree. Although I'm very happy about the product, I'm not too happy about the company itself.

Can someone please help me clear this mess up for me:
All i know is there was a kickstarter campaign for the Geek Pulse , and that there were a lot of delays related to shipping it.

1.Someone here mentioned a lot of people are trying to get rid of them , my question is why? don't they sound good?

2. Is there a way to purchase one new?

3. Is it a big step up from Geek Out(and Geek Out V2)?

Thanks, sorry for the many questions , i have read several pages of this thread but that only got me more confused... 
smily_headphones1.gif

All i'm looking for is an upgrade from my Geek Out,, a one box solution(DAC+amp) for my HD800, that's still on a nice budget, so the Geek Pulse seems perfect at 300$ (if i can get one at that price)

1. A lot of people got tired of waiting for them and got a different unit instead.

2. Most likely from one of the people that just received it. If you want it directly from LHLabs, you'll have to wait for them to complete the shipping of all the pre-orders and it'll be a thousand dollars.

3. The vanilla? I don't know. I've heard people saying the V2 sounded better than the vanilla pulse. I kind of doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised people would be so impressed by the v2 that they would say something like that. The X or Xfi, I'd highly doubt that, since these models are dual mono all the way and this makes a really big difference in sound quality.

May 27, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #7,552 of 13,800

On this I can definitely agree. Although I'm very happy about the product, I'm not too happy about the company itself.

1. A lot of people got tired of waiting for them and got a different unit instead.

2. Most likely from one of the people that just received it. If you want it directly from LHLabs, you'll have to wait for them to complete the shipping of all the pre-orders and it'll be a thousand dollars.

3. The vanilla? I don't know. I've heard people saying the V2 sounded better than the vanilla pulse. I kind of doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised people would be so impressed by the v2 that they would say something like that. The X or Xfi, I'd highly doubt that, since these models are dual mono all the way and this makes a really big difference in sound quality.

I can confirm (having had both) that the XFi is significantly better than the "Vanilla" Pulse. 

I don't have a Geek Out v2 (I only have the V1) but if I was in your position I'd get a Geek Out v2 because there's the option of a balanced connection (albeit with a converter to TRRS). It's also portable and flexible so it's a handy little unit. If I was to buy a desktop unit, I'd get an X or XFi. 

The advantage of the Pulse is extra power though. 

May 27, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #7,553 of 13,800
I have to echo what is said above. I will preface my comments with the fact that I do not have any LH Labs DAC yet - still waiting to receive a Pulse X∞ (aq2m, new chassis).

There will be a wait for a base Pulse or a Geek Out V2 or V2+. At this time, new orders for the V2 will be received late December. It is hard to tell when a new order for the V2+ will be delivered, but it appears to be considerably earlier than the V2, possibly as early as August December. I have no idea when a newly ordered Pulse might arrive, but you can probably find an old one for sale for not much more than the $300 campaign price.

I would not be surprised if the V2 or V2+ comes close to the sound quality of the base Pulse and possibly even exceed it if you have a balanced cable for your headphones. This is after all the second generation of an already good product, built on lessons learned from the Pulse design and development. The V2 is using the latest Sabre DAC chip and has balanced architecture all the way to the output.

All that said, I would be strongly tempted to go with the Geek Out V2+ and that is my recommendation. The price is good, the performance is likely to be excellent, the + version has the advantage of being usable with a phone and may deliver around August December if you order soon. It is also cheaper than you are likely to find a used Pulse for a while.

J.P.

May 28, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #7,555 of 13,800
The Pulse uses MELF resistors. Most people probably don't even know what they are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MELF_electronic_components
Metal electrode leadless face (MELF) is a type of leadless cylindrical electronic surface mount device that is metallized at its ends.
Because of their cylindrical shape and small size, in some cases these components can easily roll off the workbench or circuit board before they have been soldered into place. As such, there is a joke which suggests an alternate meaning for the acronym, MELF: most end up lying on the floor. Additionally, MELF components are sometimes called a "roll away" package.
Despite their handling difficulties, and in the particular case of MELF resistors, they are still widely used in high-reliability and precision applications where their superior characteristics (e.g., low failure rate with well-defined failure modes) as well as their higher performance in terms of accuracy, long-term stability, moisture resistance, high-temperature operation far outweigh their disadvantages.

Here's the Aune B1 portable headphone amplifier, which also uses a Class A amplification bias (through discrete parts, no integrated circuit chips/op-amps, and it too uses MELF resistors.

That looks pretty difficult to solder, and I'm sure the Pulse uses a whole lot more of them. >.>

May 28, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #7,556 of 13,800
On a positive note... It looks like my twice RMA'd Xfi has finally been successfully repaired.  I had issues with significant loud bursts of electronic sounds or static when switching between files with different sample rates.  FTM mode was also unusable - constant loud electronic static.  I still experience a very brief, faint sound when switching sample rates but nothing that concerns me.  And FTM mode works like a champ.  And after a week of almost constant use no new problems have occurred.  The best part - I'm very pleased with the SQ, especially paired with my HD800's.  Finally found a pairing that makes them sound "musical" rather than "analytical".  Very non-fatiguing.  LH seems to have tamed the worst aspects of the Sabre chips (digital glare, etc.).  I admit that I initially thought that the Xfi was somewhat too bland and polite sounding.  But whether it's due to "burn-in" or simply my acclimating to the sound signature, I find the sound very balanced, good timbre and a nice enveloping sound stage (though there may be more width than depth).  Hopefully this guy will keep functioning for me - I think it's a keeper.  I would urge those that are frustrated with the long wait times and already have plans to sell their Pulses to hold on and give it a chance - you may be surprised.  Personally, I can't wait to hear the headphone amps when they're finally released.  I'll be patient.

May 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #7,557 of 13,800
Though some of us don't live in the US of A, and LH should have better QC and ensure these items go out the door faultless.

May 28, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #7,560 of 13,800

Its good to hear this, because the initial reports of the vanilla Pulse were underwhelming to say the least. And the Infinity should be better again.

I think the "underwhelming" nature of the feedback could be tied in with the touted $999 MSRP for them. For the $399 price on IGG, I thought that they were fantastic.

The closest competitor is probably the Resonessence Labs Concero HP, which has a similar MSRP but will usually cost more in the second hand market. 

The Pulse has more power and in my opinion sounds noticeably better. It's a decent sounding, handy all in one.

As a single ended DAC going to a superior amp, it sounds EVEN better. Completely blows the Concero HP out of the water. 

Compared to a Geek Out V1, it's far more polished and also clearly superior. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back