GBA and Gamecube pricing
Oct 13, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #16 of 32
I am not complaining about how cheap GC is. I will most likely pick one up now that my headphone system is staying put. I was just saying that because of market demand or monopoly or whatever you want to call it, a portable system cost as much as a console.

And I think GC has some pretty good games. Zelda and Metroid is worth the price of GC especially at $99. And these titles are exclusive.

Oct 13, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #17 of 32
Don't forget Mario Party 4 and Super Monkey Ball 2. Killer party games
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #18 of 32
The price of the Gamecube is an absolute steal. While they don't have a large volume of games, I agree that there are a number of great ones out there. And if you go and get the games used (and why not) you a hell of a lot of entertainment for a small price. Just think how much you spent on your video card and compare that to what you can get in terms of a Gamecube gaming system.

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 32
I was badly addicted to Animal Crossing...thats why I sold my Cube....my top day was 17 hours straight....but never less than 6...I was not getting much work done.

I saved my town....now Im tempted to get another cube at $100 plus AC is reduced to $30.

Maybe I can limit myself to two hours a day....yeah right.....
John

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
i dont think they have any reason to drop the price for GBA, GC is doing really bad (not as bad as xbox) on sales in north america, thet's why they dropped the price and wish more people will buy it.

Nope, Game Cube is third, Xbox is second. This is even after Game Cube sales reportedly quadrupled because of the price cut.

Nov 10, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #22 of 32
Not to hijack this thread, I'm wondering which system to get for Christmas. I promised to forever stop gaming, but it's been too long since I wrapped my sweaty paws on a controller.

1. PS2

2. Gamecube

3. Xbox

4. New ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

(Of course, it will be for my brother.)

Nov 10, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #23 of 32
The number of women ages 18 and older who play games has outpaced those of boys ages 6 to 17.

(Quote from an above link)

Can this be for real? Most boys 6 to 17 play video games on a regular basis.

Nov 10, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #25 of 32
Fair enough.

Well, I really cannot see women aged 18-over can comprise a greater number of gamers than the numerous male children, and I cannot see how they could take an accurate measure of what comprises the video game-playing population.

Nov 10, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Gee, Riz, are you having a bad day? Couldn't you have been more polite in your wording? Why are you taking anything I say as personal? Why the personal attack?

All I am saying is that I would love to have some of the old games with updated graphics, and perhaps tweaked control (on those games that had bad or loose control). Give me N64 Goldeneye on the GC, or the original Turok, etc. Imagine all the original Final Fantasy games with updated graphics, etc.

Sony destroyed BLEEM and then didn't use the technology in the PS2. I would have loved greater rendering of old games, so that they look better than playing them on the PS1. Give me a tweaked Residential Evil, etc.

As far as the XBox, there was a need for a smaller controller, so it is safe to say that many people had problems with the old controller.

I would have liked to use my N64 controller on the GC. And instead of giving me a free game when I buy a system, how about including a "free" memory card, instead?

Supposedly Blockbuster is doing away with system rentals. When I last rented a PS2 I had it powered on for 5 days straight because they didn't have a memory card for me to rent.

as far as games go, I usually find that 25% of the games are great. So if Sony has 200 PS2 games out, chances are that 50 of them are great. If however GC has 50 games out, 12 games are great.

me, I prefer fps, arcade flyers and platform games. I could never get into Mario, so that leaves... me enjoying Nintendo for the fps.

so I apologise if my saying that Nintendo has crap games upset you. I look at the system and I can see myself buying about 4 games.

well, time to get back to playing Duke Nukem: Zero Hour and Rayman 2 on the N64.

Nov 10, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #27 of 32
Because GBA is backward compatable with all GB games, and has such a huge current library of games...as well as up and coming games...I think the GBA SP is pretty much the best system out there right now. I still love PS2, the X-Box, and GC, but the GBA is just so awesome. Brings back so many memories. I also wish the GC had more potential to be a good system...there are just not enough companies that are ready to make tons of games for the GC. Although, if I had the money, I would love to buy the GC just for Mario Kart Double Dash, and few others. But it is obvious why the two systems cost the same...one is failing miserably and the other is having major success.

Also, people who want a portable system, might want to wait for the PSP(Portable Sony PLaystation...look on egmmag.com for part of the latest story), which will be coming out within the next year or so. Apparently, it will be as good as PS2, performance wise, and will be able to play DVD's, with Internet capabilities. Oh and I also heard that it might have a headphone out jack with Dolby Digital support for movie watching...how cool would that be? The only problem is, people from Electronic Gaming Monthly say it might cost upwards of 700-1k!!!!
eek.gif

Nonetheless, I will still maybe save up for it because I know it will be by far the best portable system ever. Imagine flying somewhere all while being able to watch dvd's, play a huge library and variety of PS2 (or PS1) games, and being able to surf the web!!!! Talk about a dream system.

Nov 10, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #28 of 32
Hey,

This is a timely post, and I could use some input from you Game Cube aficionados. I was at a local Best Buy with my 12 year old nephew and he absolutely loved playing Soul Calibur 2 on the Game Cube display, fighting one on one matches with different characters.
I did some serious cd and dvd shopping and checked out the computer area and a lot of other things and could STILL barely drag him away from playing it. I even kicked his butt on the second and third games he had me play with him before he would agree to leave. I have to say it was a lot of fun and its nice to know the old reflexes are still holding up!
Anyway, he comes from a one parent household, as his father passed away a few years ago, and my sister is usually strapped for cash trying to hold things together for him and his sister all by herself. He has a Playstation one at the moment, but thats about it.
Watching how much fun he had, I would hate for him to go without a Game Cube and Soul Calibur, and the only way he will get it is from me, so there goes the wallet again! <g>
So here is my question. And please forgive me, as I am a pc guy, and know almost zero about consoles. I know the Cube is available for $99.95 but what else does it need as accessories. I looked at both Best Buy, Circuit City and Costco today. At Costco, they had a package of the GC, two controllers and a 251 memory card. Is that all thats needed? They also had Soul Calibur for $44.95. Are those about the best prices I can expect to find.
Thanks for any help, and for making a kids Christmas a lot brighter when he opens this package and has the right stuff.

JC

Nov 10, 2003 at 8:03 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Give me a tweaked Residential Evil, etc.

We've got one. On the Gamecube. The graphics are completely new and it looks amazing.
tongue.gif

Nightfall: Yes, the Costco bundle is everything you need. For Soul Calibur 2, try Walmart. I checked Pricegrabber and they have it for about $37. Expect to pay $45-50 for most games, depending on where you shop. There is a growing number of Player's Choice titles that are only $30. There are also some games that are priced at $20, but a lot of them are the equivalent of budget software on the PC. If you want to get him two games instead of just one, I would recommend The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker as an excellent action/adventure game.

Nov 10, 2003 at 10:07 AM Post #30 of 32
and when Mario Kart Double Dash comes out, get him that both for you and him
biggrin.gif
i don't care how old you are, Mario Kart is always fun as hell. and Double Dash only improves on everything that makes N64 Mario Kart an awesome game...plus new features and what not...like having two characters in one car. one throwing the shells, and the other driving. i admit it, i'm addicted to Mario Kart as much as i am with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back