Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Mar 9, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #1,592 of 2,154
YES. I have finally gotten my gamma-2 DAC to output sound! There is no words to describe my joy right now. Finally a SMD soldering project that works on me! After hours of painful debugging, I've found some really tiny soldering bridges between pins on the DAC chip. My attempt to "sweep out" the remaining solder resulted some very frail looking pins; I was almost afraid that I might have fried the chip. Well, after ohming out everything, I gathered enough courage to try it out. AND IT SINGS. Did I say it was one of the happiest moment of my life?

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #1,594 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AND IT SINGS. Did I say it was one of the happiest moment of my life?

I know that feeling very well - I'm happy for you too !

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #1,595 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES. I have finally gotten my gamma-2 DAC to output sound! There is no words to describe my joy right now. Finally a SMD soldering project that works on me! After hours of painful debugging, I've found some really tiny soldering bridges between pins on the DAC chip. My attempt to "sweep out" the remaining solder resulted some very frail looking pins; I was almost afraid that I might have fried the chip. Well, after ohming out everything, I gathered enough courage to try it out. AND IT SINGS. Did I say it was one of the happiest moment of my life?

kudos!

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #1,597 of 2,154
I ordered the OPA2365AID from Arrow, as they are the only ones in America who have it in stock apparently. Unfortunately it cost me like $12 in shipping.

The funny, or not-so-funny thing, is the packaging. This single chip, about 20 square millimeters in size, arrived in a two-foot-long triangular box which was stuffed with paper...the chip was inside a two-foot antistatic tube, which was stuffed with nearly two feet of a foam strip.

Good lord. I'm sure the majority of their customers order things in bulk, but could they seriously not have any smaller, more eco-friendly method of packaging a single SOIC chip? It's ridiculous and I'm gonna write them a little note about it, even though I doubt I'll even get an answer.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #1,598 of 2,154
Haha... I know, it really makes me mad when there isn't an economical shipping option. If it comes fast though, I don't mind at all.

$12 for two feet of stuff! At least you can reuse it... you should buy some more OPA2365 in bulk and set up a group buy... What else can the OPA2365 be used for? Are there that many y2 builders out there?

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #1,599 of 2,154
Another one lives! yeay
beyersmile.png

I'll post some pics later this week

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #1,600 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha... I know, it really makes me mad when there isn't an economical shipping option. If it comes fast though, I don't mind at all.

I wish they all offered First Class USPS like Digikey does. You can order a crapload of stuff, and it will cost like $3 to ship and be there in 2-3 days (including Saturdays). Awesome.

From what I saw, no other vendors will have the OPA2365 in stock for quite a while...maybe a good candidate for AMB to add to his store?

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #1,601 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish they all offered First Class USPS like Digikey does. You can order a crapload of stuff, and it will cost like $3 to ship and be there in 2-3 days (including Saturdays). Awesome.

No doubt. Mouser sucks because they jack up the shipping and they usually take at least 1 day before they actually ship. It takes a week no matter which way I ship it from them but 2 days USPS first class from Digikey for 1/3 the price.

I cringe every time I order from Mouser much the same way I do every time I buy a game from EA.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #1,602 of 2,154
I find Mouser FAR superior for my orders from countries outside the US, moreso those outside continental North America.

And once you hit the $200 order limit, free Fedex priority from Mouser with all duties and customs fees included is a fantastic option.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #1,604 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

$12 for two feet of stuff! At least you can reuse it... you should buy some more OPA2365 in bulk and set up a group buy... What else can the OPA2365 be used for? Are there that many y2 builders out there?

I got my OPA2365AID free samples from TI few days ago.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #1,605 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksnider1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my OPA2365AID free samples from TI few days ago.

Since a few weeks ago, they have been back ordered until April 15 (samples) according to TI's website. So what you say does not make much sense. When did you order the samples?

I will soon have all necessary parts to build the y2, so I decided to pay $15 rather than wait 6 weeks for a sample to arrive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back