Gateway desktop amps
Feb 23, 2007 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pretzelb

100+ Head-Fier
Someone once posted that portable amps like PA2v2 are the "gateway drugs" to more purchases I am turning into a living example of that. Along those lines I think I may start looking into something non-portable. I was curious if there were any desktop amps that were similar to the PA2v2 and GoVibe in that they were great introductions into the category. Seems like most reviews I see lately are on high end portable or mid priced desktop, though I'm not familiar with the desktop range of products yet. I may look into something for myself but I was actually thinking of my father first who showed interest in getting a PA2v2 like me but would most likely only use it at the home.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Gilmore Lite and as far as I know GS-1 by HeadAmp are both Kevin Gilmore's Dynalo amp. It's a really good amp, especially for DIY as it's not too expensive to build and sounds great for the cost. I wouldn't call it "low end" by any stretch of the imagination.

Dynalo is like miles away from low-end amps like PA2V2 / GoVibe.

One of the best bang/buck home amps is the Pimeta. Could make it for around $100 and it'll sound great.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 5
The HeadRoom Micro amp w/Desktop module, is a great-sounding amp that works very well as a desktop amp. It sounds VERY close to my bigger amps. VERY.
It drives any of my cans with plenty power to spare.
Qiute adequate as an "only" amp if need be, for $299.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Corda Aria. Definitely kick-started me into this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back