Garbage In, Garbage Out - Why aren't Head-fiers obsessively posting about awesome recordings?
Aug 27, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So true, Zanth.

I remember a thread on here a year or so ago where a poster was asking what amp he should upgrade to with his RS-1s. Naturally, everyone asked him what kind of music he listened to. He listed every one of his albums.

All five of them.

That doesn't represent the bulk of us here, of course, but it illustrates a problem -- many are putting the playback before the play.

I understand that new members here are continually looking for gear advice, because on a gear forum the system comes first, but I'm always disappointed that more senior members can't be found in the music forum.

I would *love* for this forum to become a kind of counterpoint to Hoffman's older demo. Of course, that means I need to start posting some samples...

I've always spent much more money on music than gear. I've seen more than a few people here that are the opposite. I don't understand this at all.

I've not spent that much time on the Hoffman forums. Because of that I have problems finding information sometimes. Recently, I was looking for what the best version of Relayer is on CD. It took a couple of hours to find the answer. In some of the threads, people were talking about the codes etched into LPs next to the label.

BTW, the answer to which is the best version of Relayer is the original Atlantic release or the Rhino release, but really none are as good as the best of the LPs. The other general consensus is that Relayer is the perfect example of great music recorded badly, ie the masters aren't good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great Idea!

I have a couple of questions, though:
Are we going to be objective about this and include graphs and test results, or more subjective as in "it sounds pretty damn good to me".

How are we going to define "awesome recordings"?
Because some of the so-called "awesome" MFSL remasters sound like ass to me (muffled), and I sometimes (to a point) prefer a slightly hot, but more real and raw sounding original.

Food for thought.

On the Hoffman forums, some MFSL remasters are panned. The Santana ones in particular that I've noticed. There are entire threads on what are good and bad MFSL remasters.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #17 of 28
Excellent post scompton and thanks for the info on Relayer. For those of us with a tt and a cd player, finding the best sounding release is a very possible task and one that can be very enjoyable. I've been a collector all my life starting with Star Wars action figures back in the late 70's early 80's then on to GI Joe figures, comics, music etc. I don't collect to resell but I collect to be a completist. Enjoying the hunt, finding the best sounding music is a double bonus! I get the thrill of the hunt, hunting for something I will use and best of all, it ought to be the best sounding release!

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 28
The 25th or 30th anniversary Dark Side Of The Moon remaster is missing a bit of saxaphone in "Us And Them", since I noticed that I've always been wary of "new" masters, and try to buy good condition original masters

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 28
Score: Red Violin. Wonderful solo violin throughout played by Joshua Bell. The sound tends to be close mic'd but one gets a very good sense of the room the music is being played in. Because some of the tracks are close mic'd the sound of the violin is simply wonderful.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #22 of 28
Most of us are in it for the music. Id rather listen to music than critique my gear all the time.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #23 of 28
One track that I play often from double-bassist Renaud Garcia-Fons gives me goose bumps every time. This is "Aqâ Jân" from his Entremundo release. The entire CD is good...the man is a master!

entremundo2.jpg

entremundo_garcia_fons2004.jpg

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #24 of 28
Check the link in my sig, tons of phenomenal classical recordings.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Garbage in, Garbage out. Every member here should be made aware of WG "target" recordings. Early Japanese pressings. Variants of albums X Y and Z.

And feed the greedy mouths of hoarders, speculators and sharks? I don't think so.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And feed the greedy mouths of hoarders, speculators and sharks? I don't think so.

You don't have to feed them at all, but denying that better recordings exist, denying yourself awesome recordings and others is just asinine. Sure, some rarer discs like the WG's or MFSL's are jacked up in price particularly on Ebay, but despite your pessimism the irony to that statement is that on Steve Hoffman's site, the rare discs are actually found at significantly cheaper prices than on auction sites.

Collectors are everywhere. Just check our FS forums if you want to buy an R10, PS1, HP-1000, L3000 etc. The good stuff sells because it is good!

Now then, not all great recordings are rare. There are plenty from Naxos for example that are hidden gems. Easily had for under 10 bucks, but one must be made aware that such a recording is stellar! And hence, the idea of this thread and the thread Tyson has linked to in his sig.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #27 of 28
You ought to get together with Markl and make it a Web site of its own -- maybe as an outshoot of his headphone venture web site. That would get you some space and him some traffic. I think it deserves it own site, steve hoffman forum aside. A dedicated site would also give you room for music genre categories. I'm interested in Rock/pop while other are strictly jazz, classical, etc.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #28 of 28
I usually audition the record before buying.
...then just buy those with a musical content and record quality up to my standards.

Cause as you say, **** in => **** out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back