Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Apr 26, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #1,593 of 13,800
Update: Femto in FFT graph.

1. Larry Ho
  2. Moderator
  3. Moderator-icon.png
  4. OFFLINE
  5. Karma: 42  
Finish few good tests for Femto. In FFT graph, it looks AMAZING!

Now this weekend, time for listening... 
cool.png

Gosh, I would really love to let you guys hear it ASAP.

Larry

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,595 of 13,800
I wonder what Larry likes to listen to when he evaluates this stuff? Has anyone asked him in the LH forum?

Larry likes a lot of stuff.  Look at his Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/larry.ho.heyuan/music

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #1,597 of 13,800
As a following on the last update about the Femtos, Larry H. did had some listening during the weekend on the Pulse and Pulse X with Femtos.

And here is his response from the GF Forum,

1. Larry Ho
  2. Moderator
  3. Moderator-icon.png
  4. OFFLINE
I took a lot of time 'resting' by listening to the new Femto clock.
So nice that I forget I need to do the A/B test for around two hours.
Just keep switching tracks to tracks, albums to albums....
I hate that I need to stop myself for turning myself back to 'working' mode.

So here is what I got. Sorry, I'm not professional reviewer and short of punching words. I just wrote what I hear directly.

<Femto Clocks in Geek Pulse X>
1. It adds the final touch of the sweet and natural mid range that I tried to get. For dual mono, full balanced circuit, the sound stage and accuracy will never be a problem if properly designed. With Femto clocks there, finally we have a natural mid range and sweet vocal there. A lovely surprise.

2. Back ground is definitely darker. But not in the silence middle of the notes, it is within the few mini seconds right after the music notes. It's subtle in the beginning, but you could hear that in few minutes. Every notes seems could stop when it should stop, no further then that...

<A/B Test for With and Without Femto>

The major differences are
1. High frequency transicient and smoothness. This is the most talked-about and easy to tell... If you love violin or guitar like me, bingo!
2. Again, darker background.
3. The coherence of music really gets to another level.

Sound stage is still nice and wide and deep, with or without Femto. Or should I said, improvement is subtle.
Also, I need to check Femto with Geek Pulse S in next few days to see how it goes.

I know, I got lucky. I could hear this good device before you guys. But I work hard for this one too... Right? 
wink.png

For the rest or good descriptions, I would rather to let you guys write it when you hear it.

Next step: I think I would give some different configuration for Amplification Stage for the DAC with Femto clocks.
It should has more potential. I just need to dig it out. Also, maybe LPF need to fine tuned the corner frequency up a little bit.

When we settle the first version. I think following the schedule, we should have few nice Beta units sent out for Geek Force next month.

Larry

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,598 of 13,800
  As a following on the last update about the Femtos, Larry H. did had some listening during the weekend on the Pulse and Pulse X with Femtos.

And here is his response from the GF Forum,

1. Larry Ho
  2. Moderator
  3. Moderator-icon.png
  4. OFFLINE
I took a lot of time 'resting' by listening to the new Femto clock.
So nice that I forget I need to do the A/B test for around two hours.
Just keep switching tracks to tracks, albums to albums....
I hate that I need to stop myself for turning myself back to 'working' mode.

So here is what I got. Sorry, I'm not professional reviewer and short of punching words. I just wrote what I hear directly.

<Femto Clocks in Geek Pulse X>
1. It adds the final touch of the sweet and natural mid range that I tried to get. For dual mono, full balanced circuit, the sound stage and accuracy will never be a problem if properly designed. With Femto clocks there, finally we have a natural mid range and sweet vocal there. A lovely surprise.

2. Back ground is definitely darker. But not in the silence middle of the notes, it is within the few mini seconds right after the music notes. It's subtle in the beginning, but you could hear that in few minutes. Every notes seems could stop when it should stop, no further then that...

<A/B Test for With and Without Femto>

The major differences are
1. High frequency transicient and smoothness. This is the most talked-about and easy to tell... If you love violin or guitar like me, bingo!
2. Again, darker background.
3. The coherence of music really gets to another level.

Sound stage is still nice and wide and deep, with or without Femto. Or should I said, improvement is subtle.
Also, I need to check Femto with Geek Pulse S in next few days to see how it goes.

I know, I got lucky. I could hear this good device before you guys. But I work hard for this one too... Right? 
wink.png

For the rest or good descriptions, I would rather to let you guys write it when you hear it.

Next step: I think I would give some different configuration for Amplification Stage for the DAC with Femto clocks.
It should has more potential. I just need to dig it out. Also, maybe LPF need to fine tuned the corner frequency up a little bit.

When we settle the first version. I think following the schedule, we should have few nice Beta units sent out for Geek Force next month.

Larry

Thanks. I am not sure if this makes sense but would really like to see a similar comparison done with Pusle X and Pulse S...both with Femto upgrade. I no longer have balance headphones and all of the other headphones I am currently looking at for a future purchase are single-ended (HE-400, Fostex TH-600)

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,599 of 13,800
In due time Bro....And its not Beta yet.

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,601 of 13,800
  So just wondering, if one were to buy the Geek pulse X instead of the S, does that mean if you ever wanted to use a separate amp you would have to use a balanced amp?

not sure exactly what you're asking. are you asking if you want to attach another amp to the pulse x, would that amp have to be balanced? the answer is no. i believe the pulse x will have both balanced and single-ended outputs, so you can attach a SE amp to the pulse x.

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,602 of 13,800
  not sure exactly what you're asking. are you asking if you want to attach another amp to the pulse x, would that amp have to be balanced? the answer is no. i believe the pulse x will have both balanced and single-ended outputs, so you can attach a SE amp to the pulse x.

Yeah, what I was asking is if I use the pulse X as a standalone DAC, would the separate amp have to be balanced as well? 

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,603 of 13,800

Yeah, what I was asking is if I use the pulse X as a standalone DAC, would the separate amp have to be balanced as well? 

The Pulse X has both balanced 3-pin XLR and stereo RCA outputs. Both of those will be balanced outputs but you can still connect to a non-balanced amp and get great sound. A balanced amp will pair a little better since it will maintain the separation throughout, but if you want to use it with a non-balanced headphone amp it'll still work.

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,604 of 13,800

The Pulse X has both balanced 3-pin XLR and stereo RCA outputs. Both of those will be balanced outputs but you can still connect to a non-balanced amp and get great sound. A balanced amp will pair a little better since it will maintain the separation throughout, but if you want to use it with a non-balanced headphone amp it'll still work.

Oh, one more thing. I was checking out the indiegogo site and I noticed that the Geek pulse X has 1/4 headphone jack. I thought that the X only had the 4 pin jack. Is this and update or something and does it mean that you don't need a balanced cable to use the X

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,605 of 13,800

Oh, one more thing. I was checking out the indiegogo site and I noticed that the Geek pulse X has 1/4 headphone jack. I thought that the X only had the 4 pin jack. Is this and update or something and does it mean that you don't need a balanced cable to use the X

They added a 1/4" output near the end of the first IGG campaign, so Pulse X users get both. One thing to note is that the 1/4" has 3.5 Vrms output where the 4-pin XLR has 7. You certainly won't need a balanced headphone to use the X, but the power difference could have a small impact on your experience. But it certainly won't be a drastic change between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back