Gateway Just Went Under
Dec 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
My IT guy told me a few hours ago that Gateway declared bankrupcy and are selling off assets. I was really surprised, as Gateway is a HUGE name, and then it dawned on me...Wait a minute. My computer at home is a Gateway! And my monitor here at the office is a Gateway...and my computer here is also a Gateway.

Hmmmm......

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 15
If that seems odd to you it is because the economic "crisis" is a carefully calculated hoax, designed to all but eliminate the middle class and expand the wealth of those already immensely wealthy.

And before anyone starts the typical nonsense, I am wearing my tin foil hat...
rolleyes.gif

I guess it's time to rollout out a bailout for those poor Gateway execs, they really do need it.

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Interesting news, if this is indeed true. Last I checked they were doing well, and were planning to release some new stuff, especially for their FX line-up.

Ironic that I'm typing on my Gateway laptop for this.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 15
MPC Computers, LLC, formerly Gateway Computers ("Gateway, or the "Debtors"), filed for bankruptcy in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware on Thursday, November 6, 2008. In addition to filing its chapter 11 bankruptcy petition, the Debtors filed various first day motions with the Court. Included among Debtors' initial motions is a motion authorizing Debtors to pay pre-bankruptcy claims of "certain critical vendors." (Read Gateway's critical vendor motion here)

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 15
Yeah, interesting indeed!
Lots of companies struggle these days, and sadly a lot of them have already went under or will go under.

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, indeed. This is the first I'm hearing of this. You'd think that something like this would be all over tech sites by now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First I heard of it too, but it's old news-- November 7, to be exact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MPC Computers, LLC, formerly Gateway Computers ("Gateway, or the "Debtors"), filed for bankruptcy in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware on Thursday, November 6, 2008. In addition to filing its chapter 11 bankruptcy petition, the Debtors filed various first day motions with the Court. Included among Debtors' initial motions is a motion authorizing Debtors to pay pre-bankruptcy claims of "certain critical vendors." (Read Gateway's critical vendor motion here)

This isn't the Chapter 11 they filed back in November. From what my IT guy said, there was an announcement made by the mayor of the town (wherever that is) that Gateway is based, indicating the pending Chapter 7 bankrupcy. Supposedly, a Gateway rep called him/her to give them a heads-up, as it affects the town's economy by a large amount.

I, too, have been looking online for some additional information with no luck. I certainly hope the IT guy was mistaken, but who knows.

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, indeed. This is the first I'm hearing of this. You'd think that something like this would be all over tech sites by now.

We (the techies, that is) all wrote Gateway off a decade ago, when they gave up their roots, sold out, and move HQ from S. Dakota to San Diego. The only question is, "how did they hold on for 10 more years?" No need for a bailout, that happened long ago...

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And before anyone starts the typical nonsense, I am wearing my tin foil hat...
rolleyes.gif

...and I am wearing my tinfoil fez.
wink.gif

Laz

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 15
Apparently, it's being kept hush-hush by Gateway (for obvious reasons) but the same IT guy told me this morning that he's been told by his higher-ups that Gateway will no longer honor their warranty on any of the Gateway products purchased by the city (in the Pacific Northwest) that I work for.

Gateway products are still being sold in stores, Internet, etcetera, but may not come with any warranty. So if you're in the market for a Gateway product, make sure you ask questions and research or, better yet, wait a while to see what/how things play out.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Evil Dan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HP owns Gateway now, I think, so doesn't that mean that HP will have to honor warranties, exchange products, pump money into Gateway, etc?

Actually, Acer owns Gateway.

I wonder if Acer just bought the assets and left all the liabilities with Gateway.
If that's the case, this isn't exactly unexpected
EDIT: Apparently Acer bought Gateway's consumer product line and MPC bought Gateway's business product line. MPC went bankrupt.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameyer17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, Acer owns Gateway.

I wonder if Acer just bought the assets and left all the liabilities with Gateway.
If that's the case, this isn't exactly unexpected
EDIT: Apparently Acer bought Gateway's consumer product line and MPC bought Gateway's business product line. MPC went bankrupt.

Oh well, I was always an HP fanboy anyways (people always make fun of me for not having a TI calculator, until I show them 3d graphs and crazy stuff like that on my HP 50G
biggrin.gif
), I've never had a Gateway that I liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back