Garbage In, Garbage Out - Why aren't Head-fiers obsessively posting about awesome recordings?
Aug 27, 2008 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
The title sums up my feelings. There have been more than a few threads popping up lately about how albums sound pretty bad lately and how there is no hope. Lossy online files are the future and there is no turning back...

I've been reading a lot lately about recording quality, recording techniques and key albums to look for. Where do I find all this good info? The Hoffman Forums of course!

Now, the knowledge base there is intense and insane. Many of the members who actively post are the actual recording engineers. They provide incredible insight and information regarding their own masters as well as poor masters put out day after day after day.

With such knowledge, quite a few OCD music lovers buy up multiple versions of albums, rip them, test them and then reply to the community with samples and images we can all see and hear to gauge for ourselves if we want to 1) buy an album, 2) wait for another version 3) hunt on Ebay for something special.

I haven't purchased an audio component for a while now and won't be for a while (kids, school, dead wallet...) yet I can afford to buy solid versions of albums I love (if they stay under 3 figures). A well recorded album will sound better on a low-fi to mid-fi setup vs. a poorly recorded version of the same album on a megabuck system. So many have been plunking down large bundles of cash on uber amps, rare headphones but rarely do I catch folks ferociously researching premium versions of their choice albums.

No doubt, most albums are simply duds in terms of mastering. Worse than that, I suppose is that only one mastering is done and released. Yet, there are quite a few albums with multiple versions released all around the world, say for instance the US/Canada release being very different than the West German or Japanese release (particularly Japanese releases).

These differences can stem from alternate tracks to extra tracks to completely different folks involved in mastering. This is all just for a single format! Imagine the permutations when we start throwing in LP vs. RBCD vs. HDCD vs. XRCD vs. SACD!

I don't expect us to duplicate the information from the Hoffman forums, but I think it would be worthwhile if we focused on well recorded albums. Sure there are a few threads floating around, but a good many of these are purely subjective with no data being used at all save for one's ears. Posting some wav forms and/or clips for others to listen to would really expand our own knowledge base particularly since the demographics of each site are very different. The Hoffman forums are mostly middle aged guys who love their Jazz and Classic Rock. In fact, one could anticipate a dozen new Beatles threads every week, no joke!

Garbage in, Garbage out. More than "Sorry about your wallet" should be the mantra chanted by audiophiles at Head-fi. Why? Because headphones are famous for being far more resolving than speakers on the whole. That means the nuances of most of the differences in a recording will be more readily apparent to the headphone users than those listening to speakers (unless of course something is brickwalled to the max).

Garbage in, Garbage out. This is why so many albums sound awful. They were poorly engineered.

Garbage in, Garbage out. We are more aware of these flaws as we continue to upgrade. Upgrading being an epidemic among Head-fiers.

Garbage in , Garbage out. No matter how much one spends on their kit, the music won't be magically transformed. The good will be highlighted no doubt, but the bad will be as equally apparent and sometimes even more so.

Garbage in, Garbage out. Every member here should familiarize themselves with names like Hoffman, Gray, Diament etc.

Garbage in, Garbage out. Every member here should be made aware of WG "target" recordings. Early Japanese pressings. Variants of albums X Y and Z.

Garbage in, Garbage out. It won't go away but it can be made to smell better!

Goodness in, Goodness out. Not everyone will want to spend the time researching and/or hunting and spending more money on albums when they can just download from iTunes, head to Walmart and grab the CD etc...but to those that want Goodness in, Goodness out...that road will be a far easier journey with the proper knowledge under their belt.

Goodness in, Goodness out. It just might cure more than a few Head-fiers from upgraditis. Of course, the opposite could be true. It might elevate the disease to a near fatal level
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 28
I've been pondering roughly the same premise for a thread here on Head-Fi. Every now and then, I'll come across a well recorded track or album and desire to share it with our community. I may not even like a particular track, yet I could admire attributes of the recording.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 28
seeking quality recordings to me is swaying away from the purpose of music. i seek gear that caters to the music that i enjoy; i'd feel that if i was seeking music that caters to gear that i like, i'd be a slave to the whole audiophilia thing which i am certainly not.

that said, i've usually preferred the original pressing vs a remastered cd because although the remaster had more details less noise, etc. i felt all that processing took away from the purity of the recording. guess i have a taste for raw music. i also tend to prefer older gear over the latest ones. five years ago there's no way i thought i would have come to the preferences that i have now and would probably think that my tastes parallel that of someone who is nearly two generations older than i am but you never know because i'm still evolving. even though i think the differences in recording quality are very blatant, i care less so long as that i have an album that i enjoy and that the music performance is good, not the recording level. if it was well engineered, that's just a bonus...

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seeking quality recordings to me is swaying away from the purpose of music. i seek gear that caters to the music that i enjoy; i'd feel that if i was seeking music that caters to gear that i like, i'd be a slave to the whole audiophilia thing which i am certainly not.

I'm not suggesting this at all. What I am suggesting is if a person like a certain album...they might want to know which version of said album to buy. Ultimately much of what is available is going to sound bad if it is a newer release, but, quite a few albums have multiple versions released in different parts of the world and finding the best release of an album a person loves ought to be something they focus on. I would never buy music that is gets a 5 star on sonics but in my mind gets a 1 for musical enjoyment. It might be a reason why I own very few Chesky discs. AWESOME recordings but for the most part, utterly flat and 1 dimensional artists or music being recorded. For my tastes anyway.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 28
There are a few threads around this place with nuggets of information, I was recommended to go for the Porky/peco 1st press of John Lennon's imagine over any other issue/re-issue and it was great advice.

It would be great to have all such advice in one thread. I agree with Zanth, If you are interested in a particular album you may as well try and get the best recorded version around.

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 28
Well, let's get started!

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 28
hmm, well this is a good idea. I have been toying with the idea of trying to find "better" recorded versions of some albums, but only because they are rather old. i didnt realise that even new releases have such varied mastering. I have looked at hoffman before, but as you said, the demographic is so different. although i share *some* interest, the information they give can be so esoteric, that well, i couldn't comprehend it, and never felt the need to, as so little appealed to me.

so, i do hope that such discussion can be started over here, not only because i would actually be able to understand it, and the fact that i feel some of the music talked about may be of more interest to me, but also because i feel it would be a good place to discover some music. i am always up for that, so yeah, lets get it started.

BTW, on hoffman's forum, there wouldn't be a thread listing albums, and different masters, and say rating them? that may be of some help for those of us who are not that well versed in the area of mastering.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 28
Excellent thread.
I've long wondered why a group of people that do such intense listening aren't all trading names and numbers of the better recordings and masterings out there.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 28
So true, Zanth.

I remember a thread on here a year or so ago where a poster was asking what amp he should upgrade to with his RS-1s. Naturally, everyone asked him what kind of music he listened to. He listed every one of his albums.

All five of them.

That doesn't represent the bulk of us here, of course, but it illustrates a problem -- many are putting the playback before the play.

I understand that new members here are continually looking for gear advice, because on a gear forum the system comes first, but I'm always disappointed that more senior members can't be found in the music forum.

I would *love* for this forum to become a kind of counterpoint to Hoffman's older demo. Of course, that means I need to start posting some samples...

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 28
Great Idea!

I have a couple of questions, though:
Are we going to be objective about this and include graphs and test results, or more subjective as in "it sounds pretty damn good to me".

How are we going to define "awesome recordings"?
Because some of the so-called "awesome" MFSL remasters sound like ass to me (muffled), and I sometimes (to a point) prefer a slightly hot, but more real and raw sounding original.

Food for thought.

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 28
Good question, moonshine.

I think the idea of posting samples solves that problem. If you have them both, put them both up and let us decide for ourselves

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great Idea!

I have a couple of questions, though:
Are we going to be objective about this and include graphs and test results, or more subjective as in "it sounds pretty damn good to me".

How are we going to define "awesome recordings"?
Because some of the so-called "awesome" MFSL remasters sound like ass to me (muffled), and I sometimes (to a point) prefer a slightly hot, but more real and raw sounding original.

Food for thought.

For it to sound better overall to anyone, that will be based on subjective preferences. However, posting wave forms is going to be an excellent ruler to gauge horrid compressions, awesome dynamics etc.

Most people don't want LOUD all the time. So the more dynamics recordings usually are favoured. However, the key won't only be about compression levels and who mastered what. It could be "get the Japanese release because you get two extra tracks!"

Or say in the case of Nirvana's In Utero on LP, if one gets the import, one gets the Albini mixes of two tracks that were never released on CD! These were far better by many accounts.

Overall, I don't want it to just be about "I think this sounds better." That really won't work out without some data behind it. Just because something has MFSL attached to it doesn't ensure it is a winner either. For instance, there is a great thread at Hoffman's forum regarding the dudd's from MFSL!

The best way this will work is for those who have already done their research or own multiple versions, to discuss them. How are they different? Why is this so? What do you prefer? Will the membership agree?

I think these are the questions we should be asking each and every time someone posts about a new album.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, on hoffman's forum, there wouldn't be a thread listing albums, and different masters, and say rating them? that may be of some help for those of us who are not that well versed in the area of mastering.

Yes. They won't necessarily rate htem numerically but one gets a sense of which is best pretty quickly.

They have these awesome threads going through artists. For example:

U2: Album by Album

Then the OP opens up discussing each album, each track of each album. Posting about the membership's favourite tracks from each. Which version of those tracks or version of those albums is the one to get. Etc etc.

Two reasons I want this at Head-fi.

1) Many like to get all their info in one place and Head-fi has the population and enthusiasm to get this going. What we don't have is the expertise which I doubt we could ever match outright, but we could have samples posted which are nearly as good as an expert telling us which one he thinks is best

2) It will expand the information here increasing the overall value of viewing all forums. It will ideally motivate folks who tend to be gear heads to become musically obsessed. Both point towards sonics. One will always sound better the other might not
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 28
Well, it looks like this might actually get going. Zanth, do you suggested a thread per album, per artists, or a single thread for everything? Or do you feel we should just let it continue and evolve?
Also, I propose a database, like the one I mentioned earlier, that should be built up as more and more data is collected. I don't mind doing that, but well, it would be useless without some decent amount of info in there. So, that should be considered only at a later stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back