Gearheads: Would you recommend a torque wrench?
Oct 15, 2009 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
I just received a front strut brace and a new rear sway bar for my car. Going through the instructions, both call for the use of a torque wrench.

I've used them a couple of times over the years and the installation looks pretty straightforward, but I want to buy a good quality one because I only buy good tools and intend to use it a bit in the future.

Right now, I'd spend up to $100, but will spend more for good quality. Spending less wouldn't be so bad, either.

Can anyone recommend a good brand or model and let me know where to pick one up? I'd prefer to buy locally so I can install them this weekend, but am willing to buy online for a good deal and/or an excellent model that's not available at Napa/PepBoys/etc. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 11
I would definitely recommend using a torque wrench for suspension parts. I'm pretty sure that lots of the torque wrenches on the market come from the same manufacturers, with different labels slapped on the boxes. I would just be sure that the torque wrench is certified as accurate within +/- 2%, and that it's a ratcheting type as opposed to a beam type. And always make sure that you store the wrench with the tension unloaded so you don't wear out the spring(s) prematurely.

The price of whatever you buy will probably vary based on whether you need a 3/8" or 1/2" drive, and also on the maximum torque value. I have a very good 3/8" drive that I use for braking components, wheel bolts, etc. rated at 80 lb ft / 110 N m. I will have to pick up a larger, heavier duty one soon since the torque spec for the wheel nuts on my new car is 120 N m, and I should be able to find what I need locally for about 50€ (the other one was only about 35€).

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 11
A torque wrench is always a good a idea but not necessary in some circumstances. With general bolts and fasteners like suspension parts, I typically don't use a torque wrench. Where I would use a torque wrench is when I'm assembling critical engine parts like head bolts and rocker arm nuts. I would say most professional shops also use torque wrenches in the manner I do. I know this as I've been around the industry with a friend who used to own his own repair shop.

For motorcycles it is absolutely critical you use a torque wrench because of the softer, thinner materials used.

If you get a torque wrench which is the non beam type that you dial in the torque setting from the handle, you MUST dial down the torque setting when you're done for storage. Also NEVER drop these types of tools. Failure to do either will result in your torque wrench being thrown out of calibration.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zx10guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A torque wrench is always a good a idea but not necessary in some circumstances. With general bolts and fasteners like suspension parts, I typically don't use a torque wrench. Where I would use a torque wrench is when I'm assembling critical engine parts like head bolts and rocker arm nuts. I would say most professional shops also use torque wrenches in the manner I do. I know this as I've been around the industry with a friend who used to own his own repair shop.

I agree with you about this...lower torque values tend to be both more critical and harder to gauge by "feel". That said, given that the OP is asking about this, he might very well feel more comfortable using one in any case; after all, there's no harm. I would personally recommend getting different torque wrenches for different torque ranges; i.e. for the stated budget, stay away from anything that claims to be accurate from 10 in/lb to 100 ft/lb.

As far as brand is concerned, Snap-on is what the pros use, but Craftsman or equivalent should be just fine for weekend warrior use (that's practically all I own). Harbor Freight has some good deals, but sometimes you get what you pay for (caveat emptor).

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 11
If you are a shadetree mechanic wait for a sale at sears and get the digital Craftsman one. Usually they go on sale around $60 or so (list around $100) and like all Craftsman tools it has a lifetime warranty.

If your are a professional mechanic lay down the big bucks for a Snap On, and get it calibrated at least 1 time each year, your Snap On guy should offer the service free, most places charge $60+ for the service.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 11
I have 2 that I would recommend - both Craftsman 1/2 inch and 3/8ths. Just watch the movie 'My cousin Vinnie' and get to the Mellisa Tomei bitin the court room . They are 'balls on accurate'!
Mind your knuckles there Eric
Sceptre

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zx10guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For motorcycles it is absolutely critical you use a torque wrench because of the softer, thinner materials used.

If you get a torque wrench which is the non beam type that you dial in the torque setting from the handle, you MUST dial down the torque setting when you're done for storage. Also NEVER drop these types of tools. Failure to do either will result in your torque wrench being thrown out of calibration.

+1 for everything he said. You should buy a nice torque wrench just to have it around,you'll have another use for it someday. Proper torque is probably not that critical for a sway bar, but if you plan on doing engine or brake work you need one for sure....

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewfus420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a shadetree mechanic wait for a sale at sears and get the digital Craftsman one. Usually they go on sale around $60 or so (list around $100) and like all Craftsman tools it has a lifetime warranty.

If your are a professional mechanic lay down the big bucks for a Snap On, and get it calibrated at least 1 time each year, your Snap On guy should offer the service free, most places charge $60+ for the service.

Craftsman torque wrenches are not covered by the lifetime warranty. You may get a store to replace one for you but they are not obligated to do so. Craftsman torque wrenches only come with a one year warranty which makes sense.

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewfus420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ditto the Snap-On recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back