Gears of War (finally a Halo killer?)
Aug 21, 2006 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
Since the first Halo their have been many anticipated games that were expected to be "Halo killers" but none have delivered and after the disappointing Halo 2 most are still waiting (in the console world anyways).

Gears of War is getting a lot of hype and what I have seen looks promising but I've felt that way before! You can see the official trailer here and other clips here.

Any thoughts? I pre-ordered my copy last week along with the new Rainbow Six: Las Vegas.

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 33
Gears of War definitely does look quite sick. I wasn't a huge fan of Halo to begin with and always questioned as to why it got so much hype. I felt that the single player mode was boring and the multiplayer mode far from revolutionary or entertaining. I've been reading great things about Gears Of War and would probably get it if I didn't hate XBox.

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 33
Gear of Wars is the only reason i'm buying the xbox360. However, I'm waiting for that damn premium package from MS to start shipping. I'm talking about the one w/ the premium system, Project Gotham Racing, 3 Months of xbox live gold, and 1200 markplace points, all in one package for $399! Canada got it, and I think Mexico got the same package too.

I couldn't care less for the HD-DVD VS Blue-Ray format war, it's a lossing battle either way, just look at SACD/DVD-Audio. I'm most likely to buy xbox360 and the Wii.

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Gear of Wars is the only reason i'm buying the xbox360. However, I'm waiting for that damn premium package from MS to start shipping. I'm talking about the one w/ the premium system, Project Gotham Racing, 3 Months of xbox live gold, and 1200 markplace points, all in one package for $399! Canada got it, and I think Mexico got the same package too.

Yeah here in Canada, future shop has that bundle for $499 I believe...although I'm gonna pick up mine from Costco...premium 360, play and charge kit, and an extra wireless controller for $549...plus I wouldn't need to buy an extended warranty because Costco has it covered. Gears of War does look like a sweet title though, I'll probably end up picking it up...

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 33
Halo 2 was dissapointing? I like when one person doesn't like something, that means it was a universal flop.
wink.gif

In this house, Halo 2 was a big hit, only suffered what most modern games suffer, that it was too short.

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Halo 2 was dissapointing? I like when one person doesn't like something, that means it was a universal flop.
wink.gif

In this house, Halo 2 was a big hit, only suffered what most modern games suffer, that it was too short.

I'm actually in the minority that liked Halo 2. My few complaints were that it was too short, I did not want to play as the Arbitor (but it was fun gameplay... just wanted to be the "hero" through the whole thing), and there were parts of the game in the 9 minute trailer that were never in the final cut.

edit * I also did not like the amount of time spent in vehicles.
Halo 3 will probably move the bar pretty high but that will be a long wait so for now it's all about Gears of War!

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 33
Halo 2 was the reason I finally broke down and bought an xbox (used). I still prefer Halo CE on my Mac (mainly due to the mouse/keyboard), but Halo 2 wasn't as bad as some claim. The ending was definitely a disappointment, though.

I'll probably end up getting a 360, just for Halo 3. GOW is also looking pretty good, but there's just something about the Halo storyline that's got me hooked...

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I'm actually in the minority that liked Halo 2. My few complaints were that it was too short, I did not want to play as the Arbitor (but it was fun gameplay... just wanted to be the "hero" through the whole thing), and there were parts of the game in the 9 minute trailer that were never in the final cut.

edit * I also did not like the amount of time spent in vehicles.
Halo 3 will probably move the bar pretty high but that will be a long wait so for now it's all about Gears of War!

Please tell me GoW will suck so my husband won't want to get an Xbox 360?
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Please tell me GoW will suck so my husband won't want to get an Xbox 360?
wink.gif

Well, I just watched the trailer and game footage... It's going to totally suck.

I mean, yeah, take away the interesting storyline, great graphics, good game engine, multi-player, etc. In the end, it's just another shooter. Aren't they all the same?

Yeah, that's it... It's all just hype. Yeah... hype...

If I keep telling myself this, I may be able to hold off getting the 360 for another year or two... maybe
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I'm more excited about Lost Planet.

-Ed

Just downloaded the demo, looks pretty kewl but it will have to do better than this to top GoW IMO.

Plainsong - sorry, I tried to resist myself but with the PS3 at $600 and Halo 3 on the 360 I could not help myself
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 33
He's going to want this then... sigh, well, can't be stingy, since I do have sunglasses, gear, bags, musical instruments. I have nothing to say about anything if he wants an Xbox 360.

This is a guy that can play every FPS he gets to the end, and no matter how similar they are, appreciates the little nuances and differences, almost like it's headphones or something.
wink.gif

Me? I hardly ever play, but when I do it's about the racing and driving sims, and RPGs.

/re-does next month's budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back