Gapless Playback
Mar 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
Get a DAP that's supported by Rockbox: guaranteed gapless playback. iPods are gapless too.

iPods aren't gapless, and neither is rockbox.

The ONLY thing I've found that's truly gapless is my Open Pandora, running DeaDBeeF. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Possibly useful:

Quote:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GaplessHowTo

The simplest method is to use a format/codec other than MP3. For instance, Ogg Vorbis, Musepack and FLAC are all supported by Rockbox (except on the SH1 Archos devices) and are capable of gapless playback natively, without any special encoding techniques or workarounds. Simply encode the tracks per the respective encoder's documentation and they should play back gapless with Rockbox. If your format of choice remains MP3, then you can still have gapless playback by using any recent version of the LAME encoder, which will encode gapless by default. From LAME v3.90.3 upwards Rockbox will decode gapless, files encoded by older versions or other encoders are not guaranteed to playback gapless in Rockbox. The current recommended version of LAME is v3.97

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Wrong on both counts. Maybe the Android Rockbox app that you have tried doesn't do gapless, but it is gapless on 5 DAPs that I have here.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Wrong on both counts. Maybe the Android Rockbox app that you have tried doesn't do gapless, but it is gapless on 5 DAPs that I have here.

Rockbox was very close to gapless but not quite. There was maybe a quarter second gap between tracks. I only had MP3 on my iPhone, so I guess I could be wrong on that part, I just know that it wasn't gapless by any means when I used it.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #21 of 21
Maybe your MP3s weren't encoded properly, but the iPods / iPhones and Rockbox are most definitely gapless.

There was maybe a quarter second gap between tracks.

That definitely sounds wrong, and it's not something that all of us wouldn't hear. It's not a matter of sensitivity. You could try playing ALAC files on your iPhone, or FLAC or Ogg Vorbis files on a Rockboxed device, just to check. You shouldn't have any problems there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back