Gears of War (finally a Halo killer?)
Aug 23, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #16 of 33
That is one HECK OF A GAME :
blink.gif

It's hard to imagine what an equivalent PC system to be able to handle that level of gfx...

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #17 of 33
Every time I browse through the latest media I tell myself that it's going to be awesome - but my stomach keeps reminding me of how OXM trumped up Brute Force as a Halo killer.

It's best in my opinion not to get your hopes up. I know that sounds pessimistic, but with video games you never really know until they're released and the legions of online/print reviewers can take it apart.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Just downloaded the demo, looks pretty kewl but it will have to do better than this to top GoW IMO.

I was very dissapointed in that demo. The whole snow thing was cool, but then the fighting began - average shoot a gob lobe load of alien bug things game play. I was bored to tears after the first five minutes.

I have been watching the GOW trailers for a couple weeks now, and I am excited. The slew of new third person shooters is enticing since, to me at least, fps's are kind of played out.

The last FPS I played was Prey, which reminded me of Quake with crazy gravity portals - big whoopty do.

And so I dont' start yet another 360 thread...how good is Saint's Row? I'm 35 hours in and still lovin' it. Like GTA, but with all the repetive task stuff taken out...great, entertaining game.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
I was very dissapointed in that demo. The whole snow thing was cool, but then the fighting began - average shoot a gob lobe load of alien bug things game play. I was bored to tears after the first five minutes.

I have been watching the GOW trailers for a couple weeks now, and I am excited. The slew of new third person shooters is enticing since, to me at least, fps's are kind of played out.

The last FPS I played was Prey, which reminded me of Quake with crazy gravity portals - big whoopty do.

And so I dont' start yet another 360 thread...how good is Saint's Row? I'm 35 hours in and still lovin' it. Like GTA, but with all the repetive task stuff taken out...great, entertaining game.

Yeah, Saints Row is good. Two words...map waypoints! Actually, a few more, no load times, good graphics, and an excellent shooting setup.

Grandtheft what?

On the other hand, GTA has bikes, planes and heli's and a better soundtrack.

I much prefer Saints Row.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 33
Whats all the hype about Gears of War? It looks......subpar. Doesnt even come close to HL2/FEAR graphic levels. I hope it does kill halo, I can't stand halo.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue
Whats all the hype about Gears of War? It looks......subpar.

It's funny how graphic quality is subjective like musical preference. I think the GOW stuff looks great, and I played HLII and Fear - two games I love.

You know why the all hype:

A. Microsoft is publishing and blitzing it
B. The press is behind it.
C. Unreal III engine
D. "Emergence Day" is the day after the PS3 (supposed) launch...etc etc etc

Someone must think it's good. The proof will be in the pudding so to speak.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue
Doesnt even come close to HL2/FEAR graphic levels.

LOL! It rapes both of them in graphic levels! It uses the unreal engine 3:
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html...ogy/ue30.shtml

I dont know about you console gamers, but here on the PC, there have been many halo killers released. Namely, UT2004 and FEAR online.

I personally can not wait until UT2007 comes out. have you seen any of the screenshots or video clips of it? It looks AMAZING!

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #23 of 33
I'm really looking forward to GoW, but lets not forget about Mass Effect, Bioshock and Army of Two as new original games that look smokin'.

Put F.E.A.R., CoD3, Brother in Arms and the super duper HL2 compilation with those and its looking to be a good time to be gaming on the 360.

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Halo 2 was dissapointing? I like when one person doesn't like something, that means it was a universal flop.
wink.gif

In this house, Halo 2 was a big hit, only suffered what most modern games suffer, that it was too short.

Agreed. Halo 2 was amazing. It fully supplanted the original Halo, and bettered almost everything about it. I miss the pistol and Hang 'Em High like fat kid misses candy, though. It was definitely way too short, also. The last game I played that I thought was long enough to satisfy me was Final Fantasy VIII.

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
LOL! It rapes both of them in graphic levels! It uses the unreal engine 3:
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html...ogy/ue30.shtml

I dont know about you console gamers, but here on the PC, there have been many halo killers released. Namely, UT2004 and FEAR online.

I personally can not wait until UT2007 comes out. have you seen any of the screenshots or video clips of it? It looks AMAZING!

Despite the large amount of similarity, I consider PC gaming vs console game an apples to oranges thing. Consoles are generally intended specifically (and almost solely) for the purpose of gaming; they're literally plug and play, and don't serve another purpose. They're easy to figure out, and can be done at the drop of the hat, like taking board games or cards. PC gaming is much, much more of a tweaker and dorky thing. You usually have to be serious about gaming to do it. I know tons of people I wouldn't describe as dorks at all who play Halo 2, but I couldn't say the same for Counter-Strike.

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #26 of 33
New gameplay footage up at Gamespot. This game looks like it's going to kick some searious ass!

Oct 12, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #27 of 33
I swear I'm one of the 6 people that got bored playing both halo, AND halo 2. I attempted both single player and co-op, and got so bored halfway through I just stopped playing. I only finished the first one because it came out for the PC and took 4 hours to blow through. Honestly I thought the weapons (especially in 2) were uninspired, the level design was bland and the pacing was sub-par. The AI was nowhere near where its PC compadres were, and its only saving grace was a fun MP. 2 TVs and 2 xboxs are easier to setup than 8 computers, thats for sure.

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Please tell me GoW will suck so my husband won't want to get an Xbox 360?
wink.gif

its just another XBOX 360 game like Dead or Alive 4 or Madden 2007...

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Halo 2 was dissapointing? I like when one person doesn't like something, that means it was a universal flop.
wink.gif

In this house, Halo 2 was a big hit, only suffered what most modern games suffer, that it was too short.

I believe it was a "universal flop" because many of the Halo gamers disliked it because it wasn't the same Halo they were used to, not because of the actual single player game. A buddy of mine had it, and I liked it pretty well, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back