Gave up on the K1000, now thinking about the DX1000
Feb 27, 2008 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

troymadison

Headphoneus Supremus
I wanted to find a headphone that combined characteristics of the D2000 and K501 into one headphone since I love both, but I want to find an overall upgrade from both. Does this sound do-able with the DX1000?

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 32
I do not know if the DX1000 will get you there, but I think I know what you are shooting for and have a different idea.

I have K501s that have been recabled (by Fitz) and I have put on some K601 pads. These 2 "mod"s give the K501 added weight and a little warmth without sacrificing clarity or soundstage. They are a beautiful sounding pair especially for classical and jazz.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know if the DX1000 will get you there, but I think I know what you are shooting for and have a different idea.

I have K501s that have been recabled (by Fitz) and I have put on some K601 pads. These 2 "mod"s give the K501 added weight and a little warmth without sacrificing clarity or soundstage. They are a beautiful sounding pair especially for classical and jazz.

Yeah well, maybe I should rephrase my original post. I like my K501 as it is for the most part. I am mainly trying to upgrade my D2000 actually. I really didn't like the K501 with K701/K601 pads.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 32
Hi Troymadison,

I've been using the DX1000 for the last month, they've got about 300 flight hours since new, and I believe they're burn-in enough. Not any noticeable changes for the last 200 hours or so. I've been listening to many different music styles and recordings, so I believe I've got a spot on their signature and performance under different conditions.
I've been able to compare them to the K701, SE/balanced HD600 and for a short while to the D5000. However I don't know the 501/601, so I really don't know exactly what would you be looking for with your change. I listened to the K1000s years ago, amped from a Classe integrated on the speakers outputs, and I couldn't really appreciate their sound, too "hifi" for my taste.

Let me know what do you need to know about the DX1000 and I'll try to answer as clearly and objectively as I can.

Rgrds.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Troymadison,

I've been using the DX1000 for the last month, they've got about 300 flight hours since new, and I believe they're burn-in enough. Not any noticeable changes for the last 200 hours or so. I've been listening to many different music styles and recordings, so I believe I've got a spot on their signature and performance under different conditions.
I've been able to compare them to the K701, SE/balanced HD600 and for a short while to the D5000. However I don't know the 501/601, so I really don't know exactly what would you be looking for with your change. I listened to the K1000s years ago, amped from a Classe integrated on the speakers outputs, and I couldn't really appreciate their sound, too "hifi" for my taste.

Let me know what do you need to know about the DX1000 and I'll try to answer as clearly and objectively as I can.

Rgrds.

Well, I am just curious how the D5000 and Dx1000 compare. And lastly, to see if you like the dx1000.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am just curious how the D5000 and Dx1000 compare. And lastly, to see if you like the dx1000.

I'll answer your second question first
wink.gif
Yes, I like them, I find them the kind of warm, enjoyable cans that easily put you into the music, without really major "audiophile" flaws, but far from being completely neutral or perfect. With much of the music I like to listen, jazz and classical, they're the funniest cans I've owned. On rock and pop-electronica it depends on the recording and how "hot" is the bass equalised into the mix.

The first question is hard to answer since I listened to the D5000 just for a couple of tunes. From that short experience I'd say the D5000 are more balanced across the frequency range, the DX1000 are "bass-midrangers" because they exhibit a clear bass boost, so don't take it as if the highs were faulty, which is not the case, it's just the frequencies from below 20Hz up to 600Hz are quite more present than the treble. The lower register is very clean and very well articulated, with nice punch, and reaching the deepest depths that no other cans I've listened to can handle, but can be overwhelming on bass oriented music, maybe too much of a good thing. On jazz, classical and most live recorded stuff they perform very well and the bass enhancement works wonders to provide warmth, believability and enjoyment.
On the other hand the D5000 don't have that clean well textured bass, maybe the Markl mods spare that, their bass is more flabby, though quite punchy and apparently deep. The main difference is in the highs, the D5000's is more sparky, depending on the music could even be fatiguing, while the DX1000's is smooth, relaxed, yet clear and extended. On A/B comparisons against the balanced HD600s the mid and highs register of DX1000-HD600 is very very similar if that tells you something.
Regarding stage, detail and other features, there isn't much I can say since my experience with the D5000s was quite short. I'd just say the D5000 sound closer and narrower, less deep too, but reading the Markl's mod results and others' experience by just stuffing the pads with some foam, that could be easily improved. Can't say, I haven't tried.

Had you more questions, I'd gladly answer them. Rgrds.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 32
Skylab has both of these headphones (d5k and Dx1k). He reviewed the d5000 and compared it to the Dx1000. Do a search for the review.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll answer your second question first
wink.gif
Yes, I like them, I find them the kind of warm, enjoyable cans that easily put you into the music, without really major "audiophile" flaws, but far from being completely neutral or perfect. With much of the music I like to listen, jazz and classical, they're the funniest cans I've owned. On rock and pop-electronica it depends on the recording and how "hot" is the bass equalised into the mix.

The first question is hard to answer since I listened to the D5000 just for a couple of tunes. From that short experience I'd say the D5000 are more balanced across the frequency range, the DX1000 are "bass-midrangers" because they exhibit a clear bass boost, so don't take it as if the highs were faulty, which is not the case, it's just the frequencies from below 20Hz up to 600Hz are quite more present than the treble. The lower register is very clean and very well articulated, with nice punch, and reaching the deepest depths that no other cans I've listened to can handle, but can be overwhelming on bass oriented music, maybe too much of a good thing. On jazz, classical and most live recorded stuff they perform very well and the bass enhancement works wonders to provide warmth, believability and enjoyment.
On the other hand the D5000 don't have that clean well textured bass, maybe the Markl mods spare that, their bass is more flabby, though quite punchy and apparently deep. The main difference is in the highs, the D5000's is more sparky, depending on the music could even be fatiguing, while the DX1000's is smooth, relaxed, yet clear and extended. On A/B comparisons against the balanced HD600s the mid and highs register of DX1000-HD600 is very very similar if that tells you something.
Regarding stage, detail and other features, there isn't much I can say since my experience with the D5000s was quite short. I'd just say the D5000 sound closer and narrower, less deep too, but reading the Markl's mod results and others' experience by just stuffing the pads with some foam, that could be easily improved. Can't say, I haven't tried.

Had you more questions, I'd gladly answer them. Rgrds.

Would you say that the Dx1000 has a viel?

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say that the Dx1000 has a viel?

Mmmm I wouldn't say so, it's detailed and spacious, but the preponderance of bass over treble can give the sensation of lacking the ultimate definition. If you listen to bass-heavy music, then certainly you'll have the feeling of a veil over the music, but I don't find it disturbing, the other virtues overcome it.

Well, you know, nothing is perfect and this hobby is about taking tradeoffs all the time. It's your personal acceptance of them what will make you happy or not.
I wouldn't recommend buying these cans blindly, depending on your taste and ancillaries they could be pure joy, or a nightmare.

Rgrds.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 32
You can not replace K1000 by any HP, imo. And amping them isnt that expensive in the first place. It is all the matter of preferences anyway. I had TrendsAudio TA10.1 and the result were more than just decent. Another option, which I didnt tried but had a good impressions up here is Firestone "Big Joe" power amp. Both are budget amps.
cool.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can not replace K1000 by any HP, imo. And amping them isnt that expensive in the first place. It is all the matter of preferences anyway. I had TrendsAudio TA10.1 and the result were more than just decent. Another option, which I didnt tried but had a good impressions up here is Firestone "Big Joe" power amp. Both are budget amps.
cool.gif

Not really trying to replace the K1000. Just trying to find a headphone with a new kind of sound that I enjoy, possibly an upgrade from what I already have.

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 32
The K-1000 is not that difficult to amp. One of the good vintage receivers will do it. You can get them for $50 to free at thrift shops and garage sales. Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners is a great resource for them. What they need is a good 8W at a low impedance.

You're not going to easily find a substitute. The K-501 has a similar signature, but nothing else has the earspeaker configuration. Stax may, but I'm not that familiar with their models.

You have a pretty nice lineup of gear already. If you're looking for a new experience, you might want to try a new music genre. Getting into new music is as exciting as new gear. Or maybe try a new format or a different type of amp.

Edit: Just looked at your profile. If you want a new sound from your headphones, get some tubes. You'll hear their character change. And how about picking up a turntable? It's an entirely different experience from digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back