Garden State
Aug 9, 2004 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
time for me to recommend another movie to see, and this time, it's Garden State.

zach braff wrote, directed, and starred in this wonderful film (that i just go out of). great cinematography along with a gorgeous soundtrack, including travis and the shins, and when i say the shins, i mean "oh, inverted world" shins, not that "chutes too narrow" crap. the movie sort of strikes me as somewhere inbetween lost in translation, and the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, only.. in new jersey and with more anti-depressants.

anyway, it's distributed by fox searchlight, so i don't expect it to be at every theatre and you may have to wait. last week it was playing in nyc, but was in my local theatre this weekend. anyway, if you're looking for a good movie to see, try it out.

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 21
oooh, oooh, Natalie Portman!

... I just gave myself away, didn't I.
redface.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

don't expect it to be at every theatre and you may have to wait. last week it was playing in nyc, but was in my local theatre this weekend.

Yeah, this has been on my "to see" list since I first saw the previews. Hopefully this will come up to CT soon.

Aug 25, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 21
What are the headphones natalie portman is wearing in this flick? Really nice movie btw.

Aug 25, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 21
I've been wanting to watch this for awhile now. Luckily, it's playing 15 minutes away from me, so I'll probably catch it this weekend. Truth be told, I mostly wanted to watch this because of Zach Braff (I'm a big fan of Scrubs) and of course, Natalie (we're on a first name basis).
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
Any other Scrubs fans out there?

the Judge

Aug 25, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
What are the headphones natalie portman is wearing in this flick? Really nice movie btw.

i recall them being bose quiet comforts, probably the newer model, rather than the originals that scarlett johansson wore in lost in translation.

i know this movie finally made it to a wider release. anybody else get out to see it?

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 21
I saw it this last weekend at a small theater in Ann Arbor. It is excellent. It has a little bit of everything: romance, comedy, srtuggles with friends, money, small town life, family. Very well writen, filmed, and acted too. Natalie Portman is of course gorgeous, but actually puts up a solid performance in this one to boot. I think we're going to see good things from Braff in the the future. I highly recommend it.

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 21
Finally just saw this terrific movie tonight - Loved it! It was very cool how it seemed to balance the serious nature of its main storyline against some really bizarre, hilarious humor (like really, really subtle John Waters humor, or something). This gave a slightly sureal aspect to the movie that I really liked.

Of course Natalie Portman is just gorgeous, with a beauty on par with Audrey Hepburn, imo. But I thought she also gave a really great performance here as well. It's hard not to fall in love with her. I never realized she has this very cute, subtle lisp too (or was she acting that?).

Great soundtrack that I will have to pick up ASAP. Imogen Heap is on it. I have what is, I think, her one and only CD from several years back, and wondered what she has been up to since. Glad to see she is still making music.

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 21
Got a chance to watch this today. Great movie. It's incredibly sad, yet hilarious as well. Most people would call this a romantic comedy, but it's too good to be pigeonholed like that. Impressive performances all around, especially by Natalie Portman. Great soundtrack as well. If this is playing near you, do yourself a favor and go see it.

the Judge

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 21
i saw it last week when i went back to la. i loved it. and yeah, great soundtrack too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Finally just saw this terrific movie tonight - Loved it! It was very cool how it seemed to balance the serious nature of its main storyline against some really bizarre, hilarious humor (like really, really subtle John Waters humor, or something). This gave a slightly sureal aspect to the movie that I really liked.

funny you should mention john waters, did anybody else get to see that trailer for his next movie? i can't wait. nc-17, johnny knoxville, selma blair.. woo! http://imdb.com/title/tt0365125/

iron & wine did a neat cover of "such great heights" by the postal service on the soundtrack. some great shots in the movie, but i'm sort of annoyed with natalie portman and not into her anymore. a friend of mine used to work with her years ago, and apparently she's quite a nasty bitch, plus, it took a star wars movie for everybody to be all into her. i saw the professional AND beautiful girls in the THEATRE! err, yeah.

anyway, i wanna see it again. and i still want to pickup the soundtrack.

Aug 31, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 21
I have friends from Boston that have met her and I heard the opposite. Kind and personable. It would be a classic scenario if she was just a regular hollywood bitch. To bad that happens to most actors/actresses.

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 21
BTW, I think her headphones were Aiwa X223 cheapies. Get 'em at Best Buy. The logo on the sides were strategically obscured by some stick-on decals, but I believe I recall seeing the telltale mute button.

God, I'm such a geek sometimes
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 21
i started watching scrubs yesterday, and after getting through most of the first season, i saw a few things that i also saw in garden state.

in the first episode of scrubs, a visual effect is used that's also used in garden state. the one i'm talking about is where he is standing still and just looking forward while the people move around him in a fast motion. in the show the camera panned around a bit, and his eyes were shut, but i found that pretty interesting considering how many times it was used in his feature film.

similar music was also used. a song by remy zero, on fire, was used during one of the episodes, as well as the song new slang, by the shins. it seems that zach braff and i have similar music taste, as i've listened to both these bands for a number of years as well.

i wonder though, is braff sort of a creative consultant on the show, or perhaps he just saw elements in use on the show he starred in and decided to use them in the movie?

other than that, i have to say, it is one of the best television shows i've ever watched. the wit and sharp humor of the dialogue in each episode have me rolling. almost every joke and humorous moment have a quick delivery and no pause for laughter, it's just damn great. i have quite a few more episodes to make up before i can start watching it weekly, as the fourth season just started (two episodes aired already).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back