Gear through airport x-rays?
Jul 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi people,

I am going on vacation to Rome this summer and I plan on taking my camera and my new portable rig. Everything you carry on the plan goes through an x-ray of some sort and that got me thinking, is it safe to let your gear pass through the scanner at the airport?

I plan on taking my Nikon D80, Cowon D2 a Tomahawk and some earphones. I got a Loewpro D100 AW bag for it but I doubt it will protect it through the scanner since it ain't made of lead
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for looking!

Best,
Frederik

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, there have been plenty of threads about this before, and everybody from their personal experience, have had no problem.

What about the D80 though? Now you made me worry about this, if I ever need to bring my Canon Rebel XSi on board.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 9
X-ray machines are perfectly safe for electronics. My stuff including my Pentax K100D DSLR has been scanned many times.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 9
The x-ray TWA nazis just gave me some really weird looks and scanned my hard case with my headphone gear in it 3 times, but didn't say anything or give me any problems about it the last time I went through with my stuff.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Security can get freaky about electronics they don't recognize. Headphone amps, DACs, etc., are usually a mystery to them, so plan accordingly.

Also, (at least in the US) security has little or no training while being poorly educated. Anything they don't find familiar is a "threat." So stuff like headphones, iPods, cameras, etc. are OK since they've seen them before. But anything not immediately recognized might get you detained. You can't count on them being reasonable or not equating "different" and "dangerous," either. My rule of thumb is that if I couldn't explain it in 10 seconds to a five year old, best to leave it at home.

And X-rays won't hurt anything. Your gear will be fine.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 9
I recently took my portable rig with me, after going through security 8-9 times so far, no one has stopped me or questioned me.

I would say to be safe print out information on the gear you are carrying from a website where you can order it. For me, I printed out the information and ordering info on the Boa just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back