Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Feb 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #1,546 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you located?
If it was me I would snag one of those $12 Multicomp toroids from Newark (# MCFM70/09) but they are much more expensive for people in other countries.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gam...ml#post6169217

I suppose that's nearly as convenient, since I didn't really care about stacking the boards.

Maybe a question for an o25 thread..but what enclosure line works well for a little power supply like that? I'm thinking something as small as possible, about the size of a typical laptop/printer PSU, plastic...

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #1,549 of 2,154
Hi,

I was wondering what is the most effective way to create a clean earth from usb power ? It's for a laptop-usb powered y2.

I was thinking about a series choke, or perhaps a paralled cap and resistor ? I don't know what will work best so I need some direction please ....

I've cleaned up the power line with a simple filter but the earth line is still horribly noisy - 5mV or so, and a wide bandwidth.

Thanks !

4393551847_fec62524f3_b.jpg

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #1,550 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, the Teko website has something very suitable, and apparently they send free samples.

Another snag with the o25 - the 7805 regulator part numbers listed are NA anywhere. Would this be one of the mentioned "acceptable substitutes"? The specs seem to match:

KA7805AETU Fairchild Semiconductor Linear Regulators - Standard

Any 7805 will do, they are all the same.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #1,551 of 2,154
Feb 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #1,552 of 2,154
Hi,

Tbh, I haven't heard any improvement from the power filter but I can see a substantial improvement on the scope so I'm hoping that this will be one of a series of accumulative changes.

I am thinking about upgrading the xo but I have a Euroquartz in there at the mo and the datasheet says it has less than 1ps of noise. Hard to believe that, but the y2 does sound superb... cap changes might happen too....

Nonetheless, I'd love to kill that usb common noise somehow. I see in your post that you can actually hear it ? Have you tried anything to do reduce it yet ?

cheers

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #1,553 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Tbh, I haven't heard any improvement from the power filter but I can see a substantial improvement on the scope so I'm hoping that this will be one of a series of accumulative changes.

I am thinking about upgrading the xo but I have a Euroquartz in there at the mo and the datasheet says it has less than 1ps of noise. Hard to believe that, but the y2 does sound superb... cap changes might happen too....

Nonetheless, I'd love to kill that usb common noise somehow. I see in your post that you can actually hear it ? Have you tried anything to do reduce it yet ?

cheers

it's only audible with the Bijou. i have components for a ground loop breaker. btw, i'm using a desktop computer.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,554 of 2,154
Having completed the γ2, I wonder whether there is a difference, if any, between the ASRCs SRC4192 and AD1896? Anecdotal evidences here and various sources in the Internet are inconclusive at best but the datasheet for SRC4192 seems to suggest that it has better specs than the AD1896. What do you guys think?

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #1,555 of 2,154
The fact that they are pin-compatible to each other is nice, so if one is not available there is a second-source. If you have both available to you, then I would recommend using SRC4192 over AD1896. Both are good, but the TI part indeed has better specs.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #1,556 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having completed the γ2, I wonder whether there is a difference, if any, between the ASRCs SRC4192 and AD1896? Anecdotal evidences here and various sources in the Internet are inconclusive at best but the datasheet for SRC4192 seems to suggest that it has better specs than the AD1896. What do you guys think?

Not going to comment on the differences, but these might help:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/asr...rc4192-101566/
Any feedback on new CS8421 high-res ASRC? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC - Page 69 - diyAudio

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #1,557 of 2,154
Yes! Finally I got those SRC4192 I ordered from eBay! Funny how it took 20 days them to arrive via USPS while shipments from amb took only 5 days (seller did post them on time, can see it from USPS sticker)... perhaps this one got stuck in customs and amb's shipment did not.

But back to business, soldered the chip into the PCB and... nothing. No sound at all. Bugger. This time I was sure of my solder joints so figured out that it must be due to flux - I mean I had extremely odd problems with gamma-1 until I cleaned the PCB throughoutly, quick cleaning with isopropyl alcohol did not wok... So once again I found myself playing with one litre bottle of spiritus fortis
wink_face.gif
Look at it shine after good bath:

gamma2_top_small.jpg

Afterwards, instant music. Impressions? Does kick ass
ksc75smile.gif
No way I use this at work with laptop like I planned beforehand, this goes to my desktop system.

Thank you again everyone for making this class of DIY possible!

- J

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #1,560 of 2,154
Hi guys, quick questions:

What's filter selection for? And what's anti-clipping mean?

Also, case-mountable optical jacks I can get in case I want to use my own case?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back