Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Mar 2, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #1,561 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, quick questions:

What's filter selection for? And what's anti-clipping mean?

Also, case-mountable optical jacks I can get in case I want to use my own case?

Thanks!

Filter selection: To select the different filter options available on the 8741 and 8742 chips. Best to check AMB site and the white paper of the chip to learn what the differences are between the filters.

Anti-clipping: is a feature of the 8741 and 8742 chips that from what people state pretty much just does a 2db attenuation.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,563 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mace1337, since you're in Holland, maybe your best bet is to source as much parts as possible from Farnell.

Acutally, I just checked, and if I were to order the parts from Farnell instead of Mouser, I'd have to pay about twice as much.
eek.gif

So I'm ordering some parts that are out of stock at Mouser from Farnell, and the rest I'll order from Mouser.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #1,564 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mace1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acutally, I just checked, and if I were to order the parts from Farnell instead of Mouser, I'd have to pay about twice as much.
eek.gif

I calculated recently prices from Finnish Farnell vs. Mouser, results for y1 full++ and y2 were EUR 225,64 vs. EUR 152,57 not including VAT and including panels from Amb. Quess where I did buy from? Of course from Farnell since I didn't bother to check if Mouser will ship to Finland with reasonable P&P
smily_headphones1.gif

Lowest possible price for minimum possible y1+y2 configuration was EUR 94 not including VAT (without panels but with enclosure).

-J

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #1,565 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarpatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I calculated recently prices from Finnish Farnell vs. Mouser, results for y1 full++ and y2 were EUR 225,64 vs. EUR 152,57 not including VAT and including panels from Amb. Quess where I did buy from? Of course from Farnell since I didn't bother to check if Mouser will ship to Finland with reasonable P&P
smily_headphones1.gif

Lowest possible price for minimum possible y1+y2 configuration was EUR 94 not including VAT (without panels but with enclosure).

-J

So farnell was the expensive one right?

In that case, I think you made the wrong choice my friend, since Mouser ships for free with FedEx on orders over 75€, and their prices also include the tax and import duties already, so no nasty surprises having to pay the mailman at the door.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #1,566 of 2,154
Quote:

So farnell was the expensive one right?

In that case, I think you made the wrong choice my friend, since Mouser ships for free with FedEx on orders over 75€, and their prices also include the tax and import duties already.

Right, Farnell was most expensive, Mouser was cheapest one. Combining Farnell+Mouser would decrease price few EUR since some parts are cheaper at Farnell
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I am now painfully aware that Mouser would have shipped parts for free...

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #1,567 of 2,154
Quote:

Right, Farnell was most expensive, Mouser was cheapest one. Combining Farnell+Mouser would decrease price few EUR since some parts are cheaper at Farnell
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I am now painfully aware that Mouser would have shipped parts for free...

Ah well live and learn.

In the meantime there are a bunch of parts that are not in stock like AMB mentioned, some of them have lead times of 28 weeks or more.
eek.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #1,568 of 2,154
Quote:

In the meantime there are a bunch of parts that are not in stock like AMB mentioned, some of them have lead times of 28 weeks or more.
eek.gif

What parts you are missing? Isn't there any local electronics shop which could order you stuff from Farnell without P&P, even if you order most of the stuff from Mouser?

I have one extra SRC4192 and could sell & post it should you need it (Farnell did not stock it when I ordered my parts so I bough two from eBay), but others chips I don't have.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #1,569 of 2,154
Quote:

What parts you are missing? Isn't there any local electronics shop which could order you stuff from Farnell without P&P, even if you order most of the stuff from Mouser?

I have one extra SRC4192 and could sell & post it should you need it (Farnell did not stock it when I ordered my parts so I bough two from eBay), but others chips I don't have.

That's exactly what I need, I can order Farnell thru my work (they don't like to do it but they will if I ask nicely) and between farnell, AMB's shop and mouser the SRC is the only chip that's unavailable. Please PM me with your details so we can hook it up, thanks!

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #1,570 of 2,154
Are there any RMAA measurements (with dummy loads) available of the AD8656 configuration which can be used to drive headphones directly?
And where can I find specs like the maximum output voltage prior to clipping / power output (like seen on amp spec pages)?

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #1,571 of 2,154
Hi,

On the AMB site it says the output voltage for the 4.5V and 4.75V regs. IIRC it is something like 1.6 and 1.7 volts. The op amp is configured for a 0.7 gain. From this you can work out the power output into the cans impedance P = V^2 / R.

I'm using HD650 directly from the ad8656 with BG NX 220uF caps. It is loud enough for me but I'd like more headroom for a more dynamic sound. However, it really is quite a surprise to me how well the the ad8656 does.

I'd be very interested to hear what tonal and spatial differences there are between the two op amp choices.

If you want specs for the AD8656 you can look at the datasheet. Of course, this is not as nice as seeing how it performs in the circuit....but it's a start.

AD8656 | Low Noise, Precision CMOS Dual Amplifier | Operational Amplifiers (Op Amps) | Amplifiers and Comparators | Analog Devices

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #1,573 of 2,154
Thanks! I'm still interested in an rmaa test with 32 ohms load, though.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #1,574 of 2,154
hehe...sure me too....but I'm more interested in a diy dac with src4392, selectable xo's for input and output, wm8742, and fully balanced and discrete output stage, remote volume control....all in a sesame seed bun.. hint hint Ti ...
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back