Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Jul 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #1,936 of 2,154

Quote:
I had some extra Blackgate NX's I ordered for whenever I get around to doing a diyMod that I used in C20 and C26. I've omitted the bypass caps for now as I've read some people suggest that the BGs don't need them (some even said their BGs sounded worse when bypassed).  I can't really offer any impressions, though, as I haven't had a chance to do any critical listening.  I'm just finishing off an amp to pair with the γ2 and still have to get my hands a nice set of full size cans.

Yeah, that's what I've heard too about the Blackgates. I'm rather curious about them as they are expensive and hard to acquire. Right now I'm using Elna Silmic II in C20, C26 bypassed with MKP2. I'm happy with the sound but I guess it doesn't hurt to try new experiments.

Let me ask you something though. How do you find the y2 sound with the NX? Is it more to the slightly warmish side or more to the bright side?

Quote:
I have a couple of questions regarding the technical capability and sound signature of the various chips used in the y2 compared to my current DAC, a Musiland MD-10. I am not asking for a "which is better" comparison or anything like that, as I know that AMB's projects are all top notch and easily compete with off-the-shelf products that cost several times as much. I am more interested in what is to be gained or lost if I were to sell the MD-10 and build a y2. For what it's worth, I primarily use optical out from my computer to the Musiland, and then use RCAs to connect to a Millett Hybrid MOSFET Max feeding Grado SR225s. According to another thread I found here, the chips used in the MD-10 are:

DAC: Cirrus CS4398
Op-amp: Analog Devices OP275

From what I have gathered, the Wolfson DAC and Burr-Brown upsampling chips used in the y2 are pretty much the best thing going as far as DACs are concerned. I haven't seen much about the Cirrus. So, does anyone have any thoughts?

I haven't heard the MD-10 so I only can offer anecdotes on the y2 part. I guess the clear tell-tale signs of a better DAC is instruments become clearly differentiated from one another instead of coming to you as mushed together. On top of that, you should be able to hear more details. If I compare vocals between the y1 and y2, it is clear the the vocal is more nuanced and detailed in the y2. It's the same case with guitar picks.

I'm not sure about the MD-10 but isn't it able to do asynchrnous via USB? The y2 certainly doesn't have this capability so this will be your loss. How much this translates to a loss in SQ is of course, another question.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #1,937 of 2,154

Quote:
Only that I really enjoy my y2 into a MiniMax as my work setup.

:D I'm thinking I'll be using a Mini3/grubDAC (Carrie USB style) for my work setup, since I need something a little more discrete.

Quote:
K3cT said:

I haven't heard the MD-10 so I only can offer anecdotes on the y2 part. I guess the clear tell-tale signs of a better DAC is instruments become clearly differentiated from one another instead of coming to you as mushed together. On top of that, you should be able to hear more details. If I compare vocals between the y1 and y2, it is clear the the vocal is more nuanced and detailed in the y2. It's the same case with guitar picks.

I'm not sure about the MD-10 but isn't it able to do asynchrnous via USB? The y2 certainly doesn't have this capability so this will be your loss. How much this translates to a loss in SQ is of course, another question.

Oh man, I am not really sure about asynchronous USB. I know that via USB it can only handle 16bit/48khz input.

Jul 27, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #1,938 of 2,154

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I've heard too about the Blackgates. I'm rather curious about them as they are expensive and hard to acquire. Right now I'm using Elna Silmic II in C20, C26 bypassed with MKP2. I'm happy with the sound but I guess it doesn't hurt to try new experiments.

Let me ask you something though. How do you find the y2 sound with the NX? Is it more to the slightly warmish side or more to the bright side?

Well, I'm not blessed with golden ears, but since you asked I grabbed the Mini3 I built for my brother and had a listen with a pair of Shure 530s. So far, they sound pretty neutral to me. I may not have been listening to the most revealing source material, though, nor do I really have good basis for comparison (like another γ2 with stock Muse caps). So my probably not so helpful opinion is that they sound pretty good to me. 

That said, I doubt I'd bother ordering them special to go in the γ2. My main reason for ordering them was for their size when using them in a diyMod LOD. I figured if I was going to be ordering them anyway, I might as well pick up some extras for other projects. The only place I could find them was at Sonic Craft for about $5 a pop. I see now they're up to $8 each. That's, what, 50 times the price of an Elna Silmic II? Unfortunately I can't compare the two head to head, but by all accounts the Silmic's are pretty darn good. I doubt whatever difference I might detect (if any) would be worth the huge price gap. So if I didn't already have the BGs, I'd probably have done the same thing you did.

If you're really keen on trying them out, I picked up enough extras that I can spare a couple. Shoot me a PM and I can send you a pair for the price I paid for them.  

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #1,939 of 2,154
I had a pair of Nx's in a malfunctioning alien dac and removed them to use in my gamma2. I really like the sound but since I haven't heard a gamma2 with another choice of output caps I can't offer any comparison!

Here are some photos of the wood case I'm building for it:

The two outer boards are just there for distributing the pressure while the glue cures. 

And one of these 3 veneers (the top one is actually more yellowish) will be used on the case, what would you guys choose? I'm think the black one would look the best.

More picstures soon!

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #1,940 of 2,154
That's a very interesting case project that you got there. I do plan to case my Beta22 in a wooden case as well but I'm not sure with the amount of heat it generates!

Anyway, do you use your NX-es bypassed or on their own?

@QRomo
Check your PM bro.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #1,943 of 2,154
Just finished building a y2 and connected it to my preamp and laptop. The laptop reads the USB DAC and the y2 switch lights up green when I played music but I have no sound. After a couple of late nights of stuffing the boards I find myself totally stuck. I'm not electronically savy and do not even own a DMM. I have gotten away with building quite a few amps found on this site's DIY section including my newest Bijou tube amp by following directions very carefully and by being very meticulous. So how do I start diagnosing my y2? And I'll be picking up a Fluke 87 tomorrow!

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #1,946 of 2,154
Tin the pads on the crystal, apply flux to the PCB, place the component, apply heat and watch for the solder to flow. 
Or:
Apply flux to the PCB, place the part, put a little solder on the tip of your iron and then touch it to the pad.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #1,950 of 2,154
Quick question.  On the gamma-1, are there supposed to be any continuities between adjacent pins on U1U and U2D?  I have 1 continuity on each with no visible solder bridges.

I checked their datasheets and didn't find any

EDIT:
for U2D, TSEL0 and TSEL1
for U1U, pins 25 and 26

I answered my own question... :embarrassed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back